Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are all stains stubborn or are some also impossible?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I have some vintage linens that have yellowed areas on white. I have applied Oxyclean, bleach, and color safe whiteners and some just stay. Is there a secret to getting them out? Also, if someone knows the science as to why I can't bleach out a stain I'd love to hear the explanation. :)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If truly linen...

then they need to be laid on green grass in the sun and for some reason that bleaches them.
Hydrogen peroxide in the sun also works really well on any naturally white thing - straw hats, fabrics, even leather...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Grate a bar of Fels-Naptha into a fine powder, pour it into an old pickle jar. Add one cup of washing soda. Shake well to blend. Use a half-cup of this mixture per load, in warm to hot water. If this doesn't get the stains out, nothing will. Plus, it's really really really cheap.

pgoat

One Too Many
That's a good one to save, Lizzie - thank you.

I doubt it will work on the OP's linens but for small tough stains (grease, etc.) I recommend hand washing/spot treating/nail brush scrubbing with a little woolite and water. It's saved many an article of clothing for me after a bike ride left its mark(s).

We used to use an ancient bottle of Victoria's Secret Lingerie cleaner for this, till it ran out and we couldn't find a current equivalent product from them - it worked great, although I suspect it was probably re branded Woolite at a much higher price.:rolleyes:

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
how long did you use the oxi-clean for? i had amazing results with it the other day - i found a 1940s skirt with attached undershorts that was at one point white with blue trim, but at this point it was really yellowed and stained. i soaked it for 3 days and it came out nearly perfectly white, and the blue is still vibrant!

I have just taken receipt of a book put out by "The Tailor and Cutter" in the 1930s. Called Clothes Cleaning and Renovating. Undoubtedly the most concise and informative book i've encountered for stain removal. I believe the book was designed for use by "Men's Men". There is a specific portion about yellowing of white linens/cottons. When i'm a little less drink-infused tomorrow i'll post some of the advice.

bk

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
ShooShooBaby said:
how long did you use the oxi-clean for? i had amazing results with it the other day - i found a 1940s skirt with attached undershorts that was at one point white with blue trim, but at this point it was really yellowed and stained. i soaked it for 3 days and it came out nearly perfectly white, and the blue is still vibrant!

Oh I only soaked a few hours!

Idledame

Practically Family
I'v even used ordinary hand soap, but it's amazing how soaking for 24 hours or longer makes a huge difference sometimes. Everytime you walk by, agitate the water a bit or add a bit of warm water (not hot-it can set some stains).

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I spilled a bit of red wine a couple of weeks ago on one of my favorite vintage white dinner jackets. The dry cleaners can't get it out. Is it too late?

Not that it helps you at this point, but for future reference, one of the best things to help prevent red wine from staining is to rub salt into the stain directly after spilling the wine. The salt helps absorb the extra wine to prevent it from staining as badly.

I spilled a bit of red wine a couple of weeks ago on one of my favorite vintage white dinner jackets. The dry cleaners can't get it out. Is it too late?

Don't forget that dry cleaning uses a fluid that disolves grease and oils. It manages to to take out dirt particles that are attached to them.

The fluid does poorly on non-grease and oils such as some food spills, to get those out you must tell the cleaners where and what you spilled so they can use a different spot cleaning.

Sugars and carbs are not removed by dry cleaning and if the fabric is pressed with it still in there the heat of the press cooks and caramelizes the sugars and carbs to create an immoveable stain that is more of a "burned in" stain.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Something I always used on stained garments is more a state of mind than any product. Let me put it like this:

Are you going to want to wear the garment with said stain?

Would you be self-consious about wearing the garment with the stain?

Do you really like the garment but hate the thought of throwing it out, donating it or cutting it ionto rags?

If this is the case then nothing, I repeat NOTHING you do to the garment can make matters worse. So don't be afraid to get really agressive in you stain fighting!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I repeat NOTHING you do to the garment can make matters worse. So don't be afraid to get really agressive in you stain fighting!
Not the best advise. I've made stains much worse when I should have just taken the garment to the professionals. I've learned my lesson.

MadameMarcie

New in Town
Oxiclean works great, but like ShooShooBaby pointed out, you really need to soak it for a long time - 3 days is not unusual for me to be soaking anything either. I use the hottest water that's safe for the item and I also change the water (and Oxiclean) every day until the item is clean. I've used this method on a lot of vintage linens and it's worked great!

Another item I've found that works great on other stains is Carbona Stain Devils. There are 9 different formulas for different types of stains. I'm especially fond of the rust remover formula. It's also worked great on my vintage linens.

Good luck!

Marcia

Something I always used on stained garments is more a state of mind than any product. Let me put it like this: Are you going to want to wear the garment with said stain? Would you be self-conscious about wearing the garment with the stain? Do you really like the garment but hate the thought of throwing it out, donating it or cutting it into rags?

If this is the case then nothing, I repeat NOTHING you do to the garment can make matters worse. So don't be afraid to get really agressive in you stain fighting!

I'd just add that I would get aggressive after trying a least a few stain removing products and found they did not work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24