Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are suits for work on the way out?

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I think it will swing back. Personally, I feel more in the mood to work when I'm in a suite. If I'm just in a shirt and jeans, I'm more likely to become a slacker that day...

I think more people are like that than would admit (present company excluded, of course). Soon, business will figure this out.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It works both ways. Businesses already discovered, as mentioned in the article, that people become better communicators in less formal offices. There are pros and cons to everything. The article's brief aside on the uselessness of the tie made me chuckle a little.

James71

A-List Customer
I used to dress very casually in an office where there are people dressed in everything from jeans and humourous T shirts right through to the suit and tie. When my boss was retiring he gave me some good advice about dressing for attitude. When Im dressed in my suit and tie I feel like am at work. Im a little more confident, and little more professional. Its more about setting my frame of mind than any regard for what other people think of what I am wearing.

Also, the bosses all wear suits. When you dress like they do there is a subtle mental shift and you slowly become more accepted amongst them.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
I very much agree with James21. I feel much more confident in a suite.

A little aside. The family and I to Shul yesterday. We all dressed up for the occasion as we usually do. My brother, who is staying with us, stayed at home and slept in. When we returned, he was awake and commented "wow, you really look good!" I was in a suite. Anyway, this got us talking. We both figured out that, when one goes somewhere in a suite, they are usually treated different. I find personally, that I seem to get more respect; maybe it's the culture of the Twin Cities? In Texas where I grew up, most people are really polite, but I remember my father getting a little more respect when he wore a suite too.

That being said, I belong to another sub-culture (being a religious Jew) than just those of us who enjoy vintage clothing and lifestyle. We have a little idea called "Tzniut" which translates usually as modesty. The belief is that if you dress modestly, people will see you as a person and not just a body. Also like what my brother and I were discussing, for what ever reason, people will treat you a little different if you are in a suite and tie versus white tank top with ketchup stains, cut off shorts, and flip-flops. That being said, I DO think one should dress for the occasion. However, I prefer to dress a little more up and a little more modestly for every occasion.

A little off topic, but as soon as I finish losing the rest of my weight and can fit into my suites again, I'll probably wear them every day unless I'm working in the yard or something similar.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
First of all, if anybody at my workplace, like my boss, tried to get close enough to verify if my underwear was skin toned, my next steps would be contacting HR and a lawyer. That dress code was stupid.

The idea of a suit without a tie just is not tasteful to me. I've seen men do it, but I think they'd look better in a tie (even a loose one at that). I like ties. The only exception to this would be a sport's coat with fitted dark jeans, but even then- I think a tie would make it better.

One of the things that I hate about the casualization of the workplace is that suddenly it puts a lot more pressure on people to buy more clothes. Rather than getting away with a few nice suits and enough tops for a week or two (which can be worn year round) a lady in a business casual office suddenly needs to have seasonal clothes, and much more variety. That means more variety in tops, skirts, pants, shoes, jewerly, etc. (I would assume the same for gentlemen, but of course in male-appropriate wear.) I think this is particularly hard if you are just starting out OR work in a place where you have to wear stuff that is "in style." Female suit designs seem to stay in style longer than other types of clothing it seems.

I'd much rather work in a business formal setting than a business casual, just because of the amount of clothes the second requires.

Feraud

Bartender
But doesn't this rush towards chinos, shirts and jumpers signal a lowering of the tone and a loss of focus?

"I disagree," says Prof Cooper. "There's no definitive research on the effect of dress on productivity. But I'd be surprised if we didn't find that smart casual saw productivity rise. The more informal an office - as long as it's not slovenly - the better the communication. It's about making the office less stressful."
Seems like a contradictory opinion..

Charlie74

Familiar Face
When I first started working for my company 16 years ago. We were required to wear if not a suit, at least a shirt and tie. Then we went to business casual with jeans Friday's.

I also feel better when dressed. I frequently still wear ties and get the usual "do you have a job interview" question. I also wear ascots at work occassionally as I just enjoy being what I hope is a decently dressed gentleman. I just feel better when I wear what is comfortable to me and that is just not jeans and t-shirts at the office

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well look who's talking; I haven't worn an actual suit in over a year, a black suit on a cruise ship and at evenings, but this is a mode of dress that I find very respectable for office-type jobs. It's kind of sad to witness the decline of the suit in business settings, but at least they're still present. Something's got to be done to make suits seem more approachable and casual. I don't think fashion models are doing enough for that, if anything they may be turning people away from the style, whether it is due to their messy hairstyles or their too-tight dark suits, almost always black or dark grey. Then there's another thing, it seems that for most dress codes that do require suits, they are to be the standard charcoal grey, or black ones. It certainly is conservative, and I consider myself a conservative person, but I think many people may think suits are "boring" for that reason. Why not allow brown, tan, olive, lighter than dark navy blue, or lighter grey colored suits? A charcoal or black suit can still look sharp, and well put together, but I would like to see dress codes, instead of going just business casual like everyone else, allow for suit/sport coat color variety.

The subject of the tie on other hand, I can see why people might hate them, but why not allow loosely tied neckties as well? Sure, it may be unkempt looking, but it can seem cool if done right. I have a theory that if we're ever to see a massive, large-scale return of the business suit and necktie at the work-place again, variety will likely have to be allowed to make wearing them seem attractive, cool, hip, and whatever else individuals may identify them as. Right now, suits and ties mainly project an overly serious, uninteresting, or boring look, I'm assuming, as they are on the decline.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I haven't worn a suit to work in over 25 years. Having to wear a suit at work is more the exception than the rule these days and the decline is not a recent phenomenon. There are certain professions, especially those where meeting the customer or public is part of the normal day to day, where suits have remained prevalent, but it hasn't been a widespread thing for quite some time now.

brspiritus

One of the Regulars
Astrid, equity sales: A dress or skirt usually, definitely if I'm meeting clients. Sometimes jeans. In general men have trousers that are far too short, bad shoes and awful hair styles. Women wear "sexy" outfits with fishnet tights and low cut tops.

If I walked into a Home Loan place and the people were dressed like this I think I'd just walk out, "Sorry I was under the impression you were a professional outfit."

Minnesota Marco

New in Town
Personally, I think that the suit will always be with us, even in the work place. Many fashion pundits have declared the suit dead, ever since the 60s. But it keeps coming back. Some occupations, e.g., banking and high-end jewelry sales, have never abandoned the suit (although what passed for a suit in the 1970s really stretched the term). When I look at photos of me, during that era, wearing powder-blue leisure suits to work, I cringe. What was I thinking?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I think that the suit will always be with us, even in the work place. Many fashion pundits have declared the suit dead, ever since the 60s. But it keeps coming back. Some occupations, e.g., banking and high-end jewelry sales, have never abandoned the suit (although what passed for a suit in the 1970s really stretched the term). When I look at photos of me, during that era, wearing powder-blue leisure suits to work, I cringe. What was I thinking?

Wait, so those leisure suits were actually work appropriate during the 1970s? I thought it was more of casual wear in general.

Tiller

Practically Family
I haven't been around here recently, but wasn't there an article not to long ago, about the return of the suit in the office? Especially among people 20-30?

Minnesota Marco

New in Town
Yes, leisure suits were not just leisurely. We simply knotted a wide loud necktie with the outfit and we were golden. Platform shoes completed the ensemble. And one's hair had to cover (or nearly so) the ears.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Yes, leisure suits were not just leisurely. We simply knotted a wide loud necktie with the outfit and we were golden. Platform shoes completed the ensemble. And one's hair had to cover (or nearly so) the ears.

Indeed, my first wedding was in 1976 (in the UK) and I wore a made to measure green three piece suit with w-i-d-e flairs, cream coloured platform shoes and wide tie. All topped off with shoulder length hair.

I considered myself an example of contemporary elegance at the time. My dad said I looked like a clown and he was right :D

I've not owned a suit for 10 or 15 years, although I'm thinking of changing that.

JimWagner

Practically Family
If I walked into a Home Loan place and the people were dressed like this I think I'd just walk out, "Sorry I was under the impression you were a professional outfit."

Not at all arguing with that, but...

I've experienced a number of instances where I've been walking through stores while wearing a suit and had to fend off multiple customers who apparently thought I worked there. I guess that I was not wearing a name tag didn't register.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Not at all arguing with that, but...

I've experienced a number of instances where I've been walking through stores while wearing a suit and had to fend off multiple customers who apparently thought I worked there. I guess that I was not wearing a name tag didn't register.

Guilty as charged, too :D . Not so much these days, as I am favouring more the bow tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran