Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the new jacket prices changing your buying habits?

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Horsehide jackets now are at or over $1000. Although I wasn't in the market then, my understanding is 10 years ago they were half as much or less. This is becoming a very expensive hobby! My income isn't keeping up. (Seems the government is printing money faster than I can earn it.) Anyway, I'm just wondering if the new prices are changing your buying habits: are you delaying a purchase, looking at cowhide jackets, textile jackets, other clothing items, etc? I don't know about you, but I have sticker shock. Just curious how you're all coping.

Here's a neat vintage reproduction jacket by Dehen that is a sweet jacket for probably not a lot of money vs. a horsehide jacket. I don't know the price of this jacket or where you can buy it, but it's called the Bradford jacket by Dehen. I love it in all-black.

http://www.dehenjackets.com/subs/stock_jackets.html

If anybody knows the price of this jacket or has other jacket suggestions, please post them. Of course, the Harrington G9 is a perennial favorite for under $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I'm doing is having fewer, "better" jackets. It's actually better. My closet is getting a little roomy, and the jackets I have I love.
I also think the used market is great.
I have a jacket like the one you link to above for my 10-year anniversary for work. It's pretty darn nice. The back is embroidered with the company logo, etc. and it's high quality. Not the same brand, but looks extremely similar. I don't wear it much - more of a memento.
Used is also a good way to get a "new" jacket and not worry about it being perfect. It's already got it's "first dents" so you can best it without guilt :)

kojax

Practically Family
horsehide jackets have gone up the a2 real mccoy last year was 17.00.00 i just saw one this year 2.390.00 same a-2 jacket crazy money

Cooperson

One Too Many
"Are the new jacket prices changing your buying habits?"

Have to say yes - I find myself searching more and more for used and vintage leathers. New jackets are now serious money!

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Certainly making me a more "critical" shopper (and I'm betting I'm not the only one based on the number of "new" coats listed on the Aero for sale page that would appear to be returns....). While Aero makes a wonderful product, sizing issues, mismatched hides, etc. are that much more difficult to overlook when the coat costs $1,000. And I must say that while everyone has a different idea about fit many of the coats I see posted on this site look too big, too boxy and, with the notable exception of the coat that is currently for sale on eBay :), too short.

My solution? I'll plan a side trip to Scotland next time I'm going that way. Expensive? Yes, but worth it to get the coat you want.

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Honestly the new prices haven't affected my buying habits. At this point in my life I have a tough time justifying the purchase an Aero or any other high quality maker. For now Ill stick with the Bay and thrift/vintage store scrounging. For me its seems that much more of a victory when I find one of these orphans for 20 quid and for that price Im willing to take the chance and take it to the tailor or even practice a little leather-work myself.

Edward

Bartender
Mostly I buy used, so no, not really. My next A2 will be a Bill Kelso rather than an Aero Real Deal, though, since the latter jumped in price.

D

Deleted member 16736

Dehen just launched their 1920 website: https://www.dehen1920.com/collection

Their stuff is pricey, but at lot less expensive than horsehide. The varsity jacket is a thing of beauty in navy and old gold with bison leather sleeves. I also like the shawl collar cardigan in navy.

earl

A-List Customer
I have a rather cheap but nice leather bomber I bought some 10+ years ago that had started to "fall apart" a bit. So, thought I'd casually look around to possbily replace it, perusing various shops. Floored by the price increase-in general, now find it would take over twice what I paid for that jacket to replace it. On my budget, simply cannot justify the outlay for leather and have now turned to attractive wool blend offerings that do it for me. earl

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Favorite, obsessive hobby is trying to score the perfect jacket at half price via eBay. Tho, I gotta admit, I've gotten so exhausted by it recently that I finally broke down and plomped a wad on a new Kelso A2... (Kelso seems best for the med pricepoint IMO).

If you got the patience (e.g. maybe a year or so), go for a used one. you'll feel like a champ when you finally score thee jacket :D

DonW

New in Town
Just bought an FQHH Aero Highwayman on ebay, described as 'hardly worn', I will let you know what it's like when it arrives, asked for it to be posted in the new year so it doesn't get lost in the Xmas post mayhem, cost £255 (approx $400), this will be my second Highwayman, the first is oil pull steer hide.

D

Deleted member 16736

I have a rather cheap but nice leather bomber I bought some 10+ years ago that had started to "fall apart" a bit. So, thought I'd casually look around to possbily replace it, perusing various shops. Floored by the price increase-in general, now find it would take over twice what I paid for that jacket to replace it. On my budget, simply cannot justify the outlay for leather and have now turned to attractive wool blend offerings that do it for me. earl

Himel Bros is making a wool and leather jacket. Maybe we can nudge the leather gurus to make some combo jackets at a lower price point.

And Diamond Sportswear is making an absolutely gorgeous wool and horsehide 30's halfbelt. Hope these become permanent soon so I can buy it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sty..._Clothing&hash=item43ab005382#ht_13178wt_1398

Last edited by a moderator:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I can readily afford $1000 for a jacket. But I don't like the idea of owning a piece of clothing that costs that much. I won't be buying one new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis