Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you aware that I have not owned a Television for 5 years?

ValleyBoy

Familiar Face
And I have not died. I must give some scenery to this story. In my youth, my father and mother were die-hard couch potatoes. It was perfectly normal for me to watch 6-9hrs of television daily. Do you realize how much life I lost? Countless hours, lessened memories, and unlearned skills all lost to that mindless tube. When I got married 5 years ago, I made an active decision not to have a TV. My wife has supported me on the condition that we own a computer that can play DVD's. And so we live. I tend to my animals, work on my vehichles, reload my ammo, and work on my doctorate. My wife knits and cans, and bathes our dog. together we watch the Thin Man Series and other classic films. And we live. We keep informed of current events via the internet, but we avoid what passes for news on TV at all costs. Oddly enough, when I go to people's homes who have TV, I am struck by two observations: First, is how TV has changed so little. It is still inane and redundant. And secondly, I grow so bored (unstimulated) by it now. I really feel its taxation on my mind. Anyone else in this boat?

Cacklewack

One of the Regulars
I, too, threw out the T.V. a few years ago in favor of the time wasting machine that offers so much more: The computer. While I didn't watch much television in the past, I'm always willing to stare at a computer monitor for more hours than are healthy. :)

Matt

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Same here.

I rarely watch the idiot box. Haven't really watched much at all for the last 20 years or so. Anymore I just watch an occasional movie or classic cartoons or comedies like The 3 Stooges.
I read about a study that was done in the 70s about the relation between a person's television consumption and their level of creativity. I was not surprised to hear that the study concluded that the people that watched the most television were the least creative. The television watchers scored lower on tests for creativity. This confirmed my resolve to just leave the idiot box turned off,...a blank screen, rather than allow it to turn my mind into a blank screen. :(
I actually watched a little bit tonight at my brother's place as I am dog-sitting for him while he is on vacation.:eusa_doh:
The overall style of it all, the commercials and even the regular programs just creeps me out. :eek: I think "programing" is a very appropriate term for the stuff I saw.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I watch TV, but I get bored of it very easily. I have a few shows I get hooked on (shamefully, America's Next Top Model is one of them), but other than that I don't even turn on the TV. I'm much more addicted to the internet!

I do have a TV in my bedroom though, but it only gets turned on in the mornings to watch the horrible "news" show Good Day L.A. while I'm getting ready in the morning, or really late at night when I'm trying to wait up for my boyfriend to call. It doesn't get much use other than that though.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
I use my televisions for video/film production projects. Nothing more. If you're happy without one, stick with it.

My dad however doesn't watch television, he flys through the channels. A second has to catch his eye. I don't know why he watches at all.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I couldn't get rid of my TV. Being the huge calssic movie buff that I am, I NEED my Turner Classic Movies or I think I just *might* die!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I think I'd still consider watching DVDs on a computer the same thing as having a tv. My computer doesn't play DVDs and my tv viewing is mostly non-commerical channels...I gotta watch my Antiques Roadshow!

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I read about a study that was done in the 70s about the relation between a person's television consumption and their level of creativity. I was not surprised to hear that the study concluded that the people that watched the most television were the least creative.

I definitely disagree with that 30 year-old study!!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love television. I pick and choose what I watch, but it never ceases to amaze me. TCM is great; the History Channel is great; HBO has great series; even the networks are getting better. Also, I love the news channels and CBS Sunday Morning.

I pick and choose what I watch: "Rome," "House," "24," "Sunday Morning," and "The Sopranos" are the only shows I schedule myself for.

I see nothing wrong with anyone watching anything that they find enjoyable or enlightening. Life is too short to deny yourself simple and harmless pleasures. ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I watch TCM and the Red Sox, and that's about it -- I work nights at the theatre, so I don't really have the chance to follow any of the current shows, and I don't think I could even name any of them.

What surprises me, though, is that I never watch TV news anymore. I grew up on Walter Cronkite, and was in the habit of snapping on the TV whenever there was a breaking story. But after 9/11, something happened -- and I just couldn't watch TV news anymore. I'm not sure what it was, but I haven't watched it regularly since then.

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
I love television. I pick and choose what I watch, but it never ceases to amaze me. TCM is great; the History Channel is great; HBO has great series; even the networks are getting better. Also, I love the news channels and CBS Sunday Morning.

I pick and choose what I watch: "Rome," "House," "24," "Sunday Morning," and "The Sopranos" are the only shows I schedule myself for.

I see nothing wrong with anyone watching anything that they find enjoyable or enlightening. Life is too short to deny yourself simple and harmless pleasures. ;)
:eusa_clap Agreed!

Same here. I love my television, dvd, player, etc. My son even has the Nintendo Wii! Contrary to popular belief, I do not think we are training a future mass murderer.
Everything is fine in moderation and all that talk..

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
We did not have TV when I was growing up. Me and my siblings were the only family we knew of that did not have a TV, and it was great. We could still go to my Grandmother and watch shows at her TV if there was something we really wanted to watch, (she lived in a separate flat in our house), but we seldom did. We read, played, did several arts and craft projects and went hiking in the nearby woods. For family fun, we played guitar and sang, played adventure games (like Monkey Island) on the computer, (that is much more fun doing it together the whole family,) or played table top role playing games. (Dungeons and Dragons.) Yes, I know this sounds like a mad hippie family, but it was a great way to grow up, very social and creative.

When I moved out, me and my flatmates got an old TV. And I discovered a side effect of my TV-free upbringing: I was not properly vaccinated to the stupid TV shows. Kids with TV would normally get obsessed with shows like Berverly Hills 90210 when they are 13-14 years, and then they gradually grows tired of it and moves on to other TV shows ore away from the TV. Not me: I was 19 and obsessed, I watched every episode of the silly shows I had not watched as a child.

Now I am slowly recovering. Me and my husband has not yet gotten around to hook up the TV after we moved, (it's been three months,) and I hardly miss it. We watch favorite shows on DVD on the computer instead. And I frankly think that is the big difference for me: It is nothing wrong with watching a show you really enjoy and like to watch. It is the mindless canal surfing when you spend hours watching things you really have no desire to watch, that I don't want anymore.

We are thinking about throwing out the TV, and instead live like my parents: They still have no TV, but they have bought a projector and a big home movie screen, and all the shows and movies they like, (mostly Peter Wimsey, Foyles War and other classic crime shows,) on DVD. The screen got them to, at last. But, in a different way.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Quigley Brown said:
I definitely disagree with that 30 year-old study!!!
I know. I think it was only concerned with commercial television. Must have been now that I think of some of the stuff that was on back then. Most of it was just plain heinous, I'd say 95%, and there was no cable.
Now there are somewhat more options,...The History channel, a movie here and there, and TCM, but our cable company was recently bought by Time Warner,(I think[huh] ) and they took a lot of the watchable stuff off! :rage:
I try to watch some of the commercial stuff,...I really do, but stuff like the news, "reality" shows, and all that drivel just leaves me cold. :eusa_doh:

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I don't have cable and I've gone for such long periods of time without a tv that I'm not really in the habit of watching it. I turn it on if there is something I want to watch - like Lost or Heroes or Intelligence, or The National or TVO's Saturday Night at the Movies - or if I want to watch a dvd. I catch up on (the good) stuff from cable when it comes out on dvd, as I did with Deadwood, Carnivale, The Shield, Six Feet Under and a few others I can't recall off hand.

I do cultivate friendships with cable subscribers however so that when the Sopranos is on I can get it on tape as the episodes air. ;)

TV is much better than it was a decade or two ago. In fact, this may very well be its golden age. I think the really stupid stuff is now in the movies.

Naama

Practically Family
Sure I own a tv... I think it can be pretty usefull at times :rolleyes: There are a few shows (ok, at the moment theres only despereta housewifes :D ) which I watch regularly if possible.... But there are sometimes really interesting stuff on tv, like documentations or some news, movies, you stumble across in the middle of the night because you can't sleep...... And since I'm pretty interested in movies and don't have the money to buy everything on DVD it's pretty usefull! So, I think it doesn't hurt to own one... Since, you can choose for yourself when to switch it off/on!

Naama

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I grew up with the stupid TV on about 18 hours per day. That was about all my mother did--sit around and watch TV. She developed a lot of health problems from such a sedentary lifestyle and never seemed very happy.

When I first moved out of the house, I did not have a TV. In fact, my father dropped one off when I wasn't home and I made him take it back.

Now, I do have another of my dad's old TVs, and I watch a few shows (Northern Exposure, anything to do with dancing and the odd PBS show), but entire days go by without my turning it on.

olive bleu

One Too Many
We didn't have a tv for the first 2 years after we were married, basically because we couldn't afford one.It was kind of nice, we listened to the radio and read books aloud to each other.But, my other half is a tv freak, and that couldn't last even if i wanted it to.

he is also such a remote control hog, i honestly couldn't tell you what's on that's worth watching;)

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I did like to watch TV when I lifted weights. Somehow, it made the workout easier. Now I watch an exercise video. Again, it just makes it easier somehow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW