Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are You Ready for Felt, Yet?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
In the spirit of Labor Day, and the arrival of what was once the end of straw season...

Those of you who, like me, are confined to straw hats all summer because you can't handle the warmth of felt in the warmer months; Do you ever get to a certain point when, no matter how nice your straw hats are, you are simply dying to get back into a felt lid? That point in the summer where you catch yourself staring longingly at your felt hats as they sit... wherever it is you keep them in the off-season.

If so, when does that urge usually hit you? Does it depend on what you've acquired over the summer, or is it just a matter of time? Am I totally alone in this? Am I simply mad? :eek:

made the change...

once warm weather (70 and above) is a regular occurrence, I box up all but one felt and bust out my 3 akubra poly straws, and once we have a couple of days w/ high's in the 60's, do the exact opposite.

with that said, last night I adjusted the crease in my campdraft and snapped down the brim of my Stratton and that's what I've worn over the last couple of days

IMG_4880.JPG

James71

A-List Customer
We are headed the other way. I wore my straw for the first time today, though its still quite cool here (about 14degC).

This time of the year I can pick and choose.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Usually Summer lasts in Pasadena until November. Last two days have been in the 70s, so I've switched to felt for now.

But, yes, I prefer my felt hats and miss them during the Summer.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Blackthorn said:
It's definitely fur felt here and now. It's downright chilly at night, when I work. I love it!

I hear you. Over here in Rancho Cucamonga it was the same. It was nice and cloudy today at a high of 67 °F. I wore my Stetson Nostalgia.

DSC02621.jpg

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Another vote for felt from unseasonably cool Los Angeles.
Of course it was 107 last Saturday so the straws are not getting packed away yet

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Mike,
I put away the panamas and such just this evening! Mind reader!
I even fired up the kettle and did a little steaming, changed a crease or two and recurled some brims. I'm ready!

Duper

Practically Family
It has been in the high 60's and raining frequently over the last few days. My bluegrass green CD or fawn Banjo have been my headwear of choice since September arrived. It sure does feel good to get the felts back in the rotation.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
No NotBogart 13, you're not mad. :) I'm having the same craving. I've been wearing my straws or my Tilleys this summer and now looking forward to getting out the felts. I had ordered a Cattleman from Hatsdirect, it came in today, so I've worn it around the home site today. Good looking hat! I'll try to post some pics of it soon. Looking forward to a little cooler weather here in Kentucky so I can get out the Campdrafts and the Fed IV.

Preacher Man

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing my squatter for the last couple weeks, on account of forgetting my panama at home (it is coming, as is a new one, but too late). Luckily there is a cold front coming through, so the felt is here to stay.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm always ready for felt. Now and then over the summer months, I throw one on in the house just so I can really enjoy a hat.

Big_e

Practically Family
Finally, cooler weather coming in! I can dress like a person again! I've already began wearing my sportcoats. I mean, I could dress nice in the summer but I'd be sweating like crazy. 90's and high 80's is more reasonable.
I'm stashing my straws and getting out my felts, wool caps and berets.
Ernest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland