Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arm Hole Placement in Aero Jackets

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Mark-D wrote this statement on 11-15-2012: I received the message that Aero no longer will adjust the placement of the sleeve armholes or the shape of the sleeves on their half belts. So from now on they only offer the half belt with low set armholes and wide sleeves.

I was just wondering if the arm hole placement makes a difference with somebody like me. I am 6"0 tall with a fairly big chest and fairly big arms. I know that OldCrow82 sent back a jacket last year (I think it was a Highwayman) that had arm holes that didn't fit him (he's very tall and lean with long arms).

Here is a link to the pics of OldCrow82 http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?56020-My-Aero-Highwayman-after-6-months-wear&highlight=

Can somebody tell me about the advantages of having "low set" arm holes? Is it mainly to be true to the way jackets were cut in the period that the manufacturer is striving to imitate, or are there other practical "fit related" advantages?

I guess it's a moot point if jackets are only made that way by Aero these days, but I was just curious. I really like Aero a lot. Very fine establishment.

Wide sleeves are no big deal to me. I'm mainly curious about the arm holes.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
In general terms wider arm holes look less streamlined, sloppier and less golden era in design. They can add extra material to the jacket's side making it look like flying squirrel wings when you hold your arms out to the side. Narrow armholes are sleeker and more 1930's-40's period accurate. But most people don't notice or care about the difference. I prefer narrow armholes - just makes the jacket look sharper. If you're overweight or a large gym kind of guy they may not fit.

Graemsay

Practically Family
Sometimes I think that people here get a bit OCD when ordering an Aero. To my eyes there's nothing wrong with the fit of this jacket, and the sleeves don't look unduly large.

IMG_0281.jpg

If you're worried about the sleeves, and they can get quite wide in the bigger sizes, then look at the Thirties halfbelt cut.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I think Holly recently explained that there was a minimum size the armhole could be as they stitch the lining in the the jacket inside out and then have pull the arms right way through which must be tricky with some of those heavy horsehides. I wouldn't say the standard 30s HB pattern has particularly low set or wide arms, mine is definitely trimmer through the arms than my HWM. However, I have seen vintage pieces with higher set armhole placements but they've generally not been as thick as Aero's Heavy FQHH.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes I think that people here get a bit OCD when ordering an Aero. To my eyes there's nothing wrong with the fit of this jacket, and the sleeves don't look unduly large.

IMG_0281.jpg

If you're worried about the sleeves, and they can get quite wide in the bigger sizes, then look at the Thirties halfbelt cut.

How can you tell from that photo.

Fifties designs have larger armholes and the Highwayman has those.

The aero 1930's has narrow holes as is period correct.

This armhole size thing applies to all jackets not just aero. A bad A2 repo will have large upper arms and wide holes spoiling the look. But it is personal taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy