Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art (by Dinerman)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
At Canadave's suggestion, this will become the thread in which I will put my art. Some will probably be works in progress, some will be finished. I hope you enjoy.

Here's some stuff I did in art class that I thought i'd share.
I finished the Snow White Grill one today.

--Picture #1 is a place in Richmond, VA that was originally a '30's white tower hamburger place. It has since been remodeled, but still has a cool look to it. (It used to look a whole heck of a lot cooler though)
--Picture #2 is a self- portrait based on a picture my dad took of me in the Snow White Grill in Winchester, VA. I'm there at the end of the counter eating a slider. My hat and jacket are hanging behind me.
-- Picture #3 is a train we saw in Kingman, AZ when we did Rt.66 through AZ a year and a half ago.

valentinos.jpg

dinerinterior.jpg

train.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A slider's a type of hamburger. Sometimes called slyders or belly bombers. The type of thing white castle does, white tower and little tavern did, and hundreds of little funky places still do. They're about two inches square, covered in chopped onion and steamed on a soft bun. They are then topped with a slice of pickle, ketchup and mustard. Very comfort-food type.

My other stuff is posted
here
here (and I should probably post a picture of that one now that it's finished
here
and I have a whole bunch more that I don't have scanned that I like better, but just haven't posted.

Canadave

One Too Many
You're very talented. Why don't you just continue to post to the same thread? Then, we who "subscribe" will always be notified of your new posts?

David

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
makes sense, This thread will be the thread where I put my art from now on. Whether anyone will look at it is a completely different story.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Nice job! I really like that second one. Very good composition and use of line which lead right back to your center of interest. Good use of those elements of design!

P.S. Your business card rocks and I'm not just saying that because I'm an Art Teacher at Lebanon High School. I need more talented kids in class like you! :eusa_clap

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Here are my memories of Lebanon.
We ate at the Eat well diner( just before they moved to NY), Mel's diner (the former Lincoln diner), Heisey's diner, The Kumm Esse diner, and Ernie Risser's diner. We only looked at the old diner that's now Horn&Horn's.
We also popped in a thrift shop in downtown, I can't remember the name, but they had a great vintage section in the basement, where I picked up a mint condition '40's Champ for two bucks.

Not a bad memory in the group. Are all those places still there?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Please, tell us more

Dinerman said:
they're digital.

<snip>

If it wouldn't take away the mystery for others, would you be willing to share more about how these works come to be? For example, the software and features you used, (e.g., Adobe Illustrator Live Paint, Photoshop filters, etc.); techniques, (e.g., scanning a pen drawing then modifying in software, etc.); what about the subject got your interest, and so on.

I enjoy hearing about the artist's process as much as seeing the result.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Palace Diner in Biddeford, ME
8x10 pen on illustration board
This one's going to be on the cover of the menu of the Palace pretty soon, so if you're up in that area, keep an eye out.

Hm... artists process on this one. It's all eyeballed, which made getting proportions a bit tricky. My had starts cramping something awful when I do stippling for too long, so It took longer to do than I would have liked. The effect looks cool though.
lastscan1.jpg

here's a photo of what the place looks like in real life
http://www.agilitynut.com/p/paldiner.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
DeeDub said:
If it wouldn't take away the mystery for others, would you be willing to share more about how these works come to be? For example, the software and features you used, (e.g., Adobe Illustrator Live Paint, Photoshop filters, etc.); techniques, (e.g., scanning a pen drawing then modifying in software, etc.); what about the subject got your interest, and so on.

I enjoy hearing about the artist's process as much as seeing the result.

The digital ones were done on Corel Painter 9 at school. I took the photos which they're based on, and then turned them into vector drawings using the program. You put a piece of digital "tracing paper" over the image, pick a color, and block it out freehand.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
Being that I am from Manheim, in Lancaster County, which is down the road 30min. from Lebanon, I'm not sure if all those places still exist. I can tell you the kumm esse is still there and still has good strawberry pie in season. And that thrift shop is probably called peggy's place. Which I checked out today because she is going out of business. 25% off all her vintage items!

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Keep it up my man, keep it up.

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
The Palace Diner in Biddeford, ME
8x10 pen on illustration board

<stuff deleted> My had starts cramping something awful when I do stippling for too long, so It took longer to do than I would have liked. The effect looks cool though.
<ditto>

The photo is nice. But you can't beat that handmade halftone look. It may have been hard work, but judging by the result, it was worth it.

The reflections in the windows are a nice touch; it's the details like that that bring life to artwork.

Mahinatakataka

New in Town
Wow

Hey Again, Dinerman,

We collect some art (which by no means makes me an expert!) but I really like these. You've got talent, kid!

My father used to sometimes take the Winchester route through to Tucker County. It was a treat to stop at a tiny diner there across from the train depot (which last I knew had been revamped into a community theatre). That diner had THE BEST milkshakes in the known universe. :D

Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24