Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco Architecture

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There's even some Art Deco in Hilo, Hawaii, on the Big Island. It's another Kress building, built in 1932.

19980331152024.jpg

http://gohawaii.about.com/library/gallery/blhilo_57.htm

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
The Miami candy colored palette was a 1980's deco revival scheme, the original buildings were generally painted white.

Also keep in mind that before the 1980s, the whole of South Beach and that area was filled with crime-ridden scum and was a veritable ghetto. Say what you will about the "Vice" look, but it was the best thing to happen to that area since the buildings went up. It was very depressing before 1984 or so. Plus, downtown Miami is refurbishing several Deco buildings and in the original white. I'll take pics soon and post them...

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
...Sunset Tower ... new ownership has done the unthinkable... and, the unforgivable! They changed the interiors from Art Deco to... well, who knows what but, it's a mortal sin! ...

sunsettower.jpg

=WR=

WHAT! WHAT!!! WHAT!!!! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !@#$%@$!#$!%%!#@%@%!!!#!#$@$@!:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

That's a disgrace! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!!!!! MORONS!!!
I heard they were going to restore the interior. Ah CRAP! I wanted to check that place out while I was there. DOH!

and oh, i almost forgot....

WHY!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!:eek: :rage: :eek:

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
... The Perth Art Deco Society is quite pro-active and has saved many buildings from destruction in the last 20 years.

BRAVO!!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D :D :D

I have a few pals in Melbourne that are very active in the preservation of the deco style. I hope I can get there for the next Art Deco World Congress. I have heard about so much great art deco (art dingo:p ) architecture down there.

here's a link: http://www.artdeconews.com/AustralianArtDeco.htm

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nathan Dodge said:
Also keep in mind that before the 1980s, the whole of South Beach and that area was filled with crime-ridden scum and was a veritable ghetto.

I think that Brian De Palma captured pre-restoration South Beach perfectly in the 1984 film "Scarface".

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

Here in the Bay Area we've been rather fortunate in some cases and in others the buildings have been torn down for strip malls. Fine examples of those that have survived would be:

1. Orinda Theatre
2. Alameda Theatre
Jon

Unfortunately, the first two aren't
entirely intact inside, as I understand it.
But you're right- they sure beat strip malls!

3. Grand Lake Theatre (Ok, ok, enough theatres)
Jon

Really more of a baroque style, like Oakland's Fox.

4. Oakland Scottish Rite Temple
5. San Francisco Masonic Auditorium
Jon

Built after the deco era, in the 50s, if I remember correctly.

6. Most of the Buildings in Union Square
7. Le Colonial
8. The Palace Hotel
Jon

The Palace significantly predates deco
(the original was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake).
If you visit, don't miss the bar "Maxfield's", with its
original Maxfield Parrish painting.

9. The Beach Chalet
10. Paramount Theatre (ok last one)
Jon

Possibly the most intact, and a must see for all here!

11. San Francisco Martime Museum
12. The Hobart Building
Jon

The Hobart building was built in 1914, well before deco.
http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/sf162.asp

13. The Call Building (Although not originally Deco, converted in 1933)
14. Of course...THE GOLDEN GATE AND BAY BRIDGES.

Jon

Don't forget the Alhambra (now a gym inside):

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/sf217.asp

The Castro Theater (same architect as the Paramount
and the SF side of the bay bridge, Timothy Pflueger):

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/sf100.asp

Treasure Island (built for the fair and used as a Nazi
headquarters in Raiders of the Lost Ark):

http://www.noehill.com/sf/landmarks/cal0987.asp

And finally the Pacific Stock Exchange, with its Pfleuger
and Miller design, Stackpole statues, and Diego Rivera
mural:

http://www.cityclubsf.com/new_art_and_arch.htm

The city club would be THE place to hold a Lounge event...

There are many more places, including the somewhat ruined
Redwood Room bar and the facades of downtown Oakland near
the Paramount Theater.

Hondo

One Too Many
Art Deco

Wow, I sure enjoy all the posts and pictures from everyone, very cool.
The Roosevelt Hotel and Egyptian Theater are an excellent example of art deco, plus the San Francisco Martime Museum, and can't forget the S.F. Ferry Building, those are the only ones I’ve seen, really beautiful.

They say Mexico has many old world Art Dco, you’d be surprise it was Mexico.
I ‘ve never been there :eek: , now you need passport to enter and leave Mexico and Canada. But back Art Deco, its such a wonderful feeling to see, yes the colors and design, but also cool when your in proper clothes.
Roosevelt Hotel made me feel that way on my last visit, I always make it a point to see when in L.A.
Very good gang :eusa_clap

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well I guess I am starting to take Art Deco for granted, since I live in San Pedro.

Here's a few from the chamber of commerce:

arcade1.gif

marmus.gif

warner2.gif

Main.jpg

old_san_pedro.jpg

23_22.gif

The sad thing is that my friend and I were getting some Taco Bell on Friday. We drove past some new construction. They tore down his great-grandfather's house! It was a lovely craftsman built circa 1906. He is inconsolable.

TM

A-List Customer
Regarding the state of the interiors of the Sunset Tower, the ad for one of the ceiling lights states "...This fixture was made during the 1980's renovation...". So it's not an original fixture.

This poor building has seen "renovation" after "renovation" after "renovation". I wonder if there is anything original anymore in the interior.

Tony

waingirl

One of the Regulars
Here's what we have in Syracuse, New York

Niagara Hudson (Mohawk) Building
300 Erie Boulevard West
Completed 1932

..."Designed by architects Bley and Lyman of Buffalo and Melvin L. King of Syracuse, this "cathedral of light" is one of the best remaining examples of Art Deco architecture in the nation."

"Its ornamentation is, to say the least, opulent. In Syracuse Landmarks, Evamaria Hardin says, "The structural steel frame of the Niagara Mohawk Building is arranged in setbacks, is sheathed smoothly in aluminum, black glass and stainless steel combined with gray brick and polished stone, and is ornamented with chevrons, parallel bands, and zigzags."

...."The six-story Niagara Mohawk Power Company was built in 1932. Its stainless steel accents shimmer during daylight hours. At night, there is dramatic lighting which includes floodlights pointed at the sky. The exterior's central decorative sculpture, "Spirit of Light", is a 28' tall stainless steel male figure with bolts of light projecting upward from his hands."

niagarahudsonbuidling1934nd9.jpg

nmoh7032fd7.jpg

nmoh7031hv0.jpg

nimofigureci5.jpg

0011mohawkjt4.jpg
today

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay