Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

local Art Deco architecture

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
We all know about the famous art deco buildings like the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building. But what about local art deco architecture?

Small towns can be treasure troves for art deco. Since raising funds for new buildings is a difficult task in smaller towns, they often keep and use old buildings for a long time. Many schools in my hometown, for example, date from the late 1930s and are still in use.

Show us your local art deco architecture and tell use some history behind it.

ArtDeco001-1.jpg

I don't know the date of this sign but it is definitely Art Deco style. Interestingly, this sign is from the J.C. Petersen haberdashery that belonged to my great-great grandfather, the store selling out in the 1990s. He came to the U.S. from Germany by himself at the age of 16 at the turn of the century, not knowing a bit of English. He received ownership of the shop when his partner died and it stayed open for roughly a century.

ArtDeco002-1.jpg

A very simple example of Art Deco, this building was originally and still is apartments.

Schools are great places to find Art Deco influence. Both of these are dated 1939.
ArtDeco005-1.jpg

ArtDeco006-1.jpg

And the most spectacular of the Art Deco buildings in my hometown: city hall. Again, like the schools above, this was built in 1939.
ArtDeco003-1.jpg

ArtDeco004-1.jpg

ArtDeco007.jpg

ArtDeco008-1.jpg

This plaque could help solve the mystery as to why the schools and city hall were all built in 1939. It seems there was some sort of economic initiative or project put into place in Boone in 1939 funded by the federal government. Interesting. To help recover from the Great Depression, no doubt.

ArtDeco009-1.jpg

The interior of city hall appears to be relatively unchanged.

ArtDeco011-1.jpg

celtic

A-List Customer
8ChapterPages.jpg

"Art Deco was the hot architectural style in America during the 1920s and 1930s. The style is characterized by features like smooth wall surfaces (often shiny metal), with zigzags, chevrons, and other geometric motifs as decorative elements on the façade. The geometric motifs usually emphasize verticality, which is often enhanced by adding towers and vertical projections. Even figure sculptures display an angular geometric approach. One of the best examples of Art Deco style in New York State, and arguably in America, is the Niagara Mohawk Building in Syracuse. This dramatic seven-story structure, which is the headquarters of the Niagara Mohawk Power Company at 300 Erie Boulevard West, was built in 1932. It was designed by the Buffalo architectural firm of Bley & Lyman and the Syracuse architect Melvin L. King. The façade is constructed of gray brick and stone in a series of setbacks, with additional cladding in stainless steel, aluminum, and black glass. The ornamentation is truly opulent. There are parallel bands, zigzags, and chevrons. At the base of the tower six stories above the entrance, there is a 28-foot-high statue of a male figure with outstretched arms from which rays of light emanate like giant wings. The stunning sculpture is called, “Spirit of Light.” Niagara Mohawk gleams, shimmering in daylight and glittering at night with interior lighting and powerful exterior flood illumination."

http://www.landmarksociety.org/historicny/chapter8.htm

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Hotel Astoria, Copenhagen (1934-35)

I took some snapshots of the lovely Hotel Astoria here in Copenhagen. It was built in 1935 and drawn by architect Ole Falkentorp. It's located right next to Copenhagen's Central Station and it was one of the first luxury hotels in Copenhagen, if not the very first. Today, however, it's in the middle price range.

The hotel features the first swinging door in Copenhagen and they have a room that stands exactly as it did when the hotel opened in 1935. I don't know if you can actually stay in that room, I would think it's just as a sort of museum.

Click to see larger photos.

From the west side:

From the east side:

Right next to Astoria Hotel, there is the Vesterport-building also drawn by Ole Falkentorp. It's very gorgeous, although more funkis than art deco. Photos of that coming up.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Exploring with open eyes, one can discover a surprising number of deco buildings in OKC - schools, early shopping centers, etc. But my favorite is the First National Building downtown. It is by far the showiest in terms of detail. The ground floor contains a small office supply shop that sells bottled ink. Yesterday, while on an errand to purchase a bottle of Quink for Tony's birthday, I brought along my camera. I just can't get enough of this structure.

4077524371_8c1f95d461_b.jpg

4077524355_9c8073a5c5_b.jpg

4077524345_efb8dcdc97.jpg

4077524343_60ba9c6791.jpg

4077516949_41d3afecc3.jpg

4077516945_3f97f7664d_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran