Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Deco IPOD accessories...

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I found this Ipod skin on ebay- unfortunately it doesn't fit what I have.
13e8_3.jpg

146c_3.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I haven't been much into electronics accessories but tres cool stuff like this makes a girl wonder about changing that...

zaika

One Too Many
that docking station is beautiful! too bad they don't have one for a video ipod...or a nano.
but those sticker things for the dial are drool worthy.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Those are so cool! Its times like this I sort of wish I'd just gone with the Ipod monopoly instead of daring to be different. There just isn't that much cool accessory stuff out for Creative Labs.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
That's quite cool although it's only for the shuffle. I love my Ipod, I don't think I could get through rush hour on the tube without it! I had a 4GB nano which I filled up (it fits approximately 100 albums) but that got stolen (as well as my entire bag...another story entirely) so I bought the Ipod Classic to replace it. It'll take a while to fill up as it's 80GB but it's great to have the space.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
It's not art deco, but ZVex makes a pretty nice looking little tube amp for use with things like iPods:

http://www.impamp.com/

Maybe there is some art deco influence there, or maybe that's just the visible tubes. But for the bad news. They're $700. Ouch. (Edit/update: I found it retailing for $500. Still, ouch).

The company also makes mini amp heads for guitar, which they hand paint. Here's the link, if you're interested. http://zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm slowly (very slooooowly) getting to grips with my iPOD classic

This was my Christmas treat (from me to me). But I've had to go out and buy a 'Rough Guide' (Idiot's guide) to using the thing [huh] Also, I think at some stage I'll have to get the external speakers to use at home (any recommendations?). Eventually, I'm going to get the shell of an old 30's radio and pop speakers into the inside of it and wire the iPod up (well that's the idea, come on!! I'm still working out how to load music onto it ;) ).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The Apple Site has some nice visuals that can show you how to use your iPod. Most sections have a 'watch demo' button to show you a little movie.

Also the support section of the site is great. As well as the forums.

Books are fine, but chatting with like people is good too, and free :)

LD

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
This was my Christmas treat (from me to me). But I've had to go out and buy a 'Rough Guide' (Idiot's guide) to using the thing [huh] Also, I think at some stage I'll have to get the external speakers to use at home (any recommendations?). Eventually, I'm going to get the shell of an old 30's radio and pop speakers into the inside of it and wire the iPod up (well that's the idea, come on!! I'm still working out how to load music onto it ;) ).

If you want to go for something other than the typical all in one iPod dock station with speakers, you can use a more traditional set-up, with the iPod as the source. If going this route, there are a number of smaller Canada-based companies that make fantastic speakers for pretty reasonable prices, as they share a national R&D center. Paradigm, PSB, Athena Technologies and Axiom are a few notable ones (although at least PSB and Alpha are now part of larger corporations). I don't think it would work too well to take the drivers out of the cabinets and put them in a radio, though, as the cabinets themselves are integral to their sound.

Car stereo speakers will probably work out fairly well for putting into an old radio cabinet. I don't know nearly as much about those, however, even if any of the above companies make them (I doubt it).

But besides the iPod dock and speakers, you'll need a way to amplify the sound, like that ZVex above. Fortunately, there are a lot of less expensive options. There are also powered or "active" speakers with amplification built in. They're not very common, however, except in the case of iPod docing stations, some of which have the dock/small amplifier and speakers all built in. I'm not too familiar with those, but I do see Athena makes one.

As far aas getting music on an iPod. You need iTunes on your computer. After that, you can keep a library on your computer and make various playlists, then put whatever you like from your computer onto playlists, then select what you want to put on the iPod. The site Lady Day pinked to should be a help.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I bought my wife an ipod nearly four years ago for her birthday and it has been the very best gift I have ever given her. We use our ipod nearly every day, all the music we listen to is on our ipod. For normal use we run the music from the ipod through our stereo system; we have 20 hours or so of just Christmas music. We also have a docking station with external speakers and take this with us on vacation. My wife also has a shuffle she wears while running. My daughter has a nano that I drool over - much nicer than our old, regular ipod.

I'm not much into electronic gadgets, but I think the ipod is one of the few gadgets that does live up to its hype.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vintage iPOD covers...?

I'm looking for a 'vintagey' classic cover for my iPOD. The internet hasn't thrown anything up that I like so I'm looking at cutting and stitching a leather case that will have a vintage look to it.
Means I'll have to take plenty of measurements to get it just right (unless there's already a 'cover template' that I can use to cut my leather to??).

Anything else out there that would have a 'vintage/classic' LOOK to it?

Snookie

Practically Family
PADDY said:
I'm looking for a 'vintagey' classic cover for my iPOD. The internet hasn't thrown anything up that I like so I'm looking at cutting and stitching a leather case that will have a vintage look to it.
Means I'll have to take plenty of measurements to get it just right (unless there's already a 'cover template' that I can use to cut my leather to??).

Anything else out there that would have a 'vintage/classic' LOOK to it?

I've never seen a classic looking iPod case made by a major company, but maybe one of these handmade ones is of interest? The last one looks really nice -- I wonder if he can make one for my 30GB iPod?

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8250057
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7808330
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=7138061

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy