Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not-Bogart13 said:
It was pointed out to me that the link above is dead. So, here's the new one. Same hat, and as Art originally corrected, the felt color is "granite" not "steel".

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/Fedora_Dog/Custom Art Fawcett/

Even though my Art Fawcett collection has grown considerablt, this one - which I often call the "Stormchaser" due to an incident with a tornado - remains one of my go-to hats. Classic design, classic color, and extremely versatile. I don't know what I'd do without it.

I'm with Benny on this one, NB. That has to be the nicest hat I've seen yet! Beautiful hat.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Faulkner

Alan,

It is a georgeous hat-dress hat par excellence- happy that you posted all the other hats too.
This thread is becoming namely a reference place for hats extraordinaire.
Really.

Regards>

Tom

Big Man

Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. After reading about all these great hats and drooling over the pictures, I decided to "take the plunge" for a custom hat from Mr. Fawcett. I e-mailed him the other day and this Saturday received a phone call from him.

I had sent Mr. Fawcett a copy of a picture of my grandfather taken in 1928 holding a hat that I wanted recreated. To my surprise (and delight), the words "no problem" were spoken by Mr. Fawcett.

I am now eagerly awaiting my new hat. I'll make sure to post pictures when it arrives.

AlanC

Congratulations, Big Man! The inspiration for your hat sounds wonderful. Could you post that picture here? What are the specs on the hat? You can join the Grandfather's Hat club.

Big Man said:
To my surprise (and delight), the words "no problem" were spoken by Mr. Fawcett.

Yeah, that's why he's so dangerous.

Big Man

AlanC said:
Congratulations, Big Man! The inspiration for your hat sounds wonderful. Could you post that picture here? What are the specs on the hat? You can join the Grandfather's Hat club...

Here is the picture of my grandfather and his hat (center, front row). I wish it were a better picture, but that's all I have.

1928Brothers.jpg

I've only had one conversation with Art, and haven't arrived at a "finished idea" yet, but did discuss a 2 3/4 to 3 inch brim, with a 5 or more inch crown and a 2 or so inch ribbon.

Many years ago, I remembered seeing a large colored picture like this at my great aunt's house (I wish I had that picture, but it's long since gone). The hat and his suit were a light to medium gray. When I get the felt samples I'll try to pick something as close as to what I remembered.

I'm really looking forward to having that hat recreated. In 1928 my grandfather was about the same age as I am now. Having a hat like he had then would help make a "connection" of sorts.

AlanC

An excellent connection, for sure. The great thing about Art is that with his vintage hat experience he knows exactly what kind of hat your grandfather would likely have had in 1928. He can extrapolate from the picture you provided.

Big Man

indycop said:
Big Man, you do realize of course that it won't stop with this one!;) lol lol lol lol :D

You are probabally right. I just started the order process for my first hat from Mr. Fawcett and already I'm thinking of what I might want next. :eek:

Oh well, the kids don't need shoes that bad ...

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Vanity's finest hour

As was suggested, I would like to add some images of what I unofficially call, "The Sesquipedalian," to this thread for posterity.

Specifications
Felt: Black pure beaver
Ribbon: 22 ligne, dark steel grey
Edge binding: charcoal grey
Crown: 6" when open, center crease with side dents
Brim: Dimensionally cut to 3" front and back, 2 3/4" right and left
Liner: red

Side.jpg

Sesquipedalian-Front-Worn.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Mind like cheese cloth

Big Man said:
Very nice hat! What color felt is that?

It is black felt, which is my usual preferences for hats, although when I can muster the funds and wherewithal for it, I plan to order a grey one.

The specifications, which I initially neglected to include, have been added to my previous post.

Big Man

Delthayre said:
It is black felt, which is my usual preferences for hats, although when I can muster the funds and wherewithal for it, I plan to order a grey one.

The specifications, which I initially neglected to include, have been added to my previous post.

Thanks for adding the specs. I'm in the process of having a hat made and have chosen the "Blue Smoke" (light gray) felt. I don't have a black hat (or rather haven't had one since the early 1970's), but am already thinking about a future purchase. That's got to be a bad sign - I haven't received my first hat from Art Fawcett and already I'm thinking about "the next one". :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic