Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
(private) Between you and me, Sir, I think Art could pull almost anything off if you passed it by him...he has incredible talents - don`t let this out though... (private)

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Another try for the 1st pic: Silverbelly front/side view.
28b40tk.jpg

Rabbit; Thanks for sharing your VS Art (hat) collection. I tune into this thread when folks post up their works of Art. I am anxious when the computer screen fills with the pics. Often I try to guess the hat as the pic begins to take shape. I was just watching in wonder as your pics came to fruition. I could not have guessed the color, ribbon, trim options. But when the pics materialized, it was as if all parts belonged. As f I should have been able to anticiapate each part from the one before. Congrats sir - Each hat is grand.

The one above, Silverbelly, gold, gray is spectacular. Clean lines, deep color, terrific binding color goes to make this hat memorable. I have been imagining the many clothing options it would be fun to wear with. Your pic shows you wear the hat well. Casual/dress - in my eye they would wear well. Folks have preferences in size/style and the pics with you wearing it gives me a brief look at the context of the hat's utility. Art it may be - utility it is.

Thanks for sharing. Your VS Art collection is special. Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

Link

One of the Regulars
Rabbit, that oxblood is one good looking hat. ;)

ETA I'm also really liking the sahara; I may just have to copy that one. :)

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit, that oxblood is one good looking hat. ;)

ETA I'm also really liking the sahara; I may just have to copy that one. :)

Hi Link,
go ahead and copy cat!
Btw, the Sahara has a green liner...

Eric,
glad you like 'em. The Silverbelly sure is among the most versatile. Goes with almost any suit and with the casual stuff. The name "silverbelly" is used for a lot of dyes; the Winchester Silverbelly is nothing short of amazing. Very light grey with a definite warm hue. In most lighting conditions it actually looks more like a cream color with a slight greyish cast. IMHO it works with almost every imaginable ribbon color.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
More color-accurate shots of the Oxblood

The previously posted ones were washed-out. The shots below were taken shortly after sunrise with -1 2/3 steps; they seem color-accurate on my (uncalibrated) monitor.

10wl0qq.jpg

2z7isk2.jpg

9020rn.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
The family shot

Taken indoors without flash in a well-lit room.
L to R front row Sahara, Dove; 2nd row Powderblue, Blue Smoke; 3rd row Silverbelly, Oxblood.

25fn141.jpg

I'll add this little bonus. Couldn't resist.

The powderblue dunes

21ak277.jpg

Art's suede finish is spectacular. D'Guy, your Dove pics gave me enough reason to go for this (then new) finish. I requested it for all my VS's; if I ever want a black VS it'll be in silk finish, though.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
My oh my Sir, you got 20 posts and 6 VS`s! Are you hiding anything else under your belt!? Good on you though, and a brilliant collection! Your taste in ribbons is exemplary and I hope you reach new heights as the posts wear on...

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
My oh my Sir, you got 20 posts and 6 VS`s! Are you hiding anything else under your belt!? Good on you though, and a brilliant collection! Your taste in ribbons is exemplary and I hope you reach new heights as the posts wear on...

Thank you Bowlerman!

D'guy, six VS so far - but two more in the queue...Mojave w/ navy ribbon + VS stripe and cream brim edge...and overwelt Sand w/ either a silver ribbon or a dark greyish/green tint ribbon color as on your Sand. The silver option would be nice if it works. I haven't seen the Sand felt in person, so I'm more like guessing on this one.

One more post with VS pics..

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Five light-colored felts in same lighting conditions

For those of you who are interested in comparing/choosing felt colors, I'm posting shots of my five light-colored felts in even lighting conditions.

Pictures taken one hour after sunrise (thus no bluish cast) on a partly cloudy day, yet before the sun rose behind the hills. All shots within 10 min.
- Yesterday's pics had all been taken in late afternoon. -
All pics without flash.

Powderblue:

aakx10.jpg

Blue Smoke:

2hqq72s.jpg

Dove:

qqwdv7.jpg

Silverbelly:

15gqlap.jpg

Sahara:

nn3d4o.jpg

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Wow. I'm gone for a day and look at what I missed. Great collection Rabbit. I haven't had a new Art hat for a year, and I'm thinking it's about time for one.

I had one of the first suede finish hats, my blue smoke Jazzman. Its my favorite finish too.

Last edited:
A very lovely collection of modern hats! The colors and design choices are wonderful. I do wonder a bit about the brim edges - they appear a little uneven in the photos. I have never had the pleasure of seeing one of these in person.

Thanks for sharing,
Alan

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A very lovely collection of modern hats! The colors and design choices are wonderful. I do wonder a bit about the brim edges - they appear a little uneven in the photos. I have never had the pleasure of seeing one of these in person.

Thanks for sharing,
Alan

Hi Alan,

maybe these pics help. Is it about the bound edges, or perhaps about the brim curvature? The brim curve is more pronounced in the rear than in the front on some hats.
The lighter-colored felts are very malleable, thus responding to the handling of the brim. It feels wonderful to handle them.
Ask away if you would like to see pics more specific to your question.

As an example, the Silverbelly with bound brim:

2qjh8k2.jpg

2d2hzdx.jpg

vr4js9.jpg

2rpfgyd.jpg

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
Im hoping you can help me. I just received my second hat from Art. I think the heat warped the brim a bit. Its a 2 5/8" brim. It is a bit mis shapen, and doesnt have that curve upwards in the back. I have steamed it a bit, but still cant figure out how to shape the hat properly. I was hoping some of you might have a suggestion.

I did learn a nice trick from Art on pushing out the center part of the crown with a teardrop finish. Use a softball. I actually redid my crown, and I am pretty satisfied. I just need to work on that brim now.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Im hoping you can help me. I just received my second hat from Art. I think the heat warped the brim a bit. Its a 2 5/8" brim. It is a bit mis shapen, and doesnt have that curve upwards in the back. I have steamed it a bit, but still cant figure out how to shape the hat properly. I was hoping some of you might have a suggestion.

I did learn a nice trick from Art on pushing out the center part of the crown with a teardrop finish. Use a softball. I actually redid my crown, and I am pretty satisfied. I just need to work on that brim now.

IsaacRN, a side view shot of the hat in question (ideally coplanar to the camera) might be useful. Also, which edge treatment is it (raw, welted, bound)? From your description, I wouldn't know of a solution other than steaming and shaping by hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum