Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Nik. You are awesome. Now THAT is a catalog.

Hey Mike-- do you have a shot of what your new powder blue looks like from the top/back? The crease piques my interest.

No problem Jeff

IMG_0242.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Wow. Thank you for that effort Rabbit. Very cool!!!

+1 Cool to see one of mine in there too!

Thank you very much, Art, and Mike! I selected these images so that they would work together as a whole. Although I was mainly aiming for color-accurate and well-composed pictures, the collage is - hopefully - also representative of Art's repertoire of ribbon work.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
+1 - thanks for taking the time to sort and post the photos, Nik.

It's great to be able to compare the colours, the felt samples only go so far.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Very nice Journeyman bulldog and welcome to the Lounge. Wear it with pride.

Interesting lighting in your pix, a spotlight source?

bulldog1935

Suspended
no, I used half of a milk jug over a strobe.
The hat is sitting on a cigar box over the hat box
The color has a hazel quality to it.
It can look olive, but if you put it up next to olive canvas, it looks brown.

this was late day sun
cbA020001.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Enjoy the journeyman, bulldog1935!

Rabbit, Your effort to show the hats in true colors is very helpful. I want you to know that your work is truly appreciated.

+1 - thanks for taking the time to sort and post the photos, Nik.

It's great to be able to compare the colours, the felt samples only go so far.

Thank you so much, BR, and David. I'm glad you like it. :)

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit !
Super Cool Poster !
your pics are the best & educating ! & fun !

Bulldog !
Welcome & thats a plush looking journeyman......

Blewbyou

New in Town
Bulldog,

Fantastic looking journeyman. I'm seriously thinking about getting Art to make me one as my next VS.

Has anyone had Art put a wider ribbon on a journeyman?

bulldog1935

Suspended
Has anyone had Art put a wider ribbon on a journeyman?
thanks again.
I'm sure Art will make it any way you want. On the nutria/rabbit blend he offers 4 different ribbons.
I kept mine simple because I'm buying this for an outdoor hat (I'll be wearing it around a bunch of other fishermen). I'll take a rain cover, but I do intend to weather this hat for as many years as I can get from it. But I ordered it custom, beaver rather than the blend, which was the whole point for me. When we first talked, I told Art it was already my dream hat, but I wanted beaver. It's a neat color, and for a dress hat, I think it would look sharp with a tall, or even contrasting ribbon. BTW, Art said he introduced the blend hats for people to compare to Akubra and other outdoor hat lines.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...utfits-.-.-.&p=1517252&viewfull=1#post1517252
I expect I'll be getting a dress hat in a lighter cooler color down the way.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Bulldog
A outstanding fishing hat your JourneyMan. IT will protect you from the elements well & excellent choice the beaver felt will be bulletproof.....
they do live in water !
so with the raincover which i do use also sometimes (they do look cool) this hat will last forever
& hey if you get it dirty or mess it up ,,,,no problem ! Art can bring it back to life , i had him work on some fixer uppers & they come back real pretty.
as for fly fishing forum or FFR, no but i was a member of the NFLCC over 20 years ago....
I am a die hard Fisherman & a good one & i do have a couple Lucky hat's that serve me very well.......HMMMMM one of these would be great for saltwater

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I kept mine simple because I'm buying this for an outdoor hat (I'll be wearing it around a bunch of other fishermen). I'll take a rain cover, but I do intend to weather this hat for as many years as I can get from it. ...

Hi

Buy a large rain cover if you buy one. I put one on my Montana Peak hat and it took the ribbon off. I sewed it back on, but I went out and bought a larger rain cover. It rained at our last campout and I didn't use the rain cover, it's a 50% beaver Jaxonbilt.

later

bulldog1935

Suspended
thanks Mike, I already had an M&F rain cover when I reached inside a western hat box this morning. A silverbelly beaver blend that went on a few trips to Alaska (including the north slope in December)
ewell05.jpg

http://www.cavenders.com/western/co...ries/MF01080?gclid=CLTYqNTP6rICFRSSPAodo3wAqA
The rain cover fit my new Journeyman beautifully with room to spare.
Cavender's is one block from my office. I plan to drop in and pick up a couple more - one to keep in my trout fishing bag, and another to keep in the truck - will also pick up a horsehair brush - could use a clean one.

seabass, in the late 70s I had a beaver short brim cowboy hat that came from a co-worker's father's estate. I fished it 20 years, and then my girls took it over, and of course walked it all over their rooms - it was too small for me anyway, but I fished it in the snow in NM, and every winter in my tailwater - rain or no.
stock.jpg

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
WOW !
Alaska Fishing !!!!! Great Pics !
Im a Itchin to go fishin.
i fished a Old Stetson Playboy in the Surf . never a problem with salt spray..
Heck i bet Art's beaver Felt's will stand up to anything even his Lite Felts... rain cover or not.. the Fedora shaped ones are hard to find though...
I bought the last few stocked years back from the local bait shops...they really do look cool on a lid...especially with Waders sorta matches
We have some Beavers close by in brackish water so im confidently sure Art's can take some Salt spray.....
look into his Lite felt (when or if) he gets more in....Ill have to get one made by him for Fishin....I wont be scared to heck, ill go out on a boat
though ill pad the sweat tight so it wont blow away.....
I was a Deckhand on a party boat a looooooong time ago lost a few Fedoras by the Farralon islands.. about 26 miles east of San Francisco

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred