Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I could sure add some teasing comments here about the long hair hat body, but...(the barber beat me to it). I have never had the pleasure of seeing what is called a "scratch" finish hat, they do certainly have some appeal to them. As always, the more variety you see in what is being offered, it makes (for me) one more choice to have to toss around.

But I have really made my mind up as to what to select for my first hat I will seek to have Art make. Setting aside the funds for it, is step one....

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Art, is that the finish from the machine we saw demonstrated at the last Winchester tour?

Well I wasn't there of course, but the silk finish/ scratch finish is achieved by raising some of the hair from the surface of the raw Winchester felt body by using a metal device at some point during the sanding process, hence the name scratch finish. Or at least I believe it's a metal thingy that is used for this purpose. The fluffy raised hair is then further treated to get the hair partly laying flat again.

A long hair on the other hand requires a special hat body to begin with, as Art pointed out.

A metal thingy...that cleared up a lot...
Well I wasn't there of course, but the silk finish/ scratch finish is achieved by raising some of the hair from the surface of the raw Winchester felt body by using a metal device at some point during the sanding process, hence the name scratch finish. Or at least I believe it's a metal thingy that is used for this purpose. The fluffy raised hair is then further treated to get the hair partly laying flat again.

A long hair on the other hand requires a special hat body to begin with, as Art pointed out.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Art, is that the finish from the machine we saw demonstrated at the last Winchester tour?

LOL. I don't remember a metal "thingy" being demonstrated Tom but they do use a wire brush buffing wheel when they do it at the factory. The Lady there that does it is WAY better than me at making it happen. I take much longer to achieve similar result

I just realized, we went over 1 million views on this thread, who would have guessed?
Happy New Year everyone!!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A metal thingy...that cleared up a lot...

lol

Yes, well it seemed irresistible at that moment to use the inspiring word thingy, for some incomprehensible reason. The word wire brush was in the back of my mind though, to the point that I believed it had been uttered somewhere in my post. :eusa_doh: My apologies.

Happy New Year! I wish you all plenty of health and lots of hats.

Last edited:

TomS

One Too Many
Tridentine, Just my .02 but I think Art's finish looks vintage long-hair. I think you're going to get exactly the look you're seeking.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
I think Art should add a "WC HANDY'' fedora to his Blues line.

AP3605140161_t607.JPG

http://www.biography.com/people/wc-handy-39700

Mulceber

Practically Family
If that's what your Mr. Handy hat is going to look like...it may be on my short list. Question Art: how does the Joey line compare to Century? I mean, I know it's rabbit as opposed to beaver, but I've seen some REALLY nice rabbit felt hats that could almost be beaver, and then I've seen some rabbit felt that, while nice, is very clearly rabbit felt.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Got your deposit Aaron, thanks, the package will go out today.
Mulcebar, I'm in a weird spot with your question. The bodies I use are the best quality available and certainly make a good hat but you are asking me to compare a Rolls Royce to a Chevy and as far as "hand" they don't line up. I can get a good finish on Joey but it's never going to feel as good as Century, which doesn't feel as good as Legacy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80