Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Neil

A-List Customer
I would say the black cherry looks awfully similar to. . . . the famous, rare and exceedingly pricey oxblood. No?

coble

A-List Customer
marshack my hat will be more casual, i'm getting a rough finish with the felt color sahara, i will have a binding on my Art creation. But the binding will match the felt color. I will post it when i get it in.

marshack

New in Town
These are all beautiful hats. Is it inappropriate to ask how much one of these costs? I would also be interested to understand all of the different customization question that you need to answer to create the final product.

thank you

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
A PM to Art may be your best bet to answer all your questions. But basically you can be as specific or as general as you'd like. Art has a fantastic imagination from what I've seen and his creations are quite stunning when left to his own devices. That also seems the thing to do after you have a couple of his hats, just give him free reign. As for me, he is working on my first and I specified some general details, and left the rest to him.

Pompidou

One Too Many
They all run about the same price, I believe, which is a steal. He uses a very straightforward pricing scheme. As far as customization questions, that's up to you. If you say, "Can you make this hat?" you probably won't get many questions at all, just measure your head with his device, and wait in line. If you want to do something unusual, you'll have several phone calls and emails worth of questions. There were many conversations about the ins and outs of the hat process and what my options were when I was trying to think of some original take on a felt hat. So yeah, the number of questions you can expect to answer will be related to the kind of hat you plan to make, and how you propose the idea.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
A million different ways to go...

These are all beautiful hats. Is it inappropriate to ask how much one of these costs? I would also be interested to understand all of the different customization question that you need to answer to create the final product.

thank you

Unless his price has changed since Fall of 2008, when I last ordered, a pure beaver felt hat will cost $305 and whatever the cost of shipping is. If it is your first order, you will also pay the cost of shipping the conformer. Both of my orders from him were accompanied by the following instructions: height of crown when open, width of brim, width of ribbon, style of edge treatment, width of edge binding (as I've only ever ordered bound-edge hats), general style of block (I've asked for 'very straight' both times) and of course the colors of the felt and ribbons. My first order also included asking for a dimensionally cut brim (wider in front and back than at the sides... although the opposite is probably possible) and the second for a particular ribbon treatment. You could also easily ask Mister Fawcett to replicate a hat from a picture or to modify such an example. He's very easy to work with and very responsive to inquiries.

Last edited:

Mulceber

Practically Family
Unless his price has changed since Fall of 2008, when I last ordered, a pure beaver felt hat will cost $305

It was the same when I got my second, in December of 2009. I'd recommend checking out his website ( http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/ ) and emailing him ( stone488@gotsky.com ). Art's always been very friendly and very helpful. A hat from Art Fawcett will be a choice you'll never regret. -M

MadDawg

Familiar Face
My first VS - Received last year, but just getting around to posting. Silverbelly with Graphite Ribbon and Crimson (BOOMER SOONER!!) accent ribbon, and red liner. 2 1/8" brim with underwelt! By FAR the softest felt and most comfortable headband of any of my hats! Must ebay some junk soon to place my second order!!

DSCN2960.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN2959.jpg
[/IMG]

DSCN2963.jpg

Jabos

A-List Customer
That's a beautiful hat MadDawg, and I love the CRIMSON accent. Good to see another Sooner fan on the FL. Perhaps I will ask Art to add a little crimson into my next VS.

Kkaderly

One of the Regulars
My Black Cherry VS showed up today. It exceeded my expectations and I'm tickled silly.
blackcherry010.jpg

blackcherry014.jpg

blackcherry017.jpg

Compared to a Oxblood VS
blackcherry023.jpg

WOW!!!! Now thats a beauty !!!!!! Love those stacked pleats!!! The black cheery is awesome!! Congrats on your new arrival ... Art great job as always!!!!!!

MadDawg

Familiar Face
It was a custom. My next one will probably be one of his Limiteds. I love the Route 66, just got to convince my CFO (wife) to love it as much!

Pompidou

One Too Many
It was a custom. My next one will probably be one of his Limiteds. I love the Route 66, just got to convince my CFO (wife) to love it as much!

Explain that the hat is a business expense, fully tax deductible, to increase productivity by up to 5% by the end of the fiscal year, by enhancing the employee professional image, thus pulling more clients, and that it will pay for itself in six months.

Lando

Practically Family
The whole family:D
vscollection019.jpg

steel, natural, light sage, sunset, oxblood, black cherry, mojave

That is a very nice collection of hats sir. And the black cherry, as many have already said, is a fine hat. I have on similar to it on order and you have made me so much more sure of that order. Greats hats, again. What's next?

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lando, you will love the black cherry. What's next?:D I have been told by the Warden that I will get no more this year, but once I find my way around that ruling I'm thinkin' I'm needin' the blue smoke.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails