Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I'm fond of diamond creases. I think the proportions of your hat are too big for a porkpie.
I actually sort of wish porkpies with higher crowns, slightly wider brims were more readily available (other than custom ordering). I suppose one could convert a western pretty easily.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I actually sort of wish porkpies with higher crowns, slightly wider brims were more readily available (other than custom ordering). I suppose one could convert a western pretty easily.

These are some of the rarest hats on the planet Bowlerman. They were popular for only about three years between 1939-1942, being worn with their "Zoot" suits. In all the years I've only found two originals and I'm afraid that there just isn't the market for a mass produced hat in this style.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
These are some of the rarest hats on the planet Bowlerman. They were popular for only about three years between 1939-1942, being worn with their "Zoot" suits. In all the years I've only found two originals and I'm afraid that there just isn't the market for a mass produced hat in this style.

Naturally, though I can't say I'm totally surprised. All the hats I seem to become interested in never quite fit exactly into a category. :p

flyingcloudamishhat.jpg

I saw this on ebay recently (anyone here buy it?) but it was way too small for me to feel comfortable stretching. Still-- it's not quite a gambler, not quite a porkpie, not quite an elko... Apparently made by "Flying Cloud Amish Hats" which I can't seem to find anything about.
While I'm not necessarily a spokesperson for "vintage only" my situation limits me to pretty much what I can find for really good deals; that is when I act responsibly!
One of these days, Art! I always admire your work from afar.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Mojave

Mojave 5.5" x 2 3/8" bound brim (cream) with navy 19 L ribbon, VS stripe and mojave windcord.

oir7rt.jpg

10h3deg.jpg

2d0m4oj.jpg

2d6mip5.jpg

2ng4pwi.jpg

Thank you Art for this awesome piece of work! This one is just incredibly beautiful - felt, ribbons, brim curve...and thanks for choosing the mojave windcord!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Mojave - ribbon details & tip liner

Glad you like it! Here's some more closeups. The color mojave is hard to capture, as many of you know. These shots (including last post) were all taken shortly before and at sunset. The first one below and the ribbon closeup posted earlier are a little warmer than in real life; the others seem to be rather accurate as far as I can tell.

bi5xmu.jpg

vo0uwi.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Another closeup of the navy ribbon & mojave windcord.
Taken shortly before sunrise without flash.

6is8rn.jpg

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your kind words.
To paraphrase Groucho:
Art, I can't tell you how much I enjoy this hat. As a matter of fact, I CAN tell you. I enjoy it very much.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Sand

Sand 5.5" x 2 3/8" bound brim (silver with warm undertone) and 19 L ribbon in dark grey/w greenish undertone.

Shots taken shortly before sunrise without flash.

1ztabq.jpg

29xwwav.jpg

12149pf.jpg

2505mhd.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS felt color comparison Part I

When I started searching this thread for pics and info, I always found side-by-side shots of felt colors to be extremely helpful. I hope these pics of mine will be of equally good use for others.

All shots in this and the following posts taken one hour after sunrise without flash.

Clockwise starting from ten o'clock: Mojave, Sahara, Silverbelly, Sand.

waofww.jpg

Clockwise starting from one o'clock: Mojave, Silverbelly, Sand.

m9pra9.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS felt color comparison Part III

Sand, Dove & Silverbelly

Sand (top), Silverbelly (right) & Dove (left).

35ixij9.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner