Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Well, let's just say that black hats certainly have their place. :)

Rabbit, that is a truly awesome wardrobe of hats. Incredible felt hats by Mr. Fawcett.
I have no idea how you decide on which to wear. I would have to have a small van with a hat storage system in and change hats several times each to avoid having to take so long deciding on which one.

No doubt you are known to neighbors and people you see regularly in the course of a day as "that guy with the incredible hats".
That is exactly what I think every time I see your avatar.

Thank you, Sir. The choice on which one to wear is actually not that difficult. The hat is generally the last item during dressing, and it sort of comes to me naturally. :)

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit the Black hat is Super-Nice Man!
So you say it's a Lite but you have the lining in do you have Art put a lining in your other Art-Lite felts?
Black Beauty !
the collage is Sweet i need a Rabbit-Art Poster of that !

BDP

New in Town
Welcome, Brad.

Brad is not just a tobacco pipe maker, he is, without a doubt, one of the finest in the world. His pipes are highly prized and sought after. I collect pipes and am proud to own two of Brad's, which are the two most beautiful and great smoking in my collection. I had the pleasure of meeting him at the NASPC pipe show in 2008 (I think it was) and I can attest that he is a gentleman as well as a great artisan. We're lucky to have him entering the fedora world.

Shucks, CPT/VSG!! Thanks for those kind words... glad those two pipes are working well for you.... I am thrilled to be here in this company, believe me...

BDP

New in Town
Well Guys,

I've taken some pics of my new VS, but the light outside was a little overcast... anyway, it seems I don't have permission to attach files from my computer into a post... how else can I post pics in this thread?? Any advice??

Thanks,
Brad

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit the Black hat is Super-Nice Man!
So you say it's a Lite but you have the lining in do you have Art put a lining in your other Art-Lite felts?
Black Beauty !
the collage is Sweet i need a Rabbit-Art Poster of that !

Yes indeed the four LITE felts are fully lined. Back in the day it wasn't unusual for lightweight felts to be lined (think Borsalino). Of course a liner can be removed if the occasion arises.
There is one unlined Powderblue LITE with vent holes on its way across the Atlantic.

Btw, I tried to post a higher-res version of the collage and failed miserably. Any idea why uploading pics (properly sized for posting) to photobucket further compresses the file, all by itself?

Well Guys,

I've taken some pics of my new VS, but the light outside was a little overcast... anyway, it seems I don't have permission to attach files from my computer into a post... how else can I post pics in this thread?? Any advice??

Thanks,
Brad

No attachments. Post pics by linking them from image hosting sites.

How to post photos here

Last edited:

cookie

I'll Lock Up
:cool: PANDORA PIC's :cool:
]THANKS ART !
232323232%7Ffp73439%3Enu%3D8986%3E396%3E25%3A%3EWSNRCG%3D35463547%3B%3A34%3Bnu0mrj

I like that Italian hand picking on la camisa + sombrero = la muerte!

BDP

New in Town
Thanks for the photo info... let's try again...

My new VS Pecan from the master....

7474506514_fe35a0b1d5_m.jpg

7474506828_07dbe452cc_m.jpg

7474507040_492f437b77_m.jpg

7474506644_56fe864b12_m.jpg

If the sun cooperates today, I'll take some pics of the Montecristi rebuild Art worked wonders on....

Have a Great Saturday!,
Brad

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the photo info... let's try again...

My new VS Pecan from the master....

If the sun cooperates today, I'll take some pics of the Montecristi rebuild Art worked wonders on....

Have a Great Saturday!,
Brad

The pics are great, BDP! Perfect color rendition in the second and fourth pic, if you ask me.
You might want to try posting a less strongly reduced file size; 900 pixel at the longer side would be a fairly high res for website use - still perfectly allright.

Overcast lighting conditions actually have the best potential for getting the colors right, as long as the temperature balance is still ok and not too bluish.
The best lighting conditions for the purpose are a thin cloud cover all over the sky. It lets through lots of light without creating the deep shadows of direct sunlight; a thin cloud cover acts like a white umbrella, diffusing the light underneath without blocking too much light.
The time of day also makes a big difference in terms of color temperature, all other things held constant.
Oversimplifying things a little bit, direct sunlight usually results in too high a contrast to handle subtle color differences and to render subtle color shades accurately.

The design of your VS Pecan is absolutely beautiful. The greenish-grey ribbon balances the Pecan felt perfectly, and the red contrast and liner set it off. Congrats to you and Art! I love the raw brim on this hat.

Last edited:

BDP

New in Town
Rabbit,

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.... yes, when I was first trying to upload the pics, I thought my file size might be the problem, so I reduced the size.... they are too small here to really show off the red "wedge" Art created in the bow.... I'm going to attempt to enlarge them again... if it works, I'll edit my post with the new pics.... Thanks again... VERY helpful....

Brad

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Glad to be of help, Brad.

Indeed, posting pics in their original high resolution is not an option. The MB-sized images are just too much.
As a point of reference, I usually post pics reduced to 1100x825 pixel (that usually means something in the neighbourhood of 300 KB file size), which is a bit on the larger end. Many Loungers prefer to post their pics in the 600 to 900 pixel range (for the longer side of the image frame, respectively). If you go lower than 600 pixel for the long side, the pics will begin to be smallish.

Edit:
Looking again at your new VS, I must say that if I were to commision a Pecan felt, this would be exactly the design to go for. I have a 1950s Royal Stetson wafer-edge with a Pecan-lookalike felt and a steel-gray ribbon which, when I first saw it in person, seemed to me like a wonderful color combination - and it still does. But the VS Pecan w/ greenish-gray tops it for sure.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner