Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

Doublegun

Practically Family
Damn. Just when I thought I was immune I feel a strong case of VS flu coming on, undoubtedly induced by BDP's new lid. Art?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Shaded Dude; Great art-lite hat sir! I appreciate the clever pic and your having fun with the posting. Cheers. Did you really roll the art-lite up? Art always says they are just hats - therfore just wear them. Good for you for wearing and using the hat.

Rabbit; Black! Just a grand looking hat. Dimensions are clean and compliment the color schema. Having a liner in the art-lite felt is a great idea. Taking them out is not hard (provided they are made with that in mind).

When I look thru your pics there is a place for the black hat. I see it now. I have not been courageous enough to seek a black hat yet. Thanks for being a trend setter sir. A hat color compliments an outfit. This hat can compliment many components of outfits. I should never have been skeptical of black hats ( For one, wasn't there that movie "Good Guys Wear Black?" Movies are true. ;):eusa_clap ) Well done Rabbit.

BDP; Pecan is a delicious color. That and whiskey are terrific color options. I am in agreement with Rabbit that the greenish grey ribbon is spot on dynamite! Combination just pops in the 4th pic.

Never a dull hat in the Art Fawcett Hall of Fame thread!

Eric -

Thanks for the comments on the pic!

Shaded Dude; Did you really roll the art-lite up?

Absolutely. I asked Art for a roll-able travel hat. In fact I rolled it up for the first exposure....and then unrolled it for the other three in the pic. So thats what it looks like after unrolling for a short time.

It takes some time to come back after being rolled for a long time, but makes traveling with a felt and a panama WAY easier. Roll the felt and wear the panama!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
SD so you actually rolled that hat up...... I take back everything I thought about that hat being rolled. :D

Nice photography, we have some very knowledgeable photogs here on the lounge, for sure.

BDP

New in Town
Doublegun,

There is only one cure for that kind of Flu.... Art- No rest for you, my friend! This sickness can also be referred to as VSAD... Vintage Silhouette Aquisition Disorder.... Oh no! I'm infected!!!!

Brad

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
VS Powderblue LITE w/ 22 L midnight blue

P1070742.jpg

P1070740.jpg

P1070729.jpg

P1070730.jpg

With brim binding in silver, and the star pattern vent holes. As you can see in the last two pictures, the shot with indirect light renders the powderblue felt (and the ribbon) fairly accurately, while the high-contrast shot in direct sunlight makes the felt appear less blue.

It came out just perfect. Thank you, Art, for the excellent work! This one has a moderately high flange, like my VS Black LITE.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit
Very Nice ! did you just recieve this Lite, powder blue ?
how wide is the brim?
the blocking is beautiful tall & straight.
very nice blocking ! & i really dig how the vent holes pop on this color.
I gotta see a pic of this on your ancient rustic wall
i think i got Art's last powder blue lite waiting for its cue after a lite Silverbelly
great hat & colors
che:cool:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit
Very Nice ! did you just recieve this Lite, powder blue ?
how wide is the brim?
the blocking is beautiful tall & straight.
very nice blocking ! & i really dig how the vent holes pop on this color.
I gotta see a pic of this on your ancient rustic wall
i think i got Art's last powder blue lite waiting for its cue after a lite Silverbelly
great hat & colors
che:cool:

Yes inded this Powderblue LITE just arrived; the brim is 5.8cm (in between 2 1/4" and 2 3/8") - this brim width has become a favorite of mine. The vent holes sure pop nicely.
The other Powderblue I already have is a dress weight. The design is very similar on both hats; I pondered on it for a while and decided that the color combination powderblue/ midnight blue (not navy) was simply perfect for me.

My "standard pic" will follow as soon as the lighting conditions are favorable (read: brightly overcast). :) Today the sun was shining mercilessly...lol

The block used for this (and my other lite felts) is straight at the sides, and slightly tapered front & back which results in a straight silhouette once the crown is creased with a moderate cent dent. The crown roof is less flat than on a 52 block, obviously, but not overly rounded either. Both shallow and deep side dents work very well with this block; the crown remains straight in both cases (no reverse taper at the front).

Che, you will love the Silverbelly LITE, I'm sure. It's incredibly versatile, too. The Powderblue is not exactly a traditional color, but it has its place. I like it very much. I'm keen to see what ribbon your Powderblue will be trimmed with.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit good info on Art's Blocking
Say what size are you, that has a lot to do with getting a taller/straighter crown..?
Im 7 1/4 XLO so thats takes up crown or brim right ?
& excellent info on lighting & correct best time for Photo Opps.
we do need to show these colors correctly, which you do great.
yea the silverbelly lite im going a diffrent route for that color.
& ill have time to think out the Powder blue... I just let Art do his thing with the ribbons
But i do like the Width's of yours 22 L Good Job Rabbit ! & ART!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit good info on Art's Blocking
Say what size are you, that has a lot to do with getting a taller/straighter crown..?
Im 7 1/4 XLO so thats takes up crown or brim right ?
& excellent info on lighting & correct best time for Photo Opps.
we do need to show these colors correctly, which you do great.
yea the silverbelly lite im going a diffrent route for that color.
& ill have time to think out the Powder blue... I just let Art do his thing with the ribbons
But i do like the Width's of yours 22 L Good Job Rabbit ! & ART!

I'm 57.3 or 57.4cm - that's nearly a half size north of 7 1/8 - and the head shape is egg oval.
Not sure I understand what you mean by hat size having a lot to do with getting a taller/straighter crown. Would you care to elaborate?

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit
the bigger the head the more felt needed
so a long oval head seems to take more felt as well.
more or less brim or crown height....
were almost the same size ! but im a Longer egg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Rabbit
the bigger the head the more felt needed
so a long oval head seems to take more felt as well.
more or less brim or crown height....
were almost the same size ! but im a Longer egg

I guess for all practical purposes, we're the same size.

Correct me if I'm wrong - I do believe that the amount of felt needed out of the felt raw body is irrelevant to considerations of block shapes. With Panamas it's a different matter altogether, as the size of the straw body as a whole is predetermined due to the backwoven brim; a given Panama body of a certain size used on different head shapes but with basically the same block will result in slightly different brim dimensions.

Last edited:

seabass

Call Me a Cab
DJH !
if my wife see's this im in trouble ! Big trouble !
but
lets us know how it comes out !!!! LOL,

Rabbit Im confused. it all comes down to the (size of the felt bodies) for a taller crown i guess ?
Love your Powder Blue Lite..........cant wait for the Wall Pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner