Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
VS "Ocean liner"

NikonAugust2009001-1.jpg

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Very fine work, with the `optimo` lines at the top and side. Thanks Art for a very nice stingy. 4"-3"-2" (Front crown, back crown, brim...will this set a trend in quoting of the 3 dimensions of hat measurement!? :) )

NikonAugust2009005-1.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
HungaryTom said:
This is exactly my point about hats - this is why I never bought any e-bay ones, only VS. There is simply nothing better in terms of value for my (scarce) money.

I really should take a walk with faith and value and teach them how to behave and get along....... I'm not sure where I got that from but it sounds like Plato or Aristotle to me ;).

:eek:fftopic:

"Fishing today, Sir?"

"Yes, James, with worms."

"A felt hat for the worms today, Sir."

"No, James, just leave them in the can."

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

lc1484

One of the Regulars
WineGuy said:
You know Bart, I spent enough money on ebay vintage hats to buy at least three VS hats and in hind sight I wish I did not buy the ebay hats. Arts hats are better made, custom designed and a perfect fit.

The answer is yes, but Art doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to make him work extra hard on the next one, I'm really going to get into the custom details! Thanks

Wine guy,

that is a very classy lid...congrats on being hooked....I'm like you, bought many vintage on ebay, and just ended up buying 3 (now) VS customs...they fit like gloves and are all everyday wearers...I save my Goodfellow for more formal stuff, but the other 2 get rotated.

Larry:eusa_clap

tortswon

Practically Family
Wow!

Some beautiful hats here! WineGuy, I think you ought to pick up that case of Ornellaia 1999 to celebrate!

Daizawaguy, that ribbon is truly something to behold!. It gets me to thinking about the new Panama that's on it's way to me ...

Congratulations, gentlemen! Best, Sam

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Sold most of the '99 tortswon, but I'm holding one bottle for myself for an occasion. Like the shoemaker whose children go barefoot, I rarely take the best wines in my shop for myself. Let me know if you still want to do the meet up when you get your PB.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Wineguy,

Fantastic hat! Was the burgundy accent Art's 'tip of the hat' to your profession?:)

Mac

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi CRH, it does take some will power, it's so tempting to take my top bottles home for dinner because you don't really feel you are paying for it, but I open a lot of wine for sampling in my store (about 20k per year) so I have to use restraint.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I really should qualify my earlier 'can of worms' post - trying to be tongue-in-cheek and may have missed my point [huh].

I just can't seem to find what I want in the condition I want at the price I want on eBay and I don't own a VS - yet.

What I want will probably be pushing into the price range of a VS anyway so why not just go with a VS and forgo the leap of faith on eBay?

I understand Hungry Tom's point but the whole value comparison between vintage and modern is really a can of worms to me. Modern felt just isn't the same....

kaosharper1

One Too Many
On my recent blue smoke Jazzman varient, Art used a new process to finish the felt that feels more like suede. It feels as good as my vintage Dobbs (from the late 1940s), better than my 1950s vintage Borsalino, and much better than my Stratoliner.

CRH said:
I understand Hungry Tom's point but the whole value comparison between vintage and modern is really a can of worms to me. Modern felt just isn't the same....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo