Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art Fawcett VS Hall of Fame

tortswon

Practically Family
The best of both worlds

CRH, I understand your conundrum (that reference is for you WineGuy). I suffer from it myself. But I have figured out a solution that works for me.

When I purchase an especially nice vintage hat on eBay, I send it to Art for a good once over. He inspects it, fixes what needs fixing, cleans, and blocks the hat. When you send back the conformer to Art, he maintains your specs and builds a wood model from the conformer measurements. When he works on my vintage hat, he uses that model to shape it before he returns it to me just as he would for a custom made hat. Naturally, some sacrifices are made since the hat is already built but I find that I get 99% of the custom fit with the vintage felt of an old hat.

It's not free but it sure adds to the wearing pleasure and the appearance of the hat. Art has done this for me on several hats, including a Stratoliner, and is currently working on a black Whippet. Talk to Art and see if it is worth it to you. Best, Sam

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Just got my work of Art.

Heavyweight Whiskey felt, natural edge, tear drop crease, 2 7/8" brim, 5 1/2" crown, dark olive drab 1 5/8" headband with Burgundy contrasting stripe, black lining and light tobacco sweat band.

Now I understand!

IMG_3891.jpg

That hat is a real peach and looks tremendous on you. congratulations indeed!

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Thanks Barrelhouse, but now that I own a "work of Art" I can finally confess that I curse the Fedora Lounge and I curse all of you! A year ago if anyone told me I'd be obsessed with Fedora's I would have laughed out loud. I'm still not sure if the day back in April when I discovered the Lounge looking for info on vintage A-2 flight jackets was a good thing or bad. In less than five months I have purchased seven hats culminating with Art's and now I'm going to want to dump the ebay stuff to raise cash to commission more VS hats....that's the Conundrum (back at you tortswon)

CRH...do as I say and not as I did. Go straight to Art and commission a hat and don't waist your time on ebay. Not one hat purchased on ebay fits me right and most were not exactly what was represent i.e. a hat represented as being from the early 40's turned out to be from the early 60's etc. I'm going to take tortswon's advise and send several ebay hats to Art for re-blocking and clean up.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
WineGuy said:
I'm going to take tortswon's advise and send several ebay hats to Art for re-blocking and clean up.

Just make sure to send me that supernatural equadorian hat co. Panama if it doesn't make the list :D

HungaryTom

One Too Many
I think that Art's hats emulate enough from the vintage hats that are available second hand on e-bay with all the advantages of a new and custom made hat. I bought a ton of second hand books which I read, but I don’t feel like putting on used hats on my head.

Yes, modern felt hats have no mercury but I can get this heavy metal any time from old accumulators if I miss that.

I regularly observe the stream of hat photos at the Lounge and download the styles I particularly like – many of them were Vintage Silhouettes.

Some of Art’s styles and color combinations seem to coincide with my personal taste – up to the point where I am willing to pay. I know how much I have spent on VS hats still I never regretted this obsession.

I am simply happy, that I found a maker who has EXACTLY what I want.

Tom

CRH

Call Me a Cab
WineGuy said:
...Not one hat purchased on ebay fits me right and most were not exactly what was represent i.e. ...

That's the leap of faith. I hear you loud and clear, Mr. Wineslinger.

BTW, would you say that whiskey color is closer to Bourbon, Scotch, or Canadian ;)?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Hey, Wineguy, thanks for making my life a little more complicated. I am looking forward to receiving Art's "conformer" next week and starting the process. The problem is there are so many hats on this thread that I covet I am not sure what to order first and every new picture makes it tougher.. Hopefully the felt samples will provide guidance.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
Hi Doublegun, You should do what I did.

I picked a felt color and gave Art a brief description of the styles I like, but most important, I sent him pics of me wearing several of my different hats and included a front, side and rear angle shot. Art called to me with a strong lecture as to how ALL the hats did not suit me and he suggested I just let him pick the proportions and bash for the hat....best gamble I ever took.

univibe88

One Too Many
WineGuy said:
I sent him pics of me wearing several of my different hats and included a front, side and rear angle shot. Art called to me with a strong lecture as to how ALL the hats did not suit me and he suggested I just let him pick the proportions and bash for the hat....best gamble I ever took.

This is great advice for anyone considering his first hat from Art. I did this when I got my first one. Art has an amazing eye for proportion.

Doublegun

Practically Family
WineGuy said:
Hi Doublegun, You should do what I did.

I picked a felt color and gave Art a brief description of the styles I like, but most important, I sent him pics of me wearing several of my different hats and included a front, side and rear angle shot. Art called to me with a strong lecture as to how ALL the hats did not suit me and he suggested I just let him pick the proportions and bash for the hat....best gamble I ever took.

Art and I have already had that discussion and I'll be sending him pictures next week. Based on our conversation I am expecting less crown and a wider brim than my current lids which means I'll probably be selling my Fed IV Delux and a Borsalino Como this fall. I also expect end up ordering two hats from Art. I want one to wear in the winter with a dark navy Burberry topcoat that is a little more formal and one a little more versatile to wear with my trench coat or my dark brown Aero (that will not prompt Indiana Jones comments).

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the comments but all credit must go to Art. Larry - Art has a stock of various Montecristi bodies from time to time - ask him what you want and I`m sure he will satisfy :) Jauntyone - some of my ribbon work colours was inspired by some traditional Japanese silk kimono color combinations, but the final choice was left to Art.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
With thanks to Art Fawcett...

Fellows,

It is a joy to present my Art Fawcett montecristi panama. This wonderful hat did come into my life about a month ago. Thanks to a professional photographer, I am now able to post this picture.

Let me use the opportunity to express my thanks to Art Fawcett, for this piece of craftmanshap and for the communication process leading to this result.

I very much enjoy the fit and I relish the ribbon. It is dark grey, with a touch of green, and a burgundy accent on the bow.

ArtFawcettMontecristi.jpg

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Fashion crime?

Kabuto,

Please, do not take me as an example in matters of fashion :eek:

I am a complete fashion crime...
You know... I wear a hat... [huh]
and I defy esthetical values with the colours I combine :eusa_doh:

As to a polo-shirt with a t-shirt underneath: well, it just feels comfortable...

Viper Man

Banned
Jeff Naylor said:
A new entry for the Art Hall of Fame: My new Homburg!

Unfortunate pic, can't see the bash:

hat5.jpg

hat4.jpg

:eusa_clap Sweet! I don't know that I've ever seen a VS homburg before. It looks great, Jeff! Can you give us some details? Color, etc.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy