Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

PoohBang

Suspended
My thoughts are, "Who cares."

It's just words. The kids were having fun, dressed up in their princess outfits, acting just like they see the artist perform on TV.

Kids like to play. Boys (generally) dress up in army, cowboy or indian play outfits and "kill" other boys... That's okay?

I'd rather have a little kid rapping than killing.

Would you want people to tell YOU that you're raising your kid wrong? Not this crowd I'm sure.

If the kids were doing something against the law then sure. Do something. But otherwise who cares.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
you asked for opinions. You got mine.

"Who cares" is a question, unless you meant it as a statement as in no one could possibly care. So I responded to both possible meanings.

It's just words.

Here are some words I can't type out in full: B****, N*****, C***, etc. Not words to be teaching little ones to repeat.

The kids were having fun, dressed up in their princess outfits, acting just like they see the artist perform on TV.

So if it's "fun" and on TV that makes it acceptable to you?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think the fun stops if they call a fellow classmate a racial or a sexist slur.

Maybe this little girl can comprehend all the nuances of that kind of language, but somehow I doubt that at her age she is able to. Most parents don't even talk about this stuff with their (much) older children, yet alone younger primary school students. This is why we don't assign books with that language in it until there have been talks about institutionalized racism, sexism, and context/ history in schools. Even then, most education about racism and sexism is far far too shallow in my opinion.

I also don't support parents posting videos of their children doing embarassing things on the internet, or at least not publically on YouTube. While it might be cute to a parent that their child is using offensive profanity or racist or sexist language, the child might grow up to think it's not. And when the parent posts it on the internet, it is not just an embarrassing photo or video that a few people can see- those parents have shown it to the whole world.

PoohBang

Suspended
"Who cares" is a question, unless you meant it as a statement as in no one could possibly care. So I responded to both possible meanings.

It's just words.

Here are some words I can't type out in full: B****, N*****, C***, etc. Not words to be teaching little ones to repeat.

The kids were having fun, dressed up in their princess outfits, acting just like they see the artist perform on TV.

So if it's "fun" and on TV that makes it acceptable to you?

I'm not going to get too deep into this, but since you keep asking...

I meant is as statement, hence no question mark. As in, it's not your business what these parents do for fun with their kids as long as the children are safe and it's not against the law.

yes, it's just words. I wouldn't teach those words to my kids, and I never said what they did was right. But I did and will say again, it's not my business what they do with their kids. Nor is it yours or anybodys unless the kids are in danger.

Its acceptable if the kids look like their having a fun time. And by the link you provided, they were both having fun. If their parents let them watch the video's it's their thing. Not mine.

I get where you're coming from, I do. I wouldn't do that with my kids either.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

It's just words. The kids were having fun, dressed up in their princess outfits, acting just like they see the artist perform on TV.

Kids like to play. Boys (generally) dress up in army, cowboy or indian play outfits and "kill" other boys... That's okay?

Would you want people to tell YOU that you're raising your kid wrong? Not this crowd I'm sure.

If the kids were doing something against the law then sure. Do something. But otherwise who cares.

You cannot dispute there are parents who are bringing up their children badly - there are no two ways about it and society is paying the price - the disintigration of the family unit results in the disintigration of society and it can all start innocuously enough. Allowing your children to use language or dress in a manner that is years down the line is just wrong (I don't mean as princesses or as children dressing in their Mum's dress and pearls - I mean wearing adult type or suggestive clothing). Exposing them to subject matter beyond their years is also wrong - and thinking kids are completely dumb and have no idea is underestimating them. Children should be allowed to remain children for as long as humanely possible - and not be subjected to a lot of filth that our present culture is shovling out with gay abandon.

Would I want my child using filthy or racist language just because she is singing a song? I certainly would not. Nor would I want her associating with children who do. It's not cool and it's not acceptable.

You ask - who cares? Well unlike a lot of lazy, disinterested parents - I do.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What's really sad, tragic, offensive, and stupid isn't just letting kids feed on filth -- it's supposedly full-grown mature adults standing around laughing it up and thinking it's funny and cute. If that's not a sign of a degenerate culture, I don't know what is. Is that the culture we're satisfied to live in? It's time we stopped making excuses for it.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not going to get too deep into this, but since you keep asking...

I meant is as statement, hence no question mark. As in, it's not your business what these parents do for fun with their kids as long as the children are safe and it's not against the law.

yes, it's just words. I wouldn't teach those words to my kids, and I never said what they did was right. But I did and will say again, it's not my business what they do with their kids. Nor is it yours or anybodys unless the kids are in danger.

Its acceptable if the kids look like their having a fun time. And by the link you provided, they were both having fun. If their parents let them watch the video's it's their thing. Not mine.

I get where you're coming from, I do. I wouldn't do that with my kids either.

Thank you for this.

The thing that crosses the line that makes it my business or anyone else's is that the parents made it very public and open to scrutiny. Additionally, by putting their little girls online gyrating and rapping vulgar/sexist etc lyrics is that ANYONE can see it. Pedophiles, kidnappers, wackos, etc. The girls can't decide for themselves how they want to portray themselves to the world or what is right or wrong in their own minds. So to put them on display like that can be damaging to them, in my opinion.

Culturally, I see it as my business in that it's propagating a culture I find abhorrent. But you are right that unless they are breaking the law, nothing can be done except to vent, work to enact new laws and/or educate.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a parent, nor do I ever plan to be - And I care.

I don't recall anybody telling these people how to raise their kids. If we didn't have intelligent discussions like this, if everyone just said "who cares," society would suffer. Somebody has to care. Somebody has to stand up and say "this is not how things should be, and *I'm* not going to do it."

Miss Golightly, well written. :eusa_clap

PoohBang

Suspended
I get the venting part. But there is nothing you can do, besides writing Youtube and asking it be taken down.

I'd love to protect kids too from all the evils of the world. But unless everyone thought like me, I can't. Honestly I'm with you, but I can also say who cares, because unless it's illegal, why worry about it, there is nothing you can do.

It just gets you worked up for nothing.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I get the venting part. But there is nothing you can do, besides writing Youtube and asking it be taken down.

I'd love to protect kids too from all the evils of the world. But unless everyone thought like me, I can't. Honestly I'm with you, but I can also say who cares, because unless it's illegal, why worry about it, there is nothing you can do.

It just gets you worked up for nothing.

I know what you mean and I agree to a point, but I also believe in the power of influence and the therapeutic value of venting constructively.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here

PB,
When you say, "this crowd", to whom are you referring? The varied members of the Fedora Lounge numbering above 21k members? Or the crowd commenting in this thread? Are you, then, separating yourself from said group? Are you, then, not a part of this discussion somehow? What kind of statement is this but inflammatory? You're raising a question and then damning a group of people with the immediate answer. It's not an argument, you've provided no points. It's condescending and unappreciated. I've kept my mouth shut until now, but I've seen a pattern in your posts and I think it's a shame. You seem to be a smart fella, but you have a real issue with coming into a conversation and taking a crap for no seemingly good reason but to stir the bowl.

Boys sometimes play army, etc. based on media they've encountered (which parents should be monitoring) including books, television, video games etc. However, specifically, boys play physically because that is their human nature and a progression of their roles in society. Girls have similar games they play which are extensions of eventual roles and needs. In any case, it is a parent's duty to monitor and make suggestions, if not outright control, what their children are "playing". That's not to say parents don't have a difficult time adapting to modern ethics, but if a little girl is singing filthy songs, then yes, mom and dad should knock it the h*ll off.

My point here is that WE, the crowd, or more importantly Society, have an integral role in shaping our youth. I agree with you that folks should raise their own kids - I don't think someone should tell me how to raise my child. But to simply laugh and say, "C'est la vie!" is lazy and ignorant. Have some class for godsake. It's not cute or funny to watch children acting like this, much less watching adults act like this. And for boys, it's not funny to see people murdered, so why not have a discussion with your kids when they're playing army? Or god forbid, sit them down each night and read to them about WWII.

We can't possibly control everything our children do, that would obviously drive us all mad. But what's wrong with a little shame? Do we need to be so lazy and shameless? Is it wrong to instill a sense of class into our youth? As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what "this crowd" would like, and I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Pompidou

One Too Many
PB,
When you say, "this crowd", to whom are you referring? The varied members of the Fedora Lounge numbering above 21k members? Or the crowd commenting in this thread? Are you, then, separating yourself from said group? Are you, then, not a part of this discussion somehow? What kind of statement is this but inflammatory? You're raising a question and then damning a group of people with the immediate answer. It's not an argument, you've provided no points. It's condescending and unappreciated. I've kept my mouth shut until now, but I've seen a pattern in your posts and I think it's a shame. You seem to be a smart fella, but you have a real issue with coming into a conversation and taking a crap for no seemingly good reason but to stir the bowl.

Boys sometimes play army, etc. based on media they've encountered (which parents should be monitoring) including books, television, video games etc. However, specifically, boys play physically because that is their human nature and a progression of their roles in society. Girls have similar games they play which are extensions of eventual roles and needs. In any case, it is a parent's duty to monitor and make suggestions, if not outright control, what their children are "playing". That's not to say parents don't have a difficult time adapting to modern ethics, but if a little girl is singing filthy songs, then yes, mom and dad should knock it the h*ll off.

My point here is that WE, the crowd, or more importantly Society, have an integral role in shaping our youth. I agree with you that folks should raise their own kids - I don't think someone should tell me how to raise my child. But to simply laugh and say, "C'est la vie!" is lazy and ignorant. Have some class for godsake. It's not cute or funny to watch children acting like this, much less watching adults act like this. And for boys, it's not funny to see people murdered, so why not have a discussion with your kids when they're playing army? Or god forbid, sit them down each night and read to them about WWII.

We can't possibly control everything our children do, that would obviously drive us all mad. But what's wrong with a little shame? Do we need to be so lazy and shameless? Is it wrong to instill a sense of class into our youth? As far as I'm concerned, that's exactly what "this crowd" would like, and I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Part of me welcomes society's general rebellion against a past where there was too much shame. Perhaps the pendulum is swinging too far - I can't put a finger on where we should be, ideally - but in general, I'm opposed to rules that do less than maintain public safety. People just being themselves is the most important thing to me, provided nobody gets hurt - actually hurt, not just offended sensibilities - I don't think those warrant protection.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Added to my wish list on amazon!

Me too - I've been struggling for quite a while to understand the issue of why many modern females choose to debase themselves in the name of "equality".
Thank you for this.

The thing that crosses the line that makes it my business or anyone else's is that the parents made it very public and open to scrutiny. Additionally, by putting their little girls online gyrating and rapping vulgar/sexist etc lyrics is that ANYONE can see it. Pedophiles, kidnappers, wackos, etc. The girls can't decide for themselves how they want to portray themselves to the world or what is right or wrong in their own minds. So to put them on display like that can be damaging to them, in my opinion.

Culturally, I see it as my business in that it's propagating a culture I find abhorrent. But you are right that unless they are breaking the law, nothing can be done except to vent, work to enact new laws and/or educate.

So well said - this has been thrown into the public sphere, so yes, fair game it is. I'd give it the Pedo Bear Seal of Approval, for sure. If my mother had posted a video of me gyrating thusly with filthy lyrics pouring out of my mouth at that age, I don't think I would be thinking too much of her parenting skills. Just gross. (Besides the fact that, sorry, I don't hear or see any talent here whatsoever. View this aside of a clip of the Nicholas Brothers at that age, then we'll talk.)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
People just being themselves is the most important thing to me, provided nobody gets hurt - actually hurt, not just offended sensibilities - I don't think those warrant protection.

But that's the problem, and what many people aren't seeing - These children are being hurt. You can take a very convincing scientific stance here and point out how this will mar their mental make-up in their formative years. Physical wounds heal faster than psychological ones.

Pompidou

One Too Many
But that's the problem, and what many people aren't seeing - These children are being hurt. You can take a very convincing scientific stance here and point out how this will mar their mental make-up in their formative years. Physical wounds heal faster than psychological ones.

I'm not qualified to disagree, but I can say you can find about as many scientists on either side of the impressionable youth debate. I follow it from time to time in regards to video games and movies more-so than music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24