Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

rue

Last week a video of little Sophia Grace Brownlee rapping to Nicki Minaj’s Super Bass went viral. While the blogosphere praised her amazing vocals on the chorus, no one seemed to question why a child was listening to a Nicki Minaj tune in the first place.

Nicki is known for her raunchy, suggestive lyrics and this song is no different. Super Bass talks about being attracted to a guy who sells drugs, contains profanity and other offensive words. Don’t believe me? Here are some of the lyrics:

Read more: http://technorati.com/women/article/should-a-kindergartner-really-be-listening/#ixzz1aW4XmfL6

I agree with this commentary. What are your thoughts?

I can't get the page to load and I don't know who that Minaj broad is, but after watching her video I now have a headache :eusa_doh:

I agree so much with this, it hurts. I'll clean up a quote from the 1989 movie Parenthood, in which Keanu Reeves says: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - You even need a license to catch a fish. But anyone can be a father."
Exactly.

Pompidou

One Too Many
20 years from now, this song'll be a classic, likely considered wholesome, and played on your favorite oldies radio station. If this current sensation persists to the year these girls enter the real world, that generation will see the song as quaint and harmless, like we see the songs that used to be controversial today.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I agree so much with this, it hurts. I'll clean up a quote from the 1989 movie Parenthood, in which Keanu Reeves says: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - You even need a license to catch a fish. But anyone can be a father."

Not to get into anything too "graphic"....but we as adults all know the process involved in "creating" life...two small cells collide and "bingo"...but I have to say here, normally, those two cells develop in so many ways and later become a full size human....now for the parents involved within this story and problem issue if you want to call it that...to me...some how the actual level of "education" and ability to "think" just is not there! The reason for it? What ever level of intelligence that those two original cells had, was all those parents possess. There was no development beyond the "amoeba" stage.

The danger is very clearly made available for anyone to observe and the outcome is that they have kids....and guess what....those kids are going to only develop to the same "amoeba" level that their parents did.

Now if this is not so, look at how many so called celebrities are, and how their children are? It seems to be very genetic to me! It is one of the major mysteries of our time. Really. Think about it, please. Here you have so many celebrities that are "like well, um ah...yeah, like wowie now"..they can't even talk! Don't ask them to do anything simple like add four and four, you'll put them into cardiac arrest! But they are having kids....they name them things like "Zoom" or "Pillow"...and them kids are amoeba's like the parents are.

This is going to continue to be a part of our society. Think just like that one Gal that has the eight kids....(well two now are famous for that)...but I will go with the one...Octo-Mom. You can bet if even one of her kids was spotted on the roof of her home, ready to jump off and risking injury, but on film...the reporters all filming it, and it had anything at all to do with "her" getting some money out of it, watch out...she would have all eight of those kids ready to jump off to collect what she could from it.

Octo-Mom....coming to your television.....soon....(YEOW)!:eeek:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
20 years from now, this song'll be a classic, likely considered wholesome, and played on your favorite oldies radio station. If this current sensation persists to the year these girls enter the real world, that generation will see the song as quaint and harmless, like we see the songs that used to be controversial today.
I seriously doubt it. 20 years from now, if our "society" continues along the "Who Cares?" course it is now on, we will have ceased to exist as any sort of viable society. Anyone with an ounce of perception can see the writing on the wall. It all comes down to what is known as Moral Absolutes. Plain and simple.
EVERYONE, and I mean absolutely every single human being that has ever walked this earth or whoever will, KNOWS right from wrong. There are no grey areas. This is why those that are excused as being "criminally insane" try their damnedest to hide the crimes that they commit. They know that what they did was wrong, and that they will be punished for it.
If it feels creepy, weird, sick, perverted, disgusting,..and well, just WRONG, then it is, don't do it! If one has to think twice about it,...if one's conscience bothers one. It's wrong. Period.
Now in all honesty, how could we possibly condone such things?? Especially since we are now actually seeing the results of such attitudes in rising societal ills, after years of tolerance of immorality and just plain stupidity. We can't just continue to hide our heads in the sand, and pretend that everything is ok.
It truly starts with the family unit, and families need to raise their children to be effective leaders and participants in any future society. Children invariably emulate the adults they see in their formative years. If parents can't or are not allowed to foster responsible decision making in their children's lives, then we will have total anarchy at best.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
c-dot said:
I'll clean up a quote from the 1989 movie Parenthood, in which Keanu Reeves says: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - You even need a license to catch a fish. But anyone can be a father."

I've often used this quotation, but change it to being a 'mother' and something about making the letter 'V'.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The danger is very clearly made available for anyone to observe and the outcome is that they have kids....and guess what....those kids are going to only develop to the same "amoeba" level that their parents did.

It's true - People don't often think past the biological portion of creating children. Hell, that's the easy part.

You're using proportionality again, and it just doesn't work. What we have today are a vast amount of rapidly changing trends, in our rapidly changing world: think about how quickly and fast they have changed in the last ten years alone. Teenagers right now think a song from 2005 is cheesy.

Also, not every single song out there is as bad as Minaj's for content, and they are the much more popular ones. Look at the lyrics to Lady Gaga's songs - They're "out there," but they aren't the trash that Minaj and her contemporaries produce. Few of the popular artists we see today will be remembered in a short time - Think back to 2005 again. Remember Ciara? Of course you don't. How about Beyoncé? Yes, she was the one that remained popular. Compare Gaga to Minaj - Gaga is a living legend. Minaj will be forgotten in a few years.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You're using proportionality again, and it just doesn't work. What we have today are a vast amount of rapidly changing trends, in our rapidly changing world: think about how quickly and fast they have changed in the last ten years alone. Teenagers right now think a song from 2005 is cheesy.

What it sounds like to me is simply a variation of the old grade school argument: "Everybody ELSE is doing it, so that makes it OK!" That's the kind of argument that used to get me a slap to the side of the head when I tried it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What it sounds like to me is simply a variation of the old grade school argument: "Everybody ELSE is doing it, so that makes it OK!" That's the kind of argument that used to get me a slap to the side of the head when I tried it.

That one never flew with my folks, either. They'd ask me if I'd take a nap in the road if everyone else did it.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
It is no secret I dislike some of the music, (you can call it music when to me it is like a cat scratching on a chalk board) rapp, hip slop, what ever, but in the long run and music that has such crummy words in it, advocating a rats rear end is tasty...and for the issue of some kid listening to the music, well, I say a rope and a short stool would be a fitting cure for them (parents, not child).

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Gaga is a living legend.

Off topic: I strongly dislike Lady Gaga. I think she lacks talent. I am more of a low budget melody kind of gal. If you take away the gimmicks, smoke and mirrors, technical help, etc I don't think there is much there whereas true music and lovely voices don't need all the flash and glitter. She's entertaining for some, a kind of vaudeville, that I can see. But legend as far as talent, I have to disagree.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Off topic: I strongly dislike Lady Gaga. I think she lacks talent. I am more of a low budget melody kind of gal. If you take away the gimmicks, smoke and mirrors, technical help, etc I don't think there is much there whereas true music and lovely voices don't need all the flash and glitter. She's entertaining for some, a kind of vaudeville, that I can see. But legend as far as talent, I have to disagree.

In the eyes of pop music lovers she is, and I have no doubt that she'll be remembered for many, many years. I have to admit she's creative, though I wonder when the time will come when she won't be able to top herself.

As far as talent, if you haven't listened to her duet "The Lady is a Tramp" with Tony Bennett, you'd be surprised how lovely her voice really is (I sure was!) Tony has a good ear - he wouldn't sing with someone who had no talent.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
In the eyes of pop music lovers she is, and I have no doubt that she'll be remembered for many, many years. I have to admit she's creative, though I wonder when the time will come when she won't be able to top herself.

As far as talent, if you haven't listened to her duet "The Lady is a Tramp" with Tony Bennett, you'd be surprised how lovely her voice really is (I sure was!) Tony has a good ear - he wouldn't sing with someone who had no talent.

Perhaps she has true, no-need-for-tricks talent but she's not talented at conveying it, in my opinion. I'll leave it at that. :)

Wait. OK, So I cringed as I hit "play" to listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7f_OnZQAn4

I admit she has a lovely voice here! Too bad she hides it so well otherwise!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I tend to agree that this "GaGa" may have a voice...but the way she uses all the sick props (wearing meat, give me a break), and depends on electronic flash and flair of a few dozen flaming bozo's on stage to make her act a success, speaks for a lack of being able to just showcase and use any talent that she may have. She is the female mirror of Pee Wee Herman, doing a strip tease act to showcase his ability to flip a hamburger. Do we need it?.....

The first time I heard the name, GaGa, I knew right then and there...yep...someone spaced out enough to make the average person...."Gag"!

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Meanwhile, my local news just posted this:

WMTW-TV
A follow-up after our post earlier this week. The spotlight loves this little girl! Click "Like" if you think it was great for Ellen to give her this opportunity, and click "Share" to send to your friends and family!
http://www.wmtw.com/entertainment/29465254/detail.html?source=htvs
Nicki Minaj Surprises Sophia Grace On Ellen
www.wmtw.com
Nicki Minaj surprises two little girls who have become YouTube sensations with their performance of the star's hit song Super Bass.

Isn't it great!!!

:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner