Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I'm not surprised they were cleaned up one bit... the point I was trying to make is that people were just as dirty in their musical talents as well as other performing arts (movies, music, ect) as they are today. The only difference is the fast accessibility people have to these blue songs. I'm sure had the internet been around in the 30's the Dirty version of Shave em Dry... would have been released and more well known to the people of the 30's than the cleaned up take. To believe in a puritanical yesteryear is nothing more than wearing blinders.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
RE: Shave Em Dry -- I LOVE the part in the middle where she bursts out laughing and someone else is laughing in the background. What Lizzie said about it being for her own amusement makes perfect sense during that moment.

My favourite part too!!! Oh I need to play it now... off to listen to my sinning music.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm not surprised they were cleaned up one bit... the point I was trying to make is that people were just as dirty in their musical talents as well as other performing arts (movies, music, ect) as they are today. The only difference is the fast accessibility people have to these blue songs. I'm sure had the internet been around in the 30's the Dirty version of Shave em Dry... would have been released and more well known to the people of the 30's than the cleaned up take. To believe in a puritanical yesteryear is nothing more than wearing blinders.

Nah, I don't think anyone here is blind or naive enough to believe that yesteryear was puritanical. I do think there were stricter standards for what was acceptable. Did people still act out otherwise? Of course. And even if each day was bawdier than today, I would still stand by my contention that parents shouldn't broadcast little girls singing and gyrating to any song with "adult" themes.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I just watched the vid to get a better idea of what it was and I seriously didn't think it was horrible. I think the little girl likes that song (not just the song but style of music) and was having fun with it. I don't think there was any exploitation involved with posting it online. Heck, I couldn't even understand what the kid was saying (my guess is she doesn't either). I took that as a video of fun and not seriousness. I was rocking out to Boy George and Madonna at her age... All in fun.

I did all that, too, although I was a teen. Had I been six years old and my parents spied me rolling on the floor to "Like a Virgin" and filmed me and shared it with the world, I'd say that's nuts. So again, the kids are innocent, the parents and media, not so much.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Exactly, but the culture doesn't change either talking about this here on a golden era forum.

I was singing Elvis as a kid. There are some adult themes there and I was gyrating. Nobody filmed it, but does that still make my parents awful people?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Exactly, but the culture doesn't change either talking about this here on a golden era forum.

I was singing Elvis as a kid. There are some adult themes there and I was gyrating. Nobody filmed it, but does that still make my parents awful people?

I want to see that...bring the pop corn!

I think the parents of this little girl are some nasty people.

No one allowed some young kid to do this stuff years ago.

I stick to my original fix on the issue, rope and a short stool for the parents.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I know that she wasn't mainstream, but Lucille Bogan sings about many topics like prostitution, drugs, getting "sloppy drunk", race, weight, sex, and crime. Those songs were recorded back then, just not brought to the mainstream like they would be today.

Also, I liked Blondie in kindergarten. Had NO CLUE what her songs were about. Then when I got a little older it was Madonna with "Like A Virgin." Still NO CLUE what that song was about and I didn't even question it. Then Samantha Fox "Touch Me (I Want Your Body)". My sister and I used to "dance sexy" all the time when we were little. I can see how it would be an issue with it being on youtube (I agree that is creepy!), but in general -- that's what a lot of little girls do. My sister is a doctor and I'm working on my Masters degree. We turned out alright, I think.

Nice...is it on the internet the "performance" you and your sister did? If it was, do you think it would help your career, or your sisters?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This entire topic about should a 5 year old be listening and performing this type of music, reminds me of allowing a five year old child, to have her ears pierced, tatoo on her chest of a naked man in and excited mood, (yeah you get the picture) have her wearing some see through under wear and send her on the "Ellen" show....oh and don't forget to give her a glass of Johnny Walker in one hand, and a Joint to smoke in the other...why not, if it is "all good"....

I sense some amoeba's about to not like what I just stated...but hey, it is my opinion and that is my story and I am sticking to it...(no offense).

Last edited:

Pompidou

One Too Many
This entire topic about should a 5 year old be listening and performing this type of music, reminds me of allowing a five year old child, to have her ears pierced, tatoo on her chest of a naked man in and excited mood, (yeah you get the picture) have her wearing some see through under wear and send her on the "Ellen" show....oh and don't forget to give her a glass of Johnny Walker in one hand, and a Joint to smoke in the other...why not, if it is "all good"....
I sense some amoeba's about to not like what I just stated...but hey, it is my opinion and that is my story and I am sticking to if....(no offense).

Gotta watch out for those amoebas. They can be remarkably disagreeable.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I honestly don't have many problems with "healthy sexuality" in music. Even little children are sexual beings, who want to explore their own bodies and know how babies are made. And part of healthy sex is that it is a pleasurable experience that people enjoy, which is something that music with what I would call "healthy sexuality" expresses. I do have a major problem with exposing children to ideas about sex I find unhealthy- such as women are sexual objects, sexual abuse, glorifying rape, etc.

The reason why misogyny and racism exist is because our society allows them to happen.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I honestly don't have many problems with "healthy sexuality" in music. Even little children are sexual beings, who want to explore their own bodies and know how babies are made. And part of healthy sex is that it is a pleasurable experience that people enjoy, which is something that music with what I would call "healthy sexuality" expresses. I do have a major problem with exposing children to ideas about sex I find unhealthy- such as women are sexual objects, sexual abuse, glorifying rape, etc.

The reason why misogyny and racism exist is because our society allows them to happen.

We are all human....even some sad excuse of a human , "Hilter"...I really think if he was alive and for some reason was filmed playing a Kazoo, he would make it on the "Ellen" show and no never mind what the Guy stood for. Some would probably make some card board lil broom mustaches to hand out in the crowd, knowing how things go on that show. I am sure some would think it was "cool" for a kid to be on Ellen with Hitler....getting their pictures plastered all over, even in the T.V. Guide reviews..., "Little Doris sings some nasty song, and sat next to Adolph"! Not MY kid. Never happen.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I don't believe I've ever seen or heard rape glorified out right, anything that would be on that level of explicit content would be so far under the radar anyway that a child wouldn't hear it or see it.

It's not like anyone complains when a man is treated like an object or a piece of garbage, but a woman is always a victim somehow yet they're perfectly capable of responsibility. Seems like a patronising notion.
Not picking a fight, just something to consider.

Also hitler kind of killed that toothbrush mustache look for men didn't he? It went from Chaplin right to Hitler. Then it was pretty much over.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I don't believe I've ever seen or heard rape glorified out right, anything that would be on that level of explicit content would be so far under the radar anyway that a child wouldn't hear it or see it.

It's not like anyone complains when a man is treated like an object or a piece of garbage, but a woman is always a victim somehow yet they're perfectly capable of responsibility. Seems like a patronising notion.
Not picking a fight, just something to consider.

Also hitler kind of killed that toothbrush mustache look for men didn't he? It went from Chaplin right to Hitler. Then it was pretty much over.

Yes but my point is, there are too many "parents" willing to accept anything to be "o.k." for their kids and you know the kids don't know any better!

Recall recently the "balloon boy" ordeal? Same amoeba parents just a different location....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy