Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Article: "Should A Kindergartner Really Be Listening To Nicki Minaj?"

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's not like anyone complains when a man is treated like an object or a piece of garbage, but a woman is always a victim somehow yet they're perfectly capable of responsibility. Seems like a patronising notion.
Not picking a fight, just something to consider.

The fact that misandry exists doesn't make misogyny okay.
The fact that misogyny exists doesn't make misandry okay.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I honestly don't have many problems with "healthy sexuality" in music. Even little children are sexual beings, who want to explore their own bodies and know how babies are made. And part of healthy sex is that it is a pleasurable experience that people enjoy, which is something that music with what I would call "healthy sexuality" expresses. I do have a major problem with exposing children to ideas about sex I find unhealthy- such as women are sexual objects, sexual abuse, glorifying rape, etc.

The reason why misogyny and racism exist is because our society allows them to happen.

I am not for one to pick on you, as you do have a fairly calm demeanor and are a good person.

Children already have it fairly hard in todays world. Think about it. When you were in school, did you have to worry about little Stewart coming to class with a assault rifle shooting up the room and maybe then dropping that and pulling out his next choice of weapon, his 15 shot pistol? Kids need to have an edge to make it today....but not an edge of the magnitude of being involved with "junk"....music or no music....that stuff is junk.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I'm not defending mysogyny or mysandry, it's just an observation. Those two things will no doubt always be around though.

As for the parenting issue, well who am I to say? Maybe they should be more responsible with their children, but I don't think it's my place to shake a finger at them. It doesn't have to be fact, it's just how I look at it.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm not defending mysogyny or mysandry, it's just an observation. Those two things will no doubt always be around though.

As for the parenting issue, well who am I to say? Maybe they should be more responsible with their children, but I don't think it's my place to shake a finger at them. It doesn't have to be fact, it's just how I look at it.

Myself as a Parent, I tend to get a bit "miffed" when I see the screwball stuff that is going on today....but you are right....let the world swallow them up....

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Children already have it fairly hard in todays world. Think about it. When you were in school, did you have to worry about little Stewart coming to class with a assault rifle shooting up the room and maybe then dropping that and pulling out his next choice of weapon, his 15 shot pistol? Kids need to have an edge to make it today....but not an edge of the magnitude of being involved with "junk"....music or no music....that stuff is junk.

First, I know you're not picking on me. :) I do think the song in question is junk and not healthy sexuality. A five year old shouldn't know all the nasty names that women and men call each other.

I do believe in early sexual education that is age appropriate- 5 year olds should know about where babies come from in an age-appropriate way, because they ask. I don't think outright lying (about the stork) eases childhood, it just makes things more difficult later on. I personally don't have a problem with songs "Like a Virgin" because, in many ways, that song emphasizes how important the "right partner" is and could bring up good discussio like how important it is to wait for the right person. But I still wouldn't film my child singing it and put it on the web.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
First, I know you're not picking on me. :) I do think the song in question is junk and not healthy sexuality. A five year old shouldn't know all the nasty names that women and men call each other.

I do believe in early sexual education that is age appropriate- 5 year olds should know about where babies come from in an age-appropriate way, because they ask. I don't think outright lying (about the stork) eases childhood, it just makes things more difficult later on. I personally don't have a problem with songs "Like a Virgin" because, in many ways, that song emphasizes how important the "right partner" is and could bring up good discussio like how important it is to wait for the right person. But I still wouldn't film my child singing it and put it on the web.

I appreciate you know I am not directing any statements to you.

My kids are great, they are all grown and have no major issues and had no major issues along the road....but at the age of five, if they wanted to ask me "where do babies come from", I would have told them the stork brings them.
At maybe the age of 12 to 16, they would have had a more factual response.

W.C. Fields...(quote), "Children, yes of course I love children, ...specially when they are well done"!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.

In all reality I have no issue with the song, "like a virgin" because I don't listen to that sort of music. Honestly I have never heard the entire song and think I will make it to being very old and happy without any change to that fact!

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
Myself as a Parent, I tend to get a bit "miffed" when I see the screwball stuff that is going on today....but you are right....let the world swallow them up....

The time I step into telling a parent what to do is when their child is being a brat to my animal while the parent does nothing. This is a thing I have seen more than once. Along with less respect for other peoples property. There ARE lazy parents out there. It's sad.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Lies like the stork story are great for making parents feel smarter than their kids, but kids hear the truth from peers regardless, so the benefits are short-lived.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I appreciate you know I am not directing any statements to you.

My kids are great, they are all grown and have no major issues and had no major issues along the road....but at the age of five, if they wanted to ask me "where do babies come from", I would have told them the stork brings them.
At maybe the age of 12 to 16, they would have had a more factual response.

W.C. Fields...(quote), "Children, yes of course I love children, ...specially when they are well done"!

That's why I respect the right for you to raise your children the way you want, so that I can raise mine the way that I want. :) When I was 15, I was working with 4th graders, and they asked me what "sexual abuse was" (they heard the term on the news). After asking them why they wanted to know, I told them to ask their parents, because I respect that parents should be the ones having these discussions with young children.

I went to school with girls who had no idea about the consequences of sex and had babies at 12. That is just sad. I don't know what the right way is to raise kids so that doesn't ever happen, all I know is that it isn't good to have 12 year old girls raising babies.

Chas

One Too Many
Some years ago, when my kid brother was in his pre-teen and early teen years, he used to chum around with a kid whose parents were swingers. Full-on wife-swappers; my bro actually walked in on an orgy in their living room once. The daughter of the family was about 14 or so when he (my brother) heard her mum openly declare that she sincerely hoped that her daughter lost her virginity before she was 16. I don't recall anything about the mum, but I do know that the dad was half-native and was sent to a residential school where the nuns used to watch the little boys bathe, and if they were caught washing their genitals they got a beating. With yard sticks. In addition to that the priests used to visit the kids at night.

Well, all four kids that this couple raised are pretty much functioning members of society. One did jail time, but went straight and stayed on the straight and narrow.

This particular family had their own nuanced view of human sexuality. It worked for them, even though it wasn't the way that most peeps were brought up. You have to be careful about being judgemental in these things. What works for you is not necessarily what works for others, and folks brought up in repressed and overly restrictive homes run the risk of seeing the pendulum swing waaaay in the other direction when the kids become adults.

Last edited:

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Exactly, but the culture doesn't change either talking about this here on a golden era forum.

I was singing Elvis as a kid. There are some adult themes there and I was gyrating. Nobody filmed it, but does that still make my parents awful people?

I don't post on the FL to change the culture; I'm here to discuss it. And what's to say that some people reading this might not consider new ideas? I know I do when I'm on here.

No one said the parents are awful. I said I thought it was a bad parenting decision.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lies like the stork story are great for making parents feel smarter than their kids, but kids hear the truth from peers regardless, so the benefits are short-lived.

No, mainly what kids hear from other kids is utter crud, lies, and half truths. Maybe it is different now with the internet and access to information, but when I went to school most of it was crud. I knew smart women in college who were very misinformed and still believed some of it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
When I was four my mother was pregnant with my sister, and one day she told me there was soon going to be a new baby, and it was inside her, and soon it would come out. I can distinctly remember being quite unimpressed by this information -- she didn't make a big deal of it, she just told me. I didn't think too much about how the baby got in there, I just figured it grew like a wart. I had a stuffed toy dog with a zipper in the belly and little puppies inside, so I wasn't too surprised by the notion of babies coming out of their mother -- I figured there had to be a hidden zipper somewhere. When I was a little older, I found out the real story, and it was -- meh, so what.

The point was, it wasn't presented to me as a Big Deal. There was no dramatic moment of taking me aside and initiating me into the sacred mysteries, it was presented as something no more mysterious than going to the toilet. So I never understood what the big deal was with other kids with all the snickering and whispering and playground speculation -- I knew what it was all about, and wasn't the least bit impressed. I thought the other kids were kind of pathetic, to be honest, for making such a big whoop about bodily functions.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That's why I respect the right for you to raise your children the way you want, so that I can raise mine the way that I want. :) When I was 15, I was working with 4th graders, and they asked me what "sexual abuse was" (they heard the term on the news). After asking them why they wanted to know, I told them to ask their parents, because I respect that parents should be the ones having these discussions with young children.

I went to school with girls who had no idea about the consequences of sex and had babies at 12. That is just sad. I don't know what the right way is to raise kids so that doesn't ever happen, all I know is that it isn't good to have 12 year old girls raising babies.

I think in one way, the issue I would look at regarding a 12 year old having sex and a child...true they may not have known it could result in a baby, but what in the world is a 12 year old having sex to begin with? And, in my view, if a 12 year old is already going to be jumping in bed with someone and having a kid, the pre knowledge of results of becoming pregnant seems redundant.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
When I was four my mother was pregnant with my sister, and one day she told me there was soon going to be a new baby, and it was inside her, and soon it would come out. I can distinctly remember being quite unimpressed by this information -- she didn't make a big deal of it, she just told me. I didn't think too much about how the baby got in there, I just figured it grew like a wart. I had a stuffed toy dog with a zipper in the belly and little puppies inside, so I wasn't too surprised by the notion of babies coming out of their mother -- I figured there had to be a hidden zipper somewhere. When I was a little older, I found out the real story, and it was -- meh, so what.

The point was, it wasn't presented to me as a Big Deal. There was no dramatic moment of taking me aside and initiating me into the sacred mysteries, it was presented as something no more mysterious than going to the toilet. So I never understood what the big deal was with other kids with all the snickering and whispering and playground speculation -- I knew what it was all about, and wasn't the least bit impressed. I thought the other kids were kind of pathetic, to be honest, for making such a big whoop about bodily functions.

I totally agree with each and every single word....and yes, for many of us, when we do learn all about it, geez, it was not a biggie, and for some, (it was for me) I did not really care for girls, they still had "Cooties" as far as it was at that stage of the game.....(of course, later I wanted to know girls....the more the better)!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think in one way, the issue I would look at regarding a 12 year old having sex and a child...true they may not have known it could result in a baby, but what in the world is a 12 year old having sex to begin with? And, in my view, if a 12 year old is already going to be jumping in bed with someone and having a kid, the pre knowledge of results of becoming pregnant seems redundant.

By the time I was twelve I had many times seen cats in the backyard, and I knew what it was all about -- the male has his fun and then runs off and leaves the female stuck with the consequences. It wasn't hard to draw a parallel.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
By the time I was twelve I had many times seen cats in the backyard, and I knew what it was all about -- the male has his fun and then runs off and leaves the female stuck with the consequences. It wasn't hard to draw a parallel.

Well, there you go! In all good humor, I have to say, "Meow".
Yes I think most normal kids can figure it out, and most normal parents can be there to help if need be.

But I also think that far too many parents are like a box of cereal...and the box is even empty at that!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think parents overintellectualize. They forget how to think like a kid, and they present concepts in a way that makes sense to their way of thinking, not in a way a kid can comprehend. And the media is an absolute horror that way -- kids' entertainment is made to appeal to the parents, not actual children. The last adult media figure who understood how to actually communicate with children in a healthy way was Mr. Rogers, and there's no one on the scene today capable of doing what he did. There's no *money* in doing what he did.

If I had kids, I'd sell them to the Comprachios before I'd let them watch modern television or listen to modern music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy