Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

As if we didn't chat about pin curls enough. . .

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
A heavier conditioner or an anti-frizz product might help.

this is great advice. I use an anti-frizz/shine pomade whenever I set my hair. I add the Lottabody and then on top of that I add the pomade. I know one of the other gals here has mentioned using Royal Crown.

Inky

One Too Many
Ditto to what the previous ladies have mentioned. Don't despair and keep practicing. I've found that for looser curls I prefer hot rollers (or if I am in a hurry) used with a modern thermal heat spray.

For pin curls/sponge rollers I also use lottabody and the real key is the brush out. As Lizzie said, it can often take a great deal of brushing to get the right result - and I found that when I brush too much all the curls brush out, so you have to practice.

My best curls come when I do this:

1. lottabody set with larger pin curls
2. I don't use a brush, but use my fingers (with a light coating of pomade - I like Layrite regular strength because it washes out easily). I also like using a metal rake to loosen the curls.
3. If I'd rather have waves than curls, I use my Denman brush for the best results in my brush outs.

My hair is thick, coarse and wavy - I've had many disasters in the last year since I started practicing sets - and the ladies here are invaluable for help!

Keep trying :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=4254&page=15

^ that's what mine looked like and I had a heck of a time getting it wearable.I can't do pin curls without wearing a scarf or headband to make it look ok.

I did them again today and the result it wearable. It (for me at least) Is a hit and miss deal, but the more you practice and get better at the actual positions it gets better! Keep at it!

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I know that if I set my hair when it is too wet, I end up a frizz ball the next day. I wash my hair as usual, condition, apply a setter (I use beer) and allow to air dry for awhile. While my hair is still slightly damp, I then use pillow rollers.

I use my rollers every night...so much so that my spongees are squished.

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
When I first started doing pincurls I thought you were supposed to twist the hair before curling. If you do this you'll get ridiculous hair the next morning. :)

Well this could be the issue. I didn't really twist it before, but while rolling the pin curls up I was twisting. I have zero curling experience, I have always straightened it for managability. Thank you ladies for all of the advice, I think I may just try some rollers or a spiral curler.

Oh also, the brush you use makes a difference?:eek: I just have a cheapie plastic hard brush I have had for years.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
miss_killin said:
Well this could be the issue. I didn't really twist it before, but while rolling the pin curls up I was twisting. I have zero curling experience, I have always straightened it for managability. Thank you ladies for all of the advice, I think I may just try some rollers or a spiral curler.

Oh also, the brush you use makes a difference?:eek: I just have a cheapie plastic hard brush I have had for years.

That was definitely the issue! Do not twist. The hair should lie flat against itself or against the roller, whatever you are using.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
It takes a good bit of brushing out of the curls to get the right kind of wave -- sometimes a *lot* of brushing out. When I first take my pins out, my hair looks exactly as you describe it -- but a five minute session with the brush tames things down and puts the waves where I want them. Don't give up -- you'll get the hang of it.

Exactly! If you are doing your pin curls properly (not twisting the hair strand), you just need to patiently brush your hair smooth with a big paddle bristle brush. Let me demonstrate:

Before brushing
2400775518_186e808aa5.jpg

After brushing a little
2399942609_6744f9c1d3.jpg

After finishing my brushing
2400776164_5baca0d4ff.jpg

miss_killin

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:
Exactly! If you are doing your pin curls properly (not twisting the hair strand), you just need to patiently brush your hair smooth with a big paddle bristle brush. Let me demonstrate:

Before brushing
2400775518_186e808aa5.jpg

After brushing a little
2399942609_6744f9c1d3.jpg

After finishing my brushing
2400776164_5baca0d4ff.jpg

Oh wow, the second picture is pretty much what I looked like, maybe a bit wilder. So to get from pic 2 to 3 all you do is brush with a big round brush? :eusa_doh: That's just amazing, I'll have to try again with a round brush. And pass some of that beauty around would ya?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
miss_killin said:

It definitely makes a difference. I just saw the recommendation for a natural bristle brush, but I have better luck with a plastic bristle brush or a wide toothed comb. If you use a plastic bristle brush, don't use a cheap one though. It's important to have a good hairbrush.

Also, I find it helpful to comb each curl with a wide-toothed comb as I remove the pins or rollers. This helps break up any stiffness from the setting lotion and makes it easier to get your brush through. If you try ripping your brush through hair that is stiff or crunchy still from setting lotion, you'll definitely get frizz.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
miss_killin said:
Oh wow, the second picture is pretty much what I looked like, maybe a bit wilder. So to get from pic 2 to 3 all you do is brush with a big round brush? :eusa_doh: That's just amazing, I'll have to try again with a round brush. And pass some of that beauty around would ya?

Yes, that's basically it! I use this type of Denman brush, and I run my palms over my hair following the brush, to avoid frizz and electricity. There is a scientific explanation for this, something with positive/negative electrical charge (I don't know the exact explanation >.<), running your palm over your hair after your brush alleviates electricity and frizz.

Dream-Hair-0507-1-med.jpg

If your hair can take it (my can't, it's too fine so it gets weighed down), using a pomade afterwards would also make it smooth, like some of the ladies already suggested.

Good luck! :)

Inky

One Too Many
KittyT said:
It definitely makes a difference. I just saw the recommendation for a natural bristle brush, but I have better luck with a plastic bristle brush or a wide toothed comb. If you use a plastic bristle brush, don't use a cheap one though. It's important to have a good hairbrush.

I agree, my plastic bristled Denman give me better results than my natural bristle Mason Pearson (though I have had that brush now nearly 10 years and LOVE it so much, but I only use it before I shampoo now).

Mary

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
I second what Laura Chase says... Keep brushing and while you are doing that, make sure to shape the curls using the brush.

How do you shape them? Do you brush them one at the time? I'll defintly try this out a lot more! After seening you pic it feels possible, Laura lol .

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Laura, I always admire your pics, can I ask a few questions? I am quessing you have relatively thick hair like mine, what do you pin the pincurls with? also, do you follow a pattern? I have so much hair AND it is sooo thick I give up following a design and just place them wherever there is room!

thirdly, I loooove that color, it is almost that shade of red I covet .. sigh..

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Darhling said:
Laura, I always admire your pics, can I ask a few questions? I am quessing you have relatively thick hair like mine, what do you pin the pincurls with? also, do you follow a pattern? I have so much hair AND it is sooo thick I give up following a design and just place them wherever there is room!

thirdly, I loooove that color, it is almost that shade of red I covet .. sigh..

Thank you darling, it's the much coveted Schwarzkopf Live Color, Hypnotic Red, I think, but these photos are old. :)

Actually, my hair isn't thick at all, it's just regular, maybe even on the fine side, but there is a lot of it. My usual setting pattern is this (click for larger):

I pin the curls with pin curl pins (available in most Matas stores). They are like bobby pins but open. Also, for the smaller curls and the ones most likely to get messed up while I'm sleeping (neck and front), I usually use clips. Have a look here, you can see the pin curl pins and the clips:

If your hair is as long as the last time I saw you, plus just as super thick, it might be difficult to have room for it all on top of your head. lol This pattern is for a middy or middy plus.

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
Laura, so gorgeous! And your attention to detail in your curls is inspiring. I would like to ask if you have a model number or description for that fantastic hairbrush. I'm on the Denman site, but I cannot tell which brush you have.

I'm due for a new brush and I love how you show the transformation with brushing out curls!

Laura Chase

One Too Many
DaisieWilde said:
Laura, so gorgeous! And your attention to detail in your curls is inspiring. I would like to ask if you have a model number or description for that fantastic hairbrush. I'm on the Denman site, but I cannot tell which brush you have.

I'm due for a new brush and I love how you show the transformation with brushing out curls!

I'm sorry, I don't know which model it is, it doesn't say on the brush, it was a brush I found in my friend's apartment (he doesn't have any hair and I needed a Denman, so I took it! lol).

It's not essential that you get the exact same brush, I actually think it kinda hurts my scalp a little. Just get the brush you feel will fluff your curls the best without brushing them out. I use natural bristle, but I see some of the ladies prefer plastic, so it's whatever you prefer. However, I think you would want a brush with the little air pillow at the base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic