Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

barnabus

One Too Many
How would you go about giving some water resistance to unlined cotton?

I have some 100% cotton coveralls that I bought ages ago for decorating and for work on the house, that would be superb as a worry-free over-later for riding if they had a degree of waterproofing.

I suspect waxing them would be a nightmare and if end up with as much wax inside on the rest of my clothes as I would on the outside keeping the rain out.

Is there a spray treatment you'd recommend, maybe?

Al 916

One Too Many
I don’t think it’s Connolly, but it does look nice. Maybe @Hide'n'seek can chime in.
A ThunderBay labeled Cafe Racer (Connolly?)

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Anyone have a date in mind? (I was thinking 80's? seeing the ThunderBay label is interesting)

Bought from a Lounger indirectly.
It has some issues (however it has the correct measures with 23" arms). I like the graining, Connolly or not I am going to have fun making it right (for me).

Might be with me Wednesday

Attachments

• s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Diamond quilted - Was this feature on any pre-war jackets? If so, what brand? American brands only, not including any UK/German brands.

pattyb95

New in Town
New to the world of leather jackets and dove in head first with this second hand lost worlds jacket. Don't know much about the particular jacket but it seems like it was worn a little bit and then stored away for ~20 years. Does anybody know what these white spots might be? I went over them with a wet cloth lightly but it didn't seem to do anything? Sign of dryness maybe?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20231030_182758.jpg
    IMG_20231030_182758.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20231030_183538.jpg
    IMG_20231030_183538.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 60
Like Bluechel said try a cleaner. If its bloom or spew it may come back after a good cleaning. I’ve used Leather Master Spew Remover and it’s effective. Never came back.

Bluechel

Practically Family
Thanks @Bluechel + @JMax. Saddle soap and a bit of water/white vinegar solution seemed to help some but I'll try that Spew Remover to hopefully get rid of it fully.
It's not gonna be a bad one I'm thinking. But...in order to identify it as spew, you should run a hair dryer at it, and if it's spew it will melt away, if it's not it will stay the same. Therefore the spew remover will be unnecessary and ineffective. Clyde's makes a wonderful spot cover for blending light areas back into the jacket (matching color of course). Apply in a circular motion and let dry, a little goes a long way.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Pre war Topline. is This it?

View attachment 556612
Nice Topline, they're really great.

I was thinking about padded motorcycle jackets with the diamond quilted pads. I know Lewis had them in their early jackets, but I hardly see a vintage jacket with padded shoulder or back or elbows. The only ones that comes to mind is the Langlitz stuff. I was wondering if any body else did them in the pre war years. Come to think of it I don't see padded jackets in the catalogue either. Is it safe to assume this is a post war feature or something else?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
New to the world of leather jackets and dove in head first with this second hand lost worlds jacket. Don't know much about the particular jacket but it seems like it was worn a little bit and then stored away for ~20 years. Does anybody know what these white spots might be? I went over them with a wet cloth lightly but it didn't seem to do anything? Sign of dryness maybe?
Thanks
Like what others said, just wipe clean and wear. Just the conditioning or other stuffing coming to the surface. Even new-ish CXL does this. It is not mold, don't worry. You can't mistake mold, it smells, has hairy texture and is much bigger than the small spews. A quick horsehair brush works too. They tend to come out for a bit and then no more. Once the jacket climatize to its new setting everything will be just fine.

Al 916

One Too Many
Lewis Leathers Viscount (I will have to move soon).

20230919_122213.jpg

Nice Topline, they're really great.

I was thinking about padded motorcycle jackets with the diamond quilted pads. I know Lewis had them in their early jackets, but I hardly see a vintage jacket with padded shoulder or back or elbows. The only ones that comes to mind is the Langlitz stuff. I was wondering if any body else did them in the pre war years. Come to think of it I don't see padded jackets in the catalogue either. Is it safe to assume this is a post war feature or something else?

Al 916

One Too Many
Will the jacket gods smite me for putting this absurdly heavy cal in the wash? It smells like maple syrup and needs to be broken in more to be wearable. Even though it’s vintage it’s still stiff as heck. View attachment 556846
My process on a washing machine (Model A so not this vintage) is at the bottom of this page https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/why-should-i-buy-a-vanson.104065/page-16

Quite a few threads on this subject (I used the bits of others to match my situ.)

Vintage wise I am sure others will contribute. but looks pretty good and solid to me - Great jacket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff