Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions on what kind of foam, thickness, width, length, where to buy?
Thanks again!

Joann Fabric sells foam in different thickness - there may be other sources near you. I have purchased foam about 1/2" thick and cut it into strips about 3" wide. I bring the end of the strips together and put in two staples to attach them. So the stapled end extends out, keeping the staples from touching the hat. I usually put this end towards the back of the hat. This is just how I've done it - there might be a better way. You can see the strips in use on my hat shelves in the photo below.

hatroom062319.jpg

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Do hatmakers use a different felt in Europe (probably) that is "better"?
I ask because I got swatches from Gannon and swatches from Hornskov and Hornskov's felt seems to be higher quality, like the raw material. It's so so soft and velvety and perfectly pounced, no "hairiness" or unevenness. It seems more dense.

I ask because I got swatches from Gannon and swatches from Hornskov and Hornskov's felt seems to be higher quality, like the raw material. It's so so soft and velvety and perfectly pounced, no "hairiness" or unevenness. It seems more dense.
Tonak out of Czech Republic is a standard felt used by European hatters. Some also may have access to FEPSA out of Portugal but it is harder to obtain as they have very high minimum orders that eliminates most small custom hatters. I have a stock Tonak as well as two customs and although it is just rabbit felt I love the hand of it. It makes for a soft hand and the colours are very vibrant. I have two of the FEPSA rabbit felt hats and the quality is good but of the two I prefer Tonak. Check with DeadlyHandsome as I think he has a Hornskov hat. Comparing Winchester rabbit to Tonak and Fepsa I think the Winchester comes out third.....makes a decent hat but the European felt are softer/more luxurious and make a better hat.

One big consideration and the deal breaker for me around using European hatters is the cost of shipping from Europe. Check first so you avoid the shock. Also if there is an issue with the hat sending it back for adjustment is pretty much a nogo once you factor in the shipping back and forth.

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
One big consideration and the deal breaker for me around using European hatters is the cost of shipping from Europe. Check first so you avoid the shock. Also if there is an issue with the hat sending it back for adjustment is pretty much a nogo once you factor in the shipping back and forth.

Hornskov included free shipping but I am worried about the duties and taxes (Canada) He says he never heard anything about this but I kind of doubt that a Canadian consumer will take the time to write to the hatter and let them know, also unless it was discussed it would be a strange thing to mention.

Well from the swatches which included wool, rabbit blend, 100% beaver, they were all nice and the rabbit blend was very very nice but the beaver 100% was only about 100$ more so it wasn't bad, but they were both so so nice to touch. So at least it's possible but it would cost more, if only for the duties and taxes because I can avoid those (I think) with an American hat maker.

Hornskov doesn't have an extensive set of colors to choose from, the colors do look very rich but surprisingly not a lot of neutrals to choose from. He seems to have about 6-7 different colors at a time and does run out of certain colors so he probably does batch orders. Shame N.A. hatters can't get their hands on that, it really is night and day. I did start conversations with Hornskov but then he stopped responding (including follow ups) so I didn't continue with him.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 4.17.10 PM.png

Last edited:
Hornskov included free shipping but I am worried about the duties and taxes (Canada) He says he never heard anything about this but I kind of doubt that a Canadian consumer will take the time to write to the hatter and let them know, also unless it was discussed it would be a strange thing to mention.

Well from the swatches which included wool, rabbit blend, 100% beaver, they were all nice and the rabbit blend was very very nice but the beaver 100% was only about 100$ more so it wasn't bad, but they were both so so nice to touch. So at least it's possible but it would cost more, if only for the duties and taxes because I can avoid those (I think) with an American hat maker.

Hornskov doesn't have an extensive set of colors to choose from, the colors do look very rich but surprisingly not a lot of neutrals to choose from. He seems to have about 6-7 different colors at a time and does run out of certain colors so he probably does batch orders. Shame N.A. hatters can't get their hands on that, it really is night and day. I did start conversations with Hornskov but then he stopped responding (including follow ups) so I didn't continue with him.

View attachment 174708
Canada does have a free trade agreement with the EU. My hats from Europe came through the Post Office and came directly to my house,.....no duties or taxes.

well if that's a FEPSA I'd love to get my hands on a TONAK then those most be velvety smooth. Wonder how they fair compared to vintages

I have several Tonak custom rabbit fur felt hats and one FEPSA rabbit and hare blend custom. I’d take a Winchester beaver over any of them; they’re denser, smoother, and more durable. Now a FEPSA beaver or beaver blend might be something altogether different. I also have a European 100% hare on order, and I’m curious as to it’s qualities. I have a custom nutria fur felt on the block right now and that felt has a lovely hand, but it isn’t what you’d call lightweight. If you value softness over other qualities you should look at something with a suede finish.

I’ve yet to hear from someone who wasn’t happy with a custom beaver from Gannon, but there are lots of other hatters too. You might check out Hufvud for a beaver or beaver blend custom hat...I think they’re FEPSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JessieJames

One of the Regulars
Canada does have a free trade agreement with the EU. My hats from Europe came through the Post Office and came directly to my house,.....no duties or taxes.
Really? I remember looking and seeing we did have trade agreement with Europe but it was only a few countries and Denmark, where hornskov is located, was not one of them

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Joann Fabric sells foam in different thickness - there may be other sources near you. I have purchased foam about 1/2" thick and cut it into strips about 3" wide. I bring the end of the strips together and put in two staples to attach them. So the stapled end extends out, keeping the staples from touching the hat. I usually put this end towards the back of the hat. This is just how I've done it - there might be a better way. You can see the strips in use on my hat shelves in the photo below.

View attachment 174425
Strips of bubble wrap might work. More of that coming all the time!

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
A Stetson Royal De Luxe arrived yesterday. The seller called it grey, but my lying eyes see a blue, and it has a dark blue vinyl hatband that has to go, unless some collector snatches it out of my hands first.
Vinyl? On a Stetson?
It's a velour hat, and I realized velours have hatband treatments I don't care for a lot. I can't even remember one beyond a shadow of a doubt with Grosgrain.
Is it Verbotten or something?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Really? I remember looking and seeing we did have trade agreement with Europe but it was only a few countries and Denmark, where hornskov is located, was not one of them
If you google CETA and Denmark it shows Denmark as one of the signatories of the agreement. I have purchased hats from Belgium and Italy and they both came straight through via Post Office direct to my door. That is a bit of a crap shoot as the Post Office seems to pick packages at random and charge taxes based on the valuation written. The postage from Belgium was close to $60

Robieman

A-List Customer
I realize this is not a good pic. I can't tell if the cover is the oil skin or the clear plastic. I can tell you the liner seam is on the side. This particular hat has the keyhole manila size tag, and the crest on the sweat band has the stars in it. This is all the info I have at this time. I will tell you I just purchased this hat, and once it arrives, I will check it out better & post more pics. I have looked thru the liner thread, and not really finding anything concrete about this liner. So, I'm wondering if this may be an earlier version of this liner. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
XXXLINER.jpg

I realize this is not a good pic. I can't tell if the cover is the oil skin or the clear plastic. I can tell you the liner seam is on the side. This particular hat has the keyhole manila size tag, and the crest on the sweat band has the stars in it. This is all the info I have at this time. I will tell you I just purchased this hat, and once it arrives, I will check it out better & post more pics. I have looked thru the liner thread, and not really finding anything concrete about this liner. So, I'm wondering if this may be an earlier version of this liner. If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.
View attachment 174921
Looks like oilskin and with the "Beaver" on it indicates it is an early one....those are scarce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters