Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
It could be, as I have noticed the same thing, but then again, I think in some of the old pictures you see, they are posing for the picture, and because they are posing, people will often kick their hat back, so as not to shade the face and eyes, or give their hat some other jaunty slant of some kind. But wait till they get out in the wind, and they will probably pull that hat back down, to keep from chasing it.

On another note, I have noticed that the western hats from the days of my youth, were often taller crowned then the Rodeo hat of today, which usually has the low 4 inch tall cattleman's crease, much to my agrivation when I am trying to buy one because the shape of my head, is such that I just plain can't wear a really low crowned hat, but it seems to be very popular today in the western wear stores.

Even I might raise a hat up for a picture, but in the real world, I want it down on my forehead, so it feels secure, but that's just me. Sorry, I might have drifted from your subject.

You maybe right, though. Since Crown styles have often changed, maybe how low or high they are on the average head also changes for the sake of style.

In terms of derbies, the ads in my library suggest that wearing derbies high on the head was popular from around the turn of the century to around 1913ish. At that point, the derbies seemed to fall further down near the ears. It's discussed a little here.

The recent Hawes thread also illustrates the fashion in the early part of the century.

Compare the looks in those ads to these, from 1918 and 1919.
mallory1918-3.jpg

Mallory1919.jpg

There were certainly hats worn low prior to the mid-teens, and there were certainly hats worn high after that. It's in that area, however, that I see a change in the ads.

So the smiling fellow on the right with the girl on his arm obviously has the Mallory. The forlorn chap on the left has the cheap-o knockoff. See, a hundred years ago, having the "right" hat meant something!

coquie

New in Town
Hi everyone this is my first post!....here is a mystery hat (at least it is to me?) made by Knox. I am fairly certain it is 19th century, or maybe early 20th century It is brown...silk hatters plush, broad brim and moderately high dome crown. Wide gross grain ribbon band. Black silk lining, Knox gold stamped logo inside. I am from Massachusetts (if locale helps). The only thing I can conjure is that it might be a clerical hat of some sort?? Sort of looks like the Amish style, only I do not think they wore brown silk plush. Brim is 3" deep, crown 4" high, hat is 15" front to back and 12" side to side.

409ax.jpg

409b.jpg

409e.jpg

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO YOUR SITE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It looks to me like it might have originally been black, but has faded over the years. I would say it is a gaucho style hat, but others know more about it.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge, coquie. We've seen a few of these over the years, most by Knox, but here's one by Dobbs. We've reached the conclusion that these were women's hats. I don't know that we've ever discovered the name for this style of hat.

Brad

new2hats

A-List Customer
What is the best overall travel hat to the pacific islands? The flights are long so something crushable or able to turn into a pillow would be great (a linen/cotten type?). Also when I get there it will be hot so something lightweight and breathable (panama-like hat)? Does anyone who travelled to the pacific islands have any suggestions/anecdotes about hats they've worn there?

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
A difficult one to search, because the term is everywhere, but a real newbie question: What does "reblocking" a hat implies exactly?
Does it shape the crown (assuming it is an open crown, or a different style) in a more permanent way? What will a pro do that an layman won't (apart from knowing what they're about, obviously :rolleyes: )

How does one go and buy a block suitable for one's head? somewhere to put a damp hat to stop it from shrinking?

T Rick

Practically Family
Easy question (I think!). Is a "porkpie" always round? I sort of thought so, and yet this stingy brim Champ I snagged on the 'bay to me just screams porkpie (I liked the ribbon, thought I'd try something "different" yet again).

What say you, pie, or no pie?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They don't have to be perfectly round, but it's the telescopic crown that makes for the pie. There are a few in the pork pie thread that look more like shallow versions of various fedora creases, but that's just opinion.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
If you're worried about shrinkage, get a stretcher. Blocking is a bit more involved. You can find vintage tools on ebay every now and then. New tools can be found on ebay, etsy, and the web - mostly by the same guy(s?).

A difficult one to search, because the term is everywhere, but a real newbie question: What does "reblocking" a hat implies exactly?
Does it shape the crown (assuming it is an open crown, or a different style) in a more permanent way? What will a pro do that an layman won't (apart from knowing what they're about, obviously :rolleyes: )

How does one go and buy a block suitable for one's head? somewhere to put a damp hat to stop it from shrinking?

HatsEnough

Banned
Was the "Stetson Three-Way" an actual model? Or was it just a Whippet-styled Stetson De Luxe in a special sales-oriented box? In other words, was there a "Stetson Three-Way" hat with the words imprinted on the sweat or somehow printed on the liner?

JAVIER

Practically Family
Bump

Any information on this brand, I searched but could not find much on the FL or Google... help :)

I picked this one up http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...dl54icU%3D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

click to enlarge pics

A couple pics of incoming conditions, and a couple after a brushing with a shoe brush (worked wonders) has a little smoky smell (advise) of eliminating that welcomed, and one pic of the inside of hat (liner has a few sweat stains but I really do not want to replace and do not want to risk hurting that hat.

Goodguyneighbor

New in Town
Kennedy's Panama

Picked up this old panama the other day from a guy who was selling some estate items. Anyone know anything about its age and history? I'm assuming the Kennedy's sweatband must be a reference to JFK, early 60s. Looks like it was hardly ever worn and sat in a box it's entire life. I love the shape and golden patina. It's a size 7 with a 2 7/8" brim.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Was the "Stetson Three-Way" an actual model? Or was it just a Whippet-styled Stetson De Luxe in a special sales-oriented box? In other words, was there a "Stetson Three-Way" hat with the words imprinted on the sweat or somehow printed on the liner?

It's a model, and was specifically marked. I can't seem to find a liner/sweat shot, though I'm pretty sure I've got one.
sticker from the box
various3.jpg

41 ad
stetson1941.jpg

from this thread
StetsonWhippet12.jpg

Here we go. from one of Dinerman's blogs (found by Google)
IMG_4281.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

IMG_4282.jpg

Picked up this old panama the other day from a guy who was selling some estate items. Anyone know anything about its age and history? I'm assuming the Kennedy's sweatband must be a reference to JFK, early 60s. Looks like it was hardly ever worn and sat in a box it's entire life. I love the shape and golden patina. It's a size 7 with a 2 7/8" brim.

It's almost certainly the store where the hat was sold, and has nothing to do with JFK.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters