Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I've got an OR that has the same effect & was wondering if over time the sweatband had somehow effected the felt fading.
I have a vintage Borso that looks to have been on a hanger with one side exposed to sunlight more than the other....

I know I've seen speculation in older threads that the sweatband has outgassed because of chemicals used in the tanning process. Might be more prominent on hats that have stayed enclosed in a box for longer periods of time.

Mike, does that sweat have one of the "plastic" moisture barriers behind it?

B

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I know I've seen speculation in older threads that the sweatband has outgassed because of chemicals used in the tanning process. Might be more prominent on hats that have stayed enclosed in a box for longer periods of time.

Mike, does that sweat have one of the "plastic" moisture barriers behind it?

B
I'm pretty sure it doesn't but I'll check when I get home. I have personally seen this on two stratoliners and one open road for what that's worth. Any thoughts on a remedy or should I chalk it up to "character"? I'd hate to put a wide ribbon on a strat.

Outgassing! That's a popular topic on my astronomy forums... nice to see it here too.

Does the interior of the hat show the same fading? I have a faded ring on an early 40s Stetson Vitafelt, but it is the crown of the hat that has faded. Assumed it was a reaction from the sweatband of a hat stacked on top of it. I suspect this will be difficult to remedy. You might send an email to Optimo with a photo to get their opinion.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Outgassing! That's a popular topic on my astronomy forums... nice to see it here too.

Does the interior of the hat show the same fading? I have a faded ring on an early 40s Stetson Vitafelt, but it is the crown of the hat that has faded. Assumed it was a reaction from the sweatband of a hat stacked on top of it. I suspect this will be difficult to remedy. You might send an email to Optimo with a photo to get their opinion.
I'll double check that when I get home also. I can't imagine there is much that can be done to get the felt to match perfectly. It is a little exaggerated in the pic because that hat is still damp from some shaping. This one is a little tight on me anyway, so rather than try to fit a square peg into a round hole I think I will try to pass this one on and let it be somebody elses project.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Rodkins; No help in why. Here is how I solved "my staining problems" with an early 50's strat.

My silverbelly Strat. had a bit of staining between that small line between the ribbon and brim. For the life of me I could not understand how it came to be as the hat was truly very minty. I checked with a magnifing glass and could not decifer what was the cause. I did see dirt particulates and color stain. I presumed that it could be some kind of soil. On that note, I screen sprayed hairspray (screened with some tagboard just wide enough to let a small stream of spray thru) just below the ribbon. This light spray I tried not to let touch the ribbon. I then used gymnasts chaulk, (magnesium carbonate that is completely neutral chaulk and very fine particulate) and rubbed it into the hair spray. I let it stay until very dry and then brushed it out. Much of my staining came out. I cleaned with white gas, you can see the documentation on the Vintage Strat thread, and the hat came out perfect. Not a stain remaining. Not a trace.

I do not know if this is a similar situation. I hope so, as it really worked for me.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Rodkins; No help in why. Here is how I solved "my staining problems" with an early 50's strat.

My silverbelly Strat. had a bit of staining between that small line between the ribbon and brim. For the life of me I could not understand how it came to be as the hat was truly very minty. I checked with a magnifing glass and could not decifer what was the cause. I did see dirt particulates and color stain. I presumed that it could be some kind of soil. On that note, I screen sprayed hairspray (screened with some tagboard just wide enough to let a small stream of spray thru) just below the ribbon. This light spray I tried not to let touch the ribbon. I then used gymnasts chaulk, (magnesium carbonate that is completely neutral chaulk and very fine particulate) and rubbed it into the hair spray. I let it stay until very dry and then brushed it out. Much of my staining came out. I cleaned with white gas, you can see the documentation on the Vintage Strat thread, and the hat came out perfect. Not a stain remaining. Not a trace.

I do not know if this is a similar situation. I hope so, as it really worked for me.

Best, Eric -
That's great info to know! Thanks, Eric. I'm afraid that probably won't help this problem as I think this is almost more of a fading or bleaching of the color rather than a deposit. I'll keep your method in mind for my dirty ones, though. I know I have some to try it out on.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric, what led you to use hairspray?

B

Buler; My dry cleaner budy suggested doing it for some ground in dirt on a suede leather blazer I own. The advise included getting hairspray that sprayed very finely, dryed quickly and lacked scent. It worked on the leather suede. Aditionally it worked when I needed to pull wood ashes out of a fur pelt formerly located on a wall near a wood bin in the great room. It worked on the hat felt great. I believe it to be conditional. By that I mean that it pulled the fine particulates out well. Stains - I doubt. Eric -

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
1028247569_6cc6c63875_o.jpg

Last edited:

MikePotts

Practically Family
Oh yeah...........so called "Durable Packing INTERNATIONAL" of "ILLINOIS"....like they're not part of the program:eeek:

MP

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn