Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mystic

Practically Family
The top liner is definitely older. The Byer-Rolnick firm was founded in 1927. Before that it was just Harry Rolnick by himself. I don't think that necessarily makes the top liner pre-1927 though. They may have just put Rolnick's name on the hats initially because he was the hat maker and Byer was the money guy.

The bottom liner looks to be from the 1960's to me.

Thanks Landman,

I noticed the 'BR' in the shield at the top of logo, this would put this liner during the Byer-Rolnick time frame while utilizing Harry's name.

Does the type of liner cover of the first photo, not clear plastic, have any thing to do with the dating of this liner design?

An additional thought about the first liner. What time frame did Resistol begin using the 'Kitten Finish' logo? and what additional value does a 'Kitten Finish' have on a Resistol today?

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
I didn't see the BR logo. So yes, that would make it post 1927. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of your other questions.

I do have a Resistol San Antonio with a liner similar to the bottom picture. Based on my research in the Resistol thread I think it was made in the mid 60's.

Mystic

Practically Family
I didn't see the BR logo. So yes, that would make it post 1927. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to any of your other questions.

I do have a Resistol San Antonio with a liner similar to the bottom picture. Based on my research in the Resistol thread I think it was made in the mid 60's.

I'm beginning to think the bottom liner or one with very minor variations was used for quite a long time.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Mallory by Stetson"

Were all the "Mallory by Stetson" branded hats wool?

I thought they continued as fur felt for sometime following Stetson's acquisition.

Thanks.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
I bought a hat with a strange brim. It is folded under and sewn on under the sweat. So the brim is two layers of felt. What is this treatment called and would it be possible to unfold it and maybe iron it to get a little more brim (as it is extremely stingy)? The hat is a Knox Jaguar.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I bought a hat with a strange brim. It is folded under and sewn on under the sweat. So the brim is two layers of felt. What is this treatment called and would it be possible to unfold it and maybe iron it to get a little more brim (as it is extremely stingy)? The hat is a Knox Jaguar.

Pics, please? :)

Never seen a brim like the one you're describing... [huh]

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like the Knox version of the Dobbs Double Life, which has the same double brim treatment. That would be my guess. I could do some searching, but they're probably contemporary to each other.

Edit: I did search for it, and the Jaguar and Double Life are the same hat. Same life span, 1956 or so to 1970, look the same in advertisements, touting the same features.

Brad

Last edited:

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Thanks, brad.
Here are some pics, Rabbit.
2012-10-08082132.jpg

2012-10-08082211.jpg

Greenhat_zps5d7a9607.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Hey Fellas -

Still looking for information regarding this wonderful hard top bowler - any takers?

It's a fairly modern Bowler, that's all that can be said about it. The flanging says later than late 60s or much more recent to me; the liner crest (sheen of the gold imprint, font type) looks very recent, too. I have yet to see an earlier hat of any U.S. maker stating "made in USA".

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Has anybody heard from Chief lately? I shot him a PM a few weeks ago, but didn't hear back, and I haven't seen any posts from him in a while. I knew he had a heart condition a few months back. Was wondering if he was okay.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I messaged him the other day with the same concerns. He lives only 35 miles away, I could look him up but that would probably be intruding. I hope all is well.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
B55419?...Is a production number, that number will also be stamped on the back of the sweatband. When that piece of felt went to the finishing dept. it would be mated up with the same numbered sweatband, which was already made to size, had the retailer's name and all other info.

I'd like to see a complete photo of the other stamp, but it had blocking info on it.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I will try. But I am weary on moving the sweat, as it pops the stitching in the hat.

Another question is, how can you tell if a Vintage Sweatband is in need of conditioning or a replacement. This one has give to it, like my modern Borsalino, but it is on the stiffer side.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If a sweatband on a vintage hat is ugly or in bad condition I replace it, unless I want it there for historical value, for fun. I bought an old Stetson that looks like a hillbilly hat, whose markings and cracked sweatband look plenty older than other more recent Stetsons I have. I am confident it's from no later than the 40s, and probably earlier, maybe the twenties or teens. So I'm leaving it for the connection to the old days. Reminds me of the year I voted for Calvin Coolidge. But apart from that, I replace them if they need it, and don't think twice about it.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thats the problem. This band looks to be fine, and is only stiff towards the stitching. I can't open it all the way out (I don't wan't to tear the stitching on it). BUT, there seem to be small tears or cracks, as shown in the photo I just took. What would ya'll recommend doing? Conditioning the sweat (recommend me some products), or just get the sweat replaced?

00916.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183