Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Charles_Company

New in Town
Also could anyone tell me how to add my own avatar for my profile pic. I have checked out the FAQ but I cant find the user CP I am meant to click on anywhere on the page so I thought I would ask. Thanks :D

Also could anyone tell me how to add my own avatar for my profile pic. I have checked out the FAQ but I cant find the user CP I am meant to click on anywhere on the page so I thought I would ask. Thanks :D
In the upper-right corner of every page you'll see a set of links that say "Notifications", "My Profile", "Settings", and, of course, "Log Out". Click "Settings", and there will be a menu on the left side of the page. Scroll down to "Edit Avatar"; when the new page loads, click the "Use Custom Avatar" button and follow the instructions to upload an image from your computer or URL.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Emboldened by Charles' non hat question, can anyone help? Whenever I try to use the search facility, I get the Nattyshirt Company come up. Whilst adverts are essential to the financing of The Lounge, it is frustrating when trying to find something, or, prevent duplicating something that has already been around. Is this something that I may have inadvertantly been responsible for, I am not exactly computer savvy.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You can use Google's advanced search. Write "Portis hats site:thefedoralounge.com" in the field - and you will only get results from pages on the site. Very effective ;)

hipcheck

New in Town
Suggestions for winter hat to wear with Aero leather jacket

I wanted to get some input on a warm winter hat to wear with my Aero brown jacket that would look good.

I want to restore old hats. What tools/supplies do I need? Thanks

Interesting first post, TheHat.

You can find the answer on this site, but there's always more to know, most of which is learned through trial and error, with the emphasis on error.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, though. But know that just saying you'll need blocks and flanges and a flange stand and probably a rounding jack and a foot tolliker and a runner downer (yes, that's what it's called) and a puller downer (ditto) and miscellaneous materials doesn't begin to tell the story. Many of the blocks out there might be all but useless to you. Same with flanges. And there's ribbon and then there's ribbon. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

So start out by spending several hours perusing the threads here. Then get some beater hats that will be no great loss should your attempts at restoration turn out less than satisfactory. But hey, those beaters might well turn out much better than they were, and those minor victories just may supply the encouragement to carry on.

Last edited:

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
How would you guys go about shrink a hat slightly? I have a fed 4 heritage fawn and I have been wearing it for the past 2 weeks. I have quite a bit of sizing tape inside and in a pretty ok wind I feel like I might loose my hat. Every other day felt fine but today has been a little windy.

I purchased from a fellow hatter on the forum a size 60 and I measured myself many times an concluded I was a size 59.3. To my knowledge fed 4s run a little small but I wanted to shrink it slightly more.

I was wondering getting a spray bottle of salt water and lightly misting the leather band.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
There are methods discussed here, none of which I've ever had any success with. Wetting the sweatband and letting the hat sit on a lamp is one method, but it has not worked for me. Sizing foam or paper or felt strips under the sweatband is another idea, which I don't really like personally. I've had success leaving my hat in a hot car, but within a day or so it seems to have bounced back to size. Once I left a hat sitting atop a boiling pot of water, and accidentally shrunk and completely shriveled a sweatband, to my dismay. I'd just send it to a hatter for resizing.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I was wondering getting a spray bottle of salt water and lightly misting the leather band.
NO salt water! Use distilled water.
Wet the back of the sweatband & leave the hat inside a car in the sun of Miami for a couple of hours...that may shrink it more than you need.
Wet it then set the hat on a lampshade with a good 75watt+ bulb. Check it periodically till it fits like you want then wear it until totally dry.
YRMV...

Must've been typing same time as Bowlerman!!!

Last edited:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer

Can anyone give me any information on this hat that I picked up this morning? I am assuming it to be a Beaver Brand by the logo but neither that hat nor the box says that. The sweat is imprinted with a store name and the words 100% pure beaver fur while the box adds the words clear beaver. thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic