Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
of course ... and if it a touch snug I can always sand it down a touch

it just looks so nice and straight that I couldn't leave it there

Y'know, I was going to give you crap about "ruining a perfectly good 7 1/4 block."

But then I went out and bought a band block today that I'm going to have to sand down to suit me.

So I'll just be sitting quietly over here, not saying anything more. :rolleyes:

RJR

Y'know, I was going to give you crap about "ruining a perfectly good 7 1/4 block."

But then I went out and bought a band block today that I'm going to have to sand down to suit me.

So I'll just be sitting quietly over here, not saying anything more. :rolleyes:
Can't imagine doing that to a good block,wink,wink :D .

OMEL

New in Town
2015-12-27 19.46.17.jpg
2015-12-27 19.46.48.jpg
I have a custom zebra wood hat that was gifted to me. It does not fit and wanted to sell it. Can anyone appaise this. Thanks

M. O'Connor

New in Town
a Question if I may; Is there a way to verify the quality and percentage of Beaver felt in a felt hat?

I recently purchased a custom-made M1902 Campaign Hat to be made of 100% Beaver felt from thelastbestwest.com. The hat looks like, and feels like it's 100% Beaver felt. However, because of the high cost of Beaver, is there a sure way one can confirm that a hat is in fact 100% Beaver?

Any help in answering, would be greatly Appreciated.

with my Thanks, M. O'Connor

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
No, it is not possible do determine if a felt is 100%, 99%, 50% beaver. The finish can be misleading.
If it was possible, replicating a vintage felt would be possible.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You would have to perform a DNA-test to determine the content. Beaver felt is not that expensive. The difference between a 100% beaver felt body and a good one in rabbit, hare or rabbit/hare blend is less than $20.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Hello

I want a dark non dressy hat and I am torn between the Banjo Paterson in Graphite Gray and the Coober Pedy in Black.

Which one would you buy and why?

Thanks for the feedback !

Sincerely.

Rodolfo

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

a Question if I may; Is there a way to verify the quality and percentage of Beaver felt in a felt hat?

I recently purchased a custom-made M1902 Campaign Hat to be made of 100% Beaver felt from thelastbestwest.com. The hat looks like, and feels like it's 100% Beaver felt. However, because of the high cost of Beaver, is there a sure way one can confirm that a hat is in fact 100% Beaver?

Any help in answering, would be greatly Appreciated.

with my Thanks, M. O'Connor
A microscopic view, if you had baseline for beaver fur fibers & bunny ones, could help. Beaver fibers will be more barbed & you take samples from inside the crown. Just an idea...

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
And yet you would need a lot of samples (and a lot of work) from a felt to determine it's composition.
Imagine on a 50/50 bunny/beaver felt and with 20 samples you get only 1 beaver and 19 bunny fur.

Very small samples from various areas of the hat would do well to suffice for a statistical extrapolation. Especially if the ratios remained somewhat constant over the sample areas.

M. O'Connor

New in Town
my Thanks to All who offered advice on the way to gauge the Beaver felt quality and % of a custom-made campaign hat I had purchased.
a follow-up question if I may;

Have any of You heard or read reviews of or have had any direct experience with custom-made hats made by the HatMakers at thelastbestwest.com?

Regards, M

viclip

Practically Family
Has anyone ever seen "Biltmore-Stetson" stamped on a sweatband before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/stetson-/201495503876?hash=item2eea116404:g:LCQAAOSwHaBWiBDf

Somewhere I picked up that after Stetson closed their Canadian plant, Biltmore (then still Canadian) was licensed to produce Canadian Stetsons. I don't recall the relevant years off the top of my head.

Pity the size is only 7, way too small for me. I'd kind of like to acquire a Mountie hat to walk around in, what a conversation piece that would be.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up

viclip

Practically Family
Has anyone ever seen "Biltmore-Stetson" stamped on a sweatband before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/stetson-/201495503876?hash=item2eea116404:g:LCQAAOSwHaBWiBDf

Here's a blurb that I saved which indicates that between 1982 & 1987 Stetson US owned the shares of Biltmore Canada. This explains the Biltmore-Stetson stamp. Regrettably for some reason I saved the info in .txt format & no longer recall the source of this; but I must have thought it reliable at the time ~

Attachments

• Stetson Canada.txt
    707 bytes · Views: 150
I have a Stetson 3X Mode Edge, 60's I think. I can see what it is but what is the significance of the Mode Edge? I did a search but only found posts to other hats; no discussion of the edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner