Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Good you have a Stretcher , but Over Stretch and steam the sides , that will get the LO back in , then after being too big , in an hour or two it'll be perfect after shrinking down . It just happens , then when you're not wearing it keep the stretcher/retainer in , just in there , not stretching , to retain that Oval and size , but if it measures the right size , just use a stretcher and steam to get the oval back in . I had a Resistol that shruck and the LO came out too , I stretched and steamed , it seemed too big , but in a hour or so it was perfect .
Important note: If you're a say 7-1/4 LO, don't look for a stretcher marked 7-1/4! It'll be way too wide. Look for one, marked between 6-3/4 and 7 ;)

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Important note: If you're a say 7-1/4 LO, don't look for a stretcher marked 7-1/4! It'll be way too wide. Look for one, marked between 6-3/4 and 7 ;)

I bought a wood stretcher off Amazon and noticed exactly that. The back was fine, but the front was way too wide. I narrowed it with a saw and then rasped it back into shape. It fits my everyday hat to a T, so hopefully it'll get this one back into shape.

...The Federation IV looks like they took everyone's expectations of a fedora and distilled them down to a well-balanced design...
I've expressed similar thoughts in a few threads here. Akubra and Hats Direct/The Hattery shy away from stating the Fed IV is their version of the hat(s) worn by Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones movies, but that's essentially what they are--a relatively simple "everyman" hat with classic fedora styling. As much as I like my Campdrafts, the Fed IV just has that "special something" and it's currently my favorite mass-produced hat.

...And thank you for the Newsboy link. I am simply going ahead to order the extra full cut. No snaps! I can push it around to my style.
I like Hat People's caps myself, and I have a few of them, but there are more than a few members here who prefer flat caps from other manufacturers. As a general rule, Hat People doesn't use snaps or stitching or any other method of attaching their caps' crowns to the brims; I don't know if they even offer that as a special request, because I've never asked. They're well-made caps, especially for their asking price, and that's good enough for my simple tastes.

RJR

I've expressed similar thoughts in a few threads here. Akubra and Hats Direct/The Hattery shy away from stating the Fed IV is their version of the hat(s) worn by Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones movies, but that's essentially what they are--a relatively simple "everyman" hat with classic fedora styling. As much as I like my Campdrafts, the Fed IV just has that "special something" and it's currently my favorite mass-produced hat.

I like Hat People's caps myself, and I have a few of them, but there are more than a few members here who prefer flat caps from other manufacturers. As a general rule, Hat People doesn't use snaps or stitching or any other method of attaching their caps' crowns to the brims; I don't know if they even offer that as a special request, because I've never asked. They're well-made caps, especially for their asking price, and that's good enough for my simple tastes.
I have several caps from Hat people and have no issues at all.

Epemethius

New in Town
but there are more than a few members here who prefer flat caps from other manufacturers.

What other manufacturers for flat caps? I am very new to this, don't know the particular search words for flat caps.
Is 7 3/8 (59 cm) an odd size? it seems 7 to 7 1/4 is much more common.

I recently bid/bought a few inexpensive fedoras to get used to wearing them and experimenting. One is 7 1/4 to experiment with stretching.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm not up on Flat Caps , but I'd go to jjhatcenter.com and delmonicohatters.com , and others and look at brands . Stetson.com sells them , too . I heard gorrin.com (Gorrin Brothers Hats) was not great , but I have no idea . Check on youtube and take a look at a tour of Pork-Pie Hatters (part of J&J Hat Center's Locations) with Kevin (quadrogong1111 channel or something). Here's the mini tour vid
I think it shows some flat caps and others , but there are more vids showing specific stuff , and other info .
There are Flat Caps , Newsboy Caps , 6-8 Panel , something like that , but somewhere on here I read about a company that was supposed to be good , but don't recall the name , Id check through "What Hat Are You Wearing Today" Thread and see , there are some wearing Caps , and you see styles , and Manufacturers .

What other manufacturers for flat caps? I am very new to this, don't know the particular search words for flat caps.

If you visit the Cap Faction thread you will see the work of some very talented cap makers who are also members here. Jonathan Cordova, Damian and Keith Lo Bue make the finest modern interpretations of vintage newsboy caps to found anywhere (IMHO). Each has a dedicated thread in the Merchants section of the lounge.

Leigh Zaleta

New in Town
I'm new to this forum and a little unsure how to post my own question. I just ordered a brand new Stetson Saxon Fedora in Black. I'm a size 6 3/4 (54cm) and since it was a special order, they won't let me return it. I decided to go with a different color instead and had to place a second order because they "couldn't" cancel the first.
I guess my question is where would be the best place to sell a brand new Stetson Saxon? I paid $160 for it and would like to get as close to what I paid as possible
Thanks!

Xylophile

One of the Regulars
This seems to work on other sites, so I figure that it deserves a shot here.

If you've got a quick hat question and don't see a thread for it, just post it here. Whether the question is about cleaning, anatomy of a hat, brands, etc., this is the place.

Here's one to break the ice.
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCards.jpg
1919-1940ArentsCigaretteCardsback.jpg
Just got my first nice hat, BGGCD, and there are some persistent dents on the side from shipping. They go right in and the rest of the hat is what I expected and not too stiff. I'll be steaming it to get an oval shape into it, and I just wondered what to do about those vertical side dents that seem to come from shipping? They are softer and tend to push in while I'm trying shape the hat.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm new to this forum and a little unsure how to post my own question. I just ordered a brand new Stetson Saxon Fedora in Black. I'm a size 6 3/4 (54cm) and since it was a special order, they won't let me return it. I decided to go with a different color instead and had to place a second order because they "couldn't" cancel the first.
I guess my question is where would be the best place to sell a brand new Stetson Saxon? I paid $160 for it and would like to get as close to what I paid as possible
Thanks!

for that size it may not be easy to get what you spent

I say try the classifieds here as well as eBay

good luck

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just got my first nice hat, BGGCD, and there are some persistent dents on the side from shipping. They go right in and the rest of the hat is what I expected and not too stiff. I'll be steaming it to get an oval shape into it, and I just wondered what to do about those vertical side dents that seem to come from shipping? They are softer and tend to push in while I'm trying shape the hat.

steam them out and let the hat dry completely open crown before attempting to apply your bash

if you don't have a block or something you use as a block it may take a few steaming session to get them out ... be patient

if you are working blockless ... steam those spots and work them out from the inside with your fingers and hold them for a while as the hat dries

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks!

for that size it may not be easy to get what you spent

I say try the classifieds here as well as eBay

good luck

So True and Great Advice . Or you might want to hang on to it . You never know , your taste may change , or outfit , and think , "Boy I wish I hadn't basically given away that nice Hat , it would go perfectly with this outfit ." 6 3/4 is very small , that's why you see so many Great Vintage Hats in those smaller sizes , and going for much less than a 7 1/4 to 7 3/8 , or larger . Almost impossible to find Great Vintage Hats in good condition in 7 3/8 , but 7 1/8 and smaller , all day long ! Sickening ! As Moon says so often , "@#%&* you small headed people !" It's frustrating for average size noggin guys . Trust me !

The FL Classifieds at the bottom of the forum page , or eBay are options , if its a must , but like Moon said , It will be tough , even with a brand new hat in that size to recoup your investment . I'd hang on to it , and see if the opportunity to wear it comes , and you may like it more and more , and it gives you more options instead of taking the Hit . ... Welcome to the Lounge !

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks!
I would try to find a upscale consignment shop.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
steam them out and let the hat dry completely open crown before attempting to apply your bash

if you don't have a block or something you use as a block it may take a few steaming session to get them out ... be patient

if you are working blockless ... steam those spots and work them out from the inside with your fingers and hold them for a while as the hat dries
2nd that. Work from the inside out.

Xylophile

One of the Regulars

Ok, I'll do those things. This is fun! :) I can see what you mean about "like clay", now that I have some workable felt that's not like clay. I also wanted a Fed IV in heritage faun, and now I can see the value in a custom made hat and how enjoyable that could be, and I can see how really big an interest in vintage hats could be.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ok, I'll do those things. This is fun! :) I can see what you mean about "like clay", now that I have some workable felt that's not like clay. I also wanted a Fed IV in heritage faun, and now I can see the value in a custom made hat and how enjoyable that could be, and I can see how really big an interest in vintage hats could be.
Ps. The more steam, the longer you keep the hat under its effect and the closer u keep the hat to the steam source, the more pliable the felt becomes.

If steam doesn't quite get the job done for whatever reason, try distilled water. Apply it with a sprayer bottle and let it soak into the felt (wet, but not necessarily soaked all the way through), then shape it as suggested. Akubras seem to like water, and that's all I've ever used to shape mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats