Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
St.Ignatz said:
It would seem a large percentage of people are Long Oval. Why they are so difficult to purchase "off the rack" is, in my opinion, a real shoot yourself in the foot move to an industry trying for some sort of resurgence. I've spayed my CD good and wet and wore it till it dried. Wearing it in the rain is a lot more satisfying and the hat will be better for it. You can buy LO stretchers but if too much is needed (XLO) you get a very exaggerated brim curve.
Tom D.

It's just wierd, I NEVER thought my head was as big as it is.

I mean, I know there are bigger, but LO size 59 is really up there lol (in the range of normal sizes, I mean).

I'll keep working the CD, and I don't mind brim curve all that much. It's just good to know why the hat's not fitting right now.

With every hat purchase I learn more, like the fact that I am a Long Oval lol.
I detailed everything I've learned from all my hat purchases so far (you know, since I started wearing hats the beginning of this summer) in the Akubra Campdraft thread. It's really quite a lot :D.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
I guess a better way of saying it is that it's level and not at an angle. It's quite snug.

Maybe "59" is just a bit small for you. FWIW, I am a 7 3/8 LO, and my Akubra size is "60." (In fact, just ordered a bluegrass green Campdraft in that size...;))

Cheers,
JtL

Neophyte

jimmy the lid said:
Maybe "59" is just a bit small for you. FWIW, I am a 7 3/8 LO, and my Akubra size is "60." (In fact, just ordered a bluegrass green Campdraft in that size...;))

Cheers,
JtL

:eek:

Darn it! I was plannin' on bein' the one to contribute a better understanding on the elusive Akubra "Bluegrass Green" to The Fedora Lounge.

...oh well, I think it's best if I wait and figure out what size I am first.

Here's another question:

Let's say the over-the-knee stretch method works. That fixes my current hat, but would it be best to go up a size, rather than request long oval reblocking, on my next hat? Or should I just OTK every new purchase?

So I am technically a size 59 LO, or a regular OTK size 59 (lol)...I guess it would be best to go 60, like all of my other purchases. I originally ordered the CD in 59 because of the oval block...

Jimmy, thanks. EA had only two 59 in BG left.

I just hope that when I call and ask how many 60's they have left, they don't say "...well, actually...".

(lol).

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
Stetson Tehachapi

The price of a Stetson Tehachapi seems higher than most Stetsons.But it looks like a good hat.Does anyone have a Stetson Tehachapi?If so what do you think of it?Is it good quality?

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
danofarlington said:
I think it is too far gone.

You guys are probably right, but I can appreciate that Cool1 wants to get a little more mileage out of his favorite beater. Let's consider this thought experiment (I have never done this):

If this is just a tear, there is no fiber missing, I think iron-on fabric tape might just work. All that would be needed would be a crown mold of the right size, plus the tape and an iron to apply it.

One would start by wetting down the hat and forming an open crown on the mold, making certain that the torn edges meet-up properly. This might require some (duct?) tape or pins to hold everything in place as the hat drys on the mold.

When dry, the hat comes off the crown mold. Next, the iron-on tape is applied to the crown mold, adhesive side out, such that it will be directly under the tear. Several radius cuts in the iron-on tape will be required to get it to conform to the spherical shape of the crown mold.

The hat goes back on the mold, everything is aligned properly, and the iron is used (gently) to fuse the tape to the inside of the hat, mending the tear.

Wet down the hat, restore the original crease, and the treasured beater is ready to go; not perfect, but good enough for a few more adventures.

Worth a try; nothing to loose.:)

Neophyte

To The Customers of EverythingAustralian

Well, since JimmyTheLid had to go and order the last size 60 Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green from EverythingAustralian.com.au, I'm in need of a size 59 of the same hat, reblocked for Long Oval.

So, does anyone know if EA offers reblocking services on hats before they ship off? There's only two CD's of that color in my size left, maybe less now, so I need to act fast.

Can anyone out there help me?

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Well, since JimmyTheLid had to go and order the last size 60 Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green from EverythingAustralian.com.au, I'm in need of a size 59 of the same hat, reblocked for Long Oval.

So, does anyone know if EA offers reblocking services on hats before they ship off? There's only two CD's of that color in my size left, maybe less now, so I need to act fast.

Can anyone out there help me?

I don't know for sure, but I have a feeling they don't, or else they would have listed that service on their website. I would email Sam at EA and ask him that question, though. In the meantime, maybe someone else that has dealt with EA can say for sure. IIRC, Akubra won't block their hats long oval, so any LO blocking would have to be done after the fact. You could always get the hat and have a hatter reblock it to long oval, or else just stretch it with a hat jack a little. Keep in mind that if you have to stretch a hat to make it fit, it's going to want to shrink back to its original size pretty quickly. If the circumference is correct for you and you just need to stretch it longways a little and draw it in a little side to side, the stretching should stick pretty well.

I'll give you a little tip courtesy of Woodfluter. Get a teapot steaming and steam real well around the hatband on the outside, then put the hat on your head and jam it down further than it normally goes, all the way down to your ears. Then just wear the hat for a while, maybe half an hour. The hat will conform like crazy. To really make it "stick" do the same thing the following day and then do it again the next day. I did this with one of my fur felts that was not long oval enough, and it worked like a charm. I put it away for a couple of months, and when I tried it on recently, it still fit with no shrinkage. I wouldn't do any major stretching that way, but if it just needs a little stretching/conforming, it works great; better than a hat jack because you're actually conforming it into the shape of your head, not just stretching it arbitrarily lengthwise.

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
I'll give you a little tip courtesy of Woodfluter. Get a teapot steaming and steam real well around the hatband on the outside, then put the hat on your head and jam it down further than it normally goes, all the way down to your ears. Then just wear the hat for a while, maybe half an hour. The hat will conform like crazy. To really make it "stick" do the same thing the following day and then do it again the next day. I did this with one of my fur felts that was not long oval enough, and it worked like a charm. I put it away for a couple of months, and when I tried it on recently, it still fit with no shrinkage. I wouldn't do any major stretching that way, but if it just needs a little stretching/conforming, it works great; better than a hat jack because you're actually conforming it into the shape of your head, not just stretching it arbitrarily lengthwise.

Wow...I never thought of that, but I can see how that would work. I think I'll try that, thanks so much Mr. Train (and Woodfluter).

Yeah...I had noticed that by just stretching the sweatband area otk, the crown of the hat would still press against my head, so I can definitely see how this method you're speaking of will work.

I'll keep working the Taupe Fawn CD, because I can't in good conscience purchase another hat until the beginning or early September. I'll see if I can work the Campdraft just how I want it.

And hey...if by the time I get around to ordering Bluegrass Green is no longer offered in my size, then it just makes my choice of color easier (Glen Grey) lol.

...Hopefully, it's just my head not being used to contact with a sweatband, and I'll get used to it soon enough.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
By the way, with this method you just steam around the hatband (basically you're steaming the sweatband area, just on the outside of the hat). People always say when you're shaping a crown not to steam the sweatband or hatband, but I've found that with this limited application, it doesn't hurt anything, particularly not with a hardy workman's hat like an Akubra. :D

Neophyte

Mr E Train said:
By the way, with this method you just steam around the hatband (basically you're steaming the sweatband area, just on the outside of the hat). People always say when you're shaping a crown not to steam the sweatband or hatband, but I've found that with this limited application, it doesn't hurt anything, particularly not with a hardy workman's hat like an Akubra. :D

Good to know, especially since before I didn't know you were talking about the outside of the hat lol! Thanks Mr. E Train for the late-night help :) .

Mr E Train

One Too Many
Neophyte said:
Good to know, especially since before I didn't know you were talking about the outside of the hat lol! Thanks Mr. E Train for the late-night help :) .

No problem. I'm glad I thought to clarify. I would never suggest applying steam directly to the sweatband; probably not a good idea. ;)

Mr E Train

One Too Many
St.Ignatz said:
I agree E. Your 're not steaming a vintage band. The akubra is plenty supple. I get the whole hat wet to make the brim shaping easier.
Tom D.

I've done it with vintage hats, but the sweatbands were in good shape, and we're not talking major stretching here. It's certainly less traumatic than taking a hat over your knee and stretching it or even stretching it on a hat jack.

Neophyte

Well, I think it's safe to say that I can order a 59 :) .

I've otk'd the CD numerous times over the past couple of hours. I've gotten it to the point where, at the angle I prefer to wear it at (at least while I've got this brim flip going), it's not snug. This is great news, although I did hear two snaps while I was stretching it. I figure this has to do with some stitching/sewing somewhere in the sweatband, so...I'm just gonna...kinda...sorta...ya know...leave it alone.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
[...] I did hear two snaps while I was stretching it. I figure this has to do with some stitching/sewing somewhere in the sweatband, so...I'm just gonna...kinda...sorta...ya know...leave it alone.

I don't own an Akubra. I know nothing about them. But as a general rule of thumb, I would recommend getting a hat that fits properly from the start.

Should that prove impossible, and you decide to use force to achieve your objective, there is a strong possiblilty that you will not be satisfied with the results.

Neophyte

zetwal said:
I don't own an Akubra. I know nothing about them. But as a general rule of thumb, I would recommend getting a hat that fits properly from the start.

Should that prove impossible, and you decide to use force to achieve your objective, there is a strong possiblilty that you will not be satisfied with the results.

lol I hear you completely. You see, though, I only started wearing hats this summer, and it's taken 4 purchases now to learn everything I've learned so far. I must also point out that I did not know the Campdraft was too snug until I pulled it down to achieve the "brim flip" look .
If the damn Campdraft is too snug front and back, I MUST be a long oval lol.

OTK has worked just fine for me, I left it alone after the stretching last nigh, and this morning it fits perfectly. I also examined the sweatband for any damage and cannot find any, so the damage is probably miniscule.

A page or two ago, I outlined what I've learned from each of my hats, so don't worry.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Neophyte said:
[...] it's taken 4 purchases now to learn everything I've learned so far. [...] OTK has worked just fine for me, I left it alone after the stretching last nigh, and this morning it fits perfectly.

There is no better teacher than experience! I'm happy to hear that it worked out to your satisfaction. Enjoy! ;)

Neophyte

rippy444 said:
Inside the liner is a print of a winged armor covered cow riding a hand powed lever type railroad car.

...what the hell? lol

Don't worry, I'm sure someone will be able to help you very soon. Meanwhile I'll try to find something online to help you. Good luck!

rlk

I'll Lock Up
rippy444 said:
A friend of mine just stopped by and gave me a hat made by Dalton Hats-New York. He says it has been in his attic for years. It is taller than a Humburg.
It says, Julius Gumpert Cassel on the sweat band. Inside the liner is a print of a winged armor covered cow riding a hand powed lever type railroad car. I will try a photo when my son comes over to do it.Under the cow print is printed: Mossant Vallon Argod. I do not know any more than this about the hat. It feels like a size seven or slightly larger. Sad to say, a mouse bit a piece out of thr top front.It has never been worn. I would appreciate any information on the hat.Thanks. Ralph. PS: The hat box has an eagle with a shield on it's chest and lettering too small for me to read. :) :)

Sure you weren't dreaming about that cow? Dalton Hats were made in Yonkers New York and Mossant are from France. Unlikely to coexist on the same hat and neither has a logo with a cow[huh] Both made nice hats, Mossant some exceptional ones. I do seem to remember a hat made by Mossant for Cavanagh though. Found it--A Tuxedo Hat http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=773182&postcount=37
Curious to see the pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steveng183