Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latigo

Familiar Face
I hope my question was not that far off base......... Is it possible to have a hatter increase the size of a hat by blocking (re-blocking) it over a larger size hat block then it was originally?

Latigo

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I hope my question was not that far off base......... Is it possible to have a hatter increase the size of a hat by blocking (re-blocking) it over a larger size hat block then it was originally?

Latigo
To a point. I had a 7-3/8 opened up to a 7-1/2 or thereabout.

Latigo

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply FedOregon, so it can be done. In your case by a 1/8 size increase, but there has to be a limit I would think before the hat would be distorted?
I'm new here so sorry for the lack of knowledge I'm still learning....

Latigo

Synycyl

New in Town
I hope I am asking this in the right place. What is the difference between the Akubra Adventurer and Akubra Federation? Both seem to be decent Indiana Jones style hats.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I hope I am asking this in the right place. What is the difference between the Akubra Adventurer and Akubra Federation? Both seem to be decent Indiana Jones style hats.

The Adventurer is 70X60mm sides , and the Fed is 70X63mm sides , and maybe the way the Crown is Blocked , and Ribbon . I don't know and don't own either . Seems I heard the Fed IV was more favored , but you could ask an Indiana Jones fan on here . It kind of looks like the Adventurer Crown has a taper to me .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hat Blocking Question: How much of a size increase or decrease can you get by blocking (re-blocking) a felt hat? One whole size or less? Can you increase a 6 7/8 to a 7 1/8?

latigo

I think the answer is yes , but you lose some Brim . You could just spring for a Hat the right size in the style you want , Custom or factory made . That reblocking will change the Hat into something else . 1/4" of Brim makes a pretty big difference to some people for better or worse .

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
What hat is the guy in the silhouette for this website wearing?

I'm assuming it's a Stetson Whippet, I just wanted confirmation. I'm considering buying one. I really want a properly old fashioned fedora, with a tall, untapered, crown, a nice thick ribbon, and a decent sized brim.

I figure the Whippet is probably the one that will meet those requirements.
a modern Whippet will not give you the dimensions you seek ... the only modern wide ribbon hat that might is the Stetsonian and I believe they are discontinued
... some stores still have them in stock though
Call around ... I know JJ Hat Center still has some

a modern Stetsonian
aeb0c6fb10c86766b97abbe3aadb61b1.jpg

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think the answer is yes , but you lose some Brim . You could just spring for a Hat the right size in the style you want , Custom or factory made . That reblocking will change the Hat into something else . 1/4" of Brim makes a pretty big difference to some people for better or worse .

Agreed.
It all depends on how much brim you are willing to give up, if you're just talking stretching---> one size only e.g. - 7 3/8 to a 7 1/2, done sloooooww and incrementally.

Latigo

Familiar Face
Hello Michael R. I see by your avatar that you have an interest in western and if you know your way around a saddle you know what a Latigo is. I chose this user name hoping to get the western fans to cowboy up and confess to the western style as this forum is not called the Fedora Lounge for nothing. :) You know I have to admit there are some mighty elegant Fedoras posted and I am tempted to get one myself! So all my hats are western and 1/4 inch of brim off a 4 inch wouldn't make much of a difference, just don't roll up the fenders as much! Ok, I admit to getting the vintage bug and also been modifying some of the hats I have bought to suit my taste. But I would like to know my options should I find a vintage hat that is not quite my size that I just have to have even if I have spend a little more to get it to fit. I have stretched a 7 to a 7 1/8 myself but it did cause some worry about the liner splitting. Many thanks.... Ok we have the Borsalino Brotherhood and many others on this forum and there is a thread called Western Anyone? I'm new here and was wondering about creating a "Western corral" or "Cowboy Corral" for posting everything Western, what do you think?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hello Michael R. I see by your avatar that you have an interest in western and if you know your way around a saddle you know what a Latigo is. I chose this user name hoping to get the western fans to cowboy up and confess to the western style as this forum is not called the Fedora Lounge for nothing. :) You know I have to admit there are some mighty elegant Fedoras posted and I am tempted to get one myself! So all my hats are western and 1/4 inch of brim off a 4 inch wouldn't make much of a difference, just don't roll up the fenders as much! Ok, I admit to getting the vintage bug and also been modifying some of the hats I have bought to suit my taste. But I would like to know my options should I find a vintage hat that is not quite my size that I just have to have even if I have spend a little more to get it to fit. I have stretched a 7 to a 7 1/8 myself but it did cause some worry about the liner splitting. Many thanks.... Ok we have the Borsalino Brotherhood and many others on this forum and there is a thread called Western Anyone? I'm new here and was wondering about creating a "Western corral" or "Cowboy Corral" for posting everything Western, what do you think?

Oh yeah , I know what a latigo is , and yeah (just don't Joao find out) you can take off 1/2" off a 4" brim and it will still look good . Depends what you want , but i like a 3 1/2" Brim . You can Post anything Western on Western , anyone ? Thread , or if its Boots , go to attire and accoutrements , and go to Western Boots Thread . I'm sure there's probably everything already on here you could imagine as far as Threads somewhere . There are guys that have re-blocked Westerns into Fedoras on Conversion Corral , and there are other Threads with advice and show and tell . Look around and go back , you'll be surprised what you'll find , this is a Big Place . These guys know everything about Hats , somebody will be able to answer whatever you want to know , or know who can .

Latigo

Familiar Face
Oh yeah , I know what a latigo is , and yeah (just don't let Joao find out) you can take off 1/2" off a 4" brim and it will still look good . Depends what you want , but i like a 3 1/2" Brim . You can Post anything Western on Western , anyone ? Thread , or if its Boots , go to attire and accoutrements , and go to Western Boots Thread . I'm sure there's probably everything already on here you could imagine as far as Threads somewhere . There are guys that have re-blocked Westerns into Fedoras on Conversion Corral , and there are other Threads with advice and show and tell . Look around and go back , you'll be surprised what you'll find , this is a Big Place . These guys know everything about Hats , somebody will be able to answer whatever you want to know , or know who can .

Again many thanks..... Most of mine are 3 1/2, 3 1/4 with a little "rocker" or "Dip" front to back on the brim.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Oh yeah , I know what a latigo is , and yeah (just don't let Joao find out) you can take off 1/2" off a 4" brim and it will still look good . Depends what you want , but I like a 3 1/2" Brim . You can Post anything Western on "Western , anyone ?" Thread , or if its Boots , go to attire and accoutrements , and go to "Western Boots" Thread , it might be "Cowboy Boots" Thread . I'm sure there's probably everything already on here you could imagine as far as Threads somewhere . There are guys that have re-blocked Westerns into Fedoras on "Conversion Corral" , and there are other Threads with advice and show and tell . Look around and go back , you'll be surprised what you'll find , this is a Big Place . These guys know everything about Hats , somebody will be able to answer whatever you want to know , or know who can . Also there are Hatters on here , or Hatters maybe close that can do whatever you want , if you don't want to attempt it .
Heard you the first time.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Again many thanks..... Most of mine are 3 1/2, 3 1/4 with a little "rocker" or "Dip" front to back on the brim.

I bought a 7X Resistol I think it was a while back that had a Quarter Horse Crown , and advertised a 4" Brim , but I knew it wasn't . I asked them to re-measure and I think they said 3 1/2" Brim , but it came with a 3 1/4" . Looks like a Billy Gibbons Special . But its a nice Hat , I haven't gotten the nerve to wear it yet .

...I did bash it again, but honesty I don't think it made any difference. I realised it wasn't that the hat was tapered, the left and right side are parallel, it was just the angle I was looking at the hat from. Kind of stupid, but I am a little bit particular about it.
When I started wearing hats in 2008 I was very concerned about the shapes of the crown and brim--I wanted them to be as symmetrical as possible, and the front pinch had to line up with my nose. These days I'm happy if the hat fits comfortably and don't really care if the pinch is off or if the crown or brim are a bit wonky. There's nothing wrong with being particular, but don't be surprised if that trait relaxes at least a little over time; some hats just look better when they're a little "off".

The Adventurer is 70X60mm sides , and the Fed is 70X63mm sides , and maybe the way the Crown is Blocked , and Ribbon . I don't know and don't own either . Seems I heard the Fed IV was more favored , but you could ask an Indiana Jones fan on here . It kind of looks like the Adventurer Crown has a taper to me .
Akubra lists the size of the Adventurer's brim as 70mm x 60mm, but David Morgan's website lists the size as 3-1/8" (79.375mm) x 2-3/4" (69.85mm) which is a little wider all around than the Fed IV. Also, off-the-shelf it seems the Adventurer's brim has no flange and is turned down front and back like an "Outback" style hat. Like Michael I don't own an Adventurer, but in some photos the crown seems tapered and in others not so much.

As far as which one would make a better Indiana Jones style hat...beats me. The Fed IV is loosely based on the hat(s) seen in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, so it's the right hat if that's the look you want. But if you want something closer to the Raiders of the Lost Ark hats, I think the David Morgan Adventurer with it's slightly wider brim might be a better choice...if you can get the brim to take a more fedora-like shape, that is.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hi, Can somebody tell me what hat Pharrell Williams is wearing in the clip "com get it bea"? Is it a model of Fedora?
Greats from Germany :) View attachment 74022
View attachment 74023 View attachment 74024 View attachment 74025

I'm not a fan , or even know who this is , but its definitely a Fedora : Obviously White or Crystal in color (could be Bone), and the Crown and Dents (all around) are just put in (using steam to stay) . Looks like a bandana of some sort around the Hat Band . If you're in Germany , I'll bet @EstherWeis could easily make the Hat and copy the Crease/s and/or Dents . She's a Hatter and Super Model in Belgium , Antwerp to be exact . She's married , so don't get any ideas . Contact her here and she could tell you anything you would like to know .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou