Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
FYI: I see ebay sellers listing all kinds of hats variously as Indiana Jones, Whippet, Stratoliner, Open Road, etc, etc, and the hats commonly have nothing in common with the stated models at all. Buyer Beware.

You may very well have a quite nice fur felt hat, but it appears to have no real connection to a "Raiders" hat.

ETA: The same goes for "Genuine Montecristi Panama Hat(s)."

Unfortunately the Herbert Johnson website isn't too much help =( I expected "Trafalgar" to be a model listed somewhere but so far no luck =(
Yeah, I did that too. Nothing of value from a google search either. Sill I'm betting the collective knowledge of the Fedora Lounge will have something for me.
The 30 Bond street address puts it no earlier than 1985 until approx 1996. According to COW.

Ah, that is helpful. A date range is a start. Thank you.

FYI: I see ebay sellers listing all kinds of hats variously as Indiana Jones, Whippet, Stratoliner, Open Road, etc, etc, and the hats commonly have nothing in common with the stated models at all. Buyer Beware.

You may very well have a quite nice fur felt hat, but it appears to have no real connection to a "Raiders" hat.

ETA: The same goes for "Genuine Montecristi Panama Hat(s)."

Oh don't I know it. I don't know if it's malicious, but the descriptions some sellers come up with qualifies as creative writing if not outright fiction. I didn't buy this hat thinking it was a anything like an Indy hat. I bought it based on the photos and not the written description. I know it's not an Indy hat, but I would like to know what it is. As an aside, I was recently offered a genuine "Whippet" at an antique store that turned out to be a Bailey. I declined.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I just bought a used hat and I was wondering if the brain trust here could give me some insights on it. I'm not expecting much for the price. It is a Herbert Johnson that was listed as an Indiana Jones hat, but there was no mention of it being a Poet. Can anyone provide anything on this hat?

ab5829c480319fcccdbfd515cfb24f84.jpg
fe64ec02877f948f24ca7039a618e8c0.jpg
29d2b52944f23deb642f99d1070bc61a.jpg
cd7e9ae0b4aa5ebfb8030944c781cbf5.jpg
ddd83d0a5c1282061f8317945fec184e.jpg
fa2a4dadd910d6d74f247549c4c5b414.jpg

I won't have in in my hands for a week or so. The ribbon and color look wrong for an Indy hat. It's hard to tell about the shape. The brim is approximately 2 5/8 inches. I don't know much more. I'll have it reblocked and hope to add it to my rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's just a hat made by Herbert Johnson

people see a brown hat associated with Herbert Johnson and they say Indiana Jones ... just things we have to deal with when sellers know nothing about hats

everything is "gangster" or "hipster" or "Indiana Jones" or "Film Noir" or "Bogart"

these attempts at keyword terms are meaningless and never have anything to do with the hat ... these are very very rarely terms that knowledgable hat sellers use ... which is not a bad thing ... we often find great deals when people don't know what they have

Last edited:

people see a brown hat associated with Herbert Johnson and they say Indiana Jones ... just things we have to deal with when sellers know nothing about hats

everything is "gangster" or "hipster" or "Indiana Jones" or "Film Noir" or "Bogart"

these attempts at keyword terms are meaningless and never have anything to do with the hat ... these are very very rarely terms that knowledgable hat sellers use ... which is not a bad thing ... we often find great deals when people don't know what they have
+1 My Hardeman Homburg was listed as a "Bowler". They had no idea, it was just open crown, and looked round like a stiff felt. Got this gem for $20.

I'm not finding any specific information on the hat. I know a lot about what it isn't, but not what it is. I'm thinking you're right that it's "just a hat" and I'll leave it there. The auction had a make an offer option and I made a lowball offer and it was accepted. Kind of surprised me. If it turns out to be low quality (as a lot of Herbert Johnsons are) I'm not out much. The reblocking will cost as much as the hat. I'll know more when it's in my hands. Thanks for the help.

+1 My Hardeman Homburg was listed as a "Bowler". They had no idea, it was just open crown, and looked round like a stiff felt. Got this gem for $20.

Funny you mentioned that. I've been after a chocolate brown Homburg for some time. recently I started searching for bowlers too since so many misidentify Homburgs. I'm hoping for one of the $20 deals.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'm not finding any specific information on the hat. I know a lot about what it isn't, but not what it is. I'm thinking you're right that it's "just a hat" and I'll leave it there. The auction had a make an offer option and I made a lowball offer and it was accepted. Kind of surprised me. If it turns out to be low quality (as a lot of Herbert Johnsons are) I'm not out much. The reblocking will cost as much as the hat. I'll know more when it's in my hands. Thanks for the help.

what it is is a Herbert Johnson hat ... what other information are you looking for ?

what it is is a Herbert Johnson hat ... what other information are you looking for ?

I was looking for age and if anyone knew anything of the model Trafalgar (if that is indeed the model). I get that "it is what it is," but I thought someone might know something about it that I don't since my online searches haven't turned up anything. The age range based on address provided by another member was appreciated. I just like to know details about the hats I'm acquiring.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
I was looking for age and if anyone knew anything of the model Trafalgar (if that is indeed the model). I get that "it is what it is," but I thought someone might know something about it that I don't since my online searches haven't turned up anything. The age range based on address provided by another member was appreciated. I just like to know details about the hats I'm acquiring.

It's possibly a hat made for a different store. Maybe an examination of the tags under the sweat will reveal something.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Email the manufacturer

John the Swede

Familiar Face
Just bought a Baileys hat from Village Hat Shop in SF, and the tag attached reads "Dillards." What gives? Do they buy their stock from department stores??

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
Are all vintage fur felt (beaver, rabbit) hats labeled "fur felt" or something of the kind? Because nowadays if a hat doesn't say "fur felt" then it's usually a good indicator that it's wool. But does that rule apply to vintage hats from the 1940's and 1950's too? In other words, if a vintage hat has the original band, and the band doesn't mention "fur felt" anywhere, can it still be fur felt?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't collect things. I buy what I like, and (try to) keep the numbers down. I never have a completion goal because most things I buy are not part of a 'set.'

Back in '09, I started a more active search for a particular style of hat, and bought a few of them in different colors, but I don't have one of every color they make because I don't love every color they make.

I am rarely hunting for things. Sometimes something nice crosses my path, such as the Game Bird, and I get lucky enough to obtain it.

So, the proper number of hats? There is no answer. Or rather, the answer, to me, is whatever satisfies you. And even then, the number itself is not important.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Are all vintage fur felt (beaver, rabbit) hats labeled "fur felt" or something of the kind? Because nowadays if a hat doesn't say "fur felt" then it's usually a good indicator that it's wool. But does that rule apply to vintage hats from the 1940's and 1950's too? In other words, if a vintage hat has the original band, and the band doesn't mention "fur felt" anywhere, can it still be fur felt?
Pre-70s wool hats do exist, though rare and easily identifiable from fur felt. 99.9% of vintage hats from the 50s and older are a fur felt (rabbit, beaver, Nutria, etc). Old hats do not read "fur felt" on their bands like modern hats do.

We have many threads devoted to older examples, and each thread has a great amount of informative photographs

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The Poet of today is not the Poet of yesteryear. Blocks are different. Material is different. Things were lost. Things were 'found.' Suppliers and quality changed.

If you want the closest thing to a 'real' Indy hat these days, contact John Penman. Lots of reasons why.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Just bought a Baileys hat from Village Hat Shop in SF, and the tag attached reads "Dillards." What gives? Do they buy their stock from department stores??

I just erased my previous response since it was innacurate. Anyway -- we have a VHS in San Diego and I notice they sell lots of odds and ends there that are not listed online. I don't think they would purchase a hat from a dept store just to upsell it, but I'm fairly certain they acquire their inventory in many creative ways (patrons, staff members finding stuff, etc).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany