Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get your hat? I really like the looks and the color!

I do not mind. I just started to learn about and wear hats at the beginning of this summer. Thanks to the infinitely knowledgeable, polite, and helpful folks that frequent the Lounge, I have learned a LOT about hats. It may not be my place to do so, but I am eager to share the knowlegde I have gained, and help those who are in/know somebody who was is my place not half a year ago lol.

The hat is an Akubra Campdraft (popular here due to its quality and resemblance to the legendary Stetson Open Roads). The color is Bluegrass Green, and I purchased it from EverythingAustralian.com.au. Here is the Campdraft page on their website: http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19. It is only immediately available in this color from EA.

This hat can also be found in grey, fawn, and silverbelly/estes tan at HatsDirect.com. Here is their Campdraft page: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0.

I have purchased hats from both businesses, and although HatsDirect is more expensive, I have only positive things to say about the customer service, shipping...hell, the entire buying experience.

Last edited:

MarkD

One of the Regulars
Neophyte, thanks so much for the quick response and all the info! My son has always loved suits, and dress clothes. He doesn't always have a place to wear them though.lol The Hawaiian shirt idea is a great one since we live in Florida. :) This is actually a picture I took of him and his brother wearing shirts that I made them. You can tell he does like the vintage look.

67329_171101962903429_100000108789561_609936_5883028_n.jpg

Those cool cats need some hats!

Nicely done Neo.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those cool cats need some hats!

Nicely done Neo.

Indeed they do!

Thanks, Mark! I skipped class today to make time to study for the exam this week (apparently every test is an exam now [huh]), which is what we'd be doing in class anyway, so I've got the spare time lol!

SheBear74

Practically Family
I do not mind. I just started to learn about and wear hats at the beginning of this summer. Thanks to the infinitely knowledgeable, polite, and helpful folks that frequent the Lounge, I have learned a LOT about hats. It may not be my place to do so, but I am eager to share the knowlegde I have gained, and help those who are in/know somebody who was is my place not half a year ago lol.

The hat is an Akubra Campdraft (popular here due to its quality and resemblance to the legendary Stetson Open Roads). The color is Bluegrass Green, and I purchased it from EverythingAustralian.com.au. Here is the Campdraft page on their website: http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=19. It is only immediately available in this color from EA.

This hat can also be found in grey, fawn, and silverbelly/estes tan at HatsDirect.com. Here is their Campdraft page: http://hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi?view=50&returncat=Fedora+Hats&returnpage=0.

I have done purchased hats from both businesses, and although HatsDirect is more expensive, I have only positive things to say about the customer service, shipping...hell, the entire buying experience.

Thank you so much!!! You have been a great help! Thanks for the compliments on the shirts too :)

OT1899

Familiar Face
I saw the movie "Secretariat" last Friday. It's a great movie and there were a number of good looking hats included in the movie. Were any of these provided by Lounge vendors?

Also, I am looking for a post on a source for the plastic "saran wrap" crown and brim protectors that protect a hat from acid transfer in storage. I was unable to find it under the new search features, but I've definitely seen it before. Anyone remember the official name of the protectors and where a man can buy a few?

Thanks ...

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I bought a hat recently and now I would be interested if anyone of all of the hat experts here who could tell me a little about this hat?

Barbisio.jpg

I don't know if it says "ABANO" or "ABANA" both the letter "a" and the letter "b" are on the top of each other. Also the colour is much darker brown.

BarbisioII.jpg

What are hats of these types called, Trilbys? Do you know when it was made? I guess it is from the original Barbisio factory before they closed in the late 1980's? Barbisio hats were also handmade or am I wrong?

This style (Alpine like) was pretty common in Italy, Germany, Austria in the late 1960s into the 1970s. I heard them described as Robinhood hats although I don't think that name was used in continental Europe. Here is a Barbisio of mine from about the same time period.

3636642856_51a0ae488b_b.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but damned if I can find it. I've got a hat on eBay two different bidders from Japan are interested in. Using my best guesses and their postal codes, the shipping looks like it would be about $120. Could that be right? Does anybody here have any experience shipping hats to Japan? I hate to turn these fellows down, but it sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Thanks, Frank

DragonJade

One of the Regulars
I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but damned if I can find it. I've got a hat on eBay two different bidders from Japan are interested in. Using my best guesses and their postal codes, the shipping looks like it would be about $120. Could that be right? Does anybody here have any experience shipping hats to Japan? I hate to turn these fellows down, but it sounds like a bit of a nightmare. Thanks, Frank

Here is the USPS prices overview for posting to Japan:
http://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/il_010.htm#ep1628203

If you use the ebay postage calculator, you're going to get some crazy prices.

Depending on the size of the box, I'd send it either First-Class Mail International or Priority Mail International for the cheapest methods.

Last edited:

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the help, so I guess my hat could be from 50's-60's because of the size tag which is made out of paper. Or am I completely wrong?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's not the paper tag. It's the combination of the short, tapered crown, brim style, liner, leather used for the sweat, and the markings on the sweat that all point to 60s or newer for me.

senoreme

New in Town
Anyone have an opinion on the newer Stetson hats. I am new to hats and will be traveling to Brazil soon. It will be very hot and humid this time of year. I was considering buying the Stetson Dega and the Kangol Tropic 504, just for Summer travel. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart