Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jpw42

New in Town
I would love any info on this hat.

It is one of the many hats that belonged to my grandpa. Also i was wondering were a person could get a hat restored? It would be rather important to me that the hat stays as close to original as possible. At the very newest it would be from the 50s. It would be very likely that the hat was from Italy because my grandpa was a pasta manufacture and was often buying equipment from Italy. I can easily take more photos if needed.
Thanks in advance for any information.
James Williams

116076658_photobucket_1829_.jpg

116076658_photobucket_1830_.jpg

116076658_photobucket_1831_.jpg

It looks like a Borsalino. Would be nice if the paper tag wasn't torn. The torn side would show if the Borsalino name was present giving a better idea if it was early 50s or older. Also photos of the liner and sweatband might be helpful. Borsalinos are hard to date because of their consistency (liners, logos, sweatbands, ect).

Might only need a steam and brush to get it looking nice. Is the sweatband / liner damaged? The sweat looks a bit cracked so might need some conditioning. Again more detailed photos would help. BTW nice hat!

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is one of the many hats that belonged to my grandpa. Also i was wondering were a person could get a hat restored? It would be rather important to me that the hat stays as close to original as possible. At the very newest it would be from the 50s. It would be very likely that the hat was from Italy because my grandpa was a pasta manufacture and was often buying equipment from Italy. I can easily take more photos if needed.
Thanks in advance for any information.
James Williams
116076658_photobucket_1830_.jpg

]

Lots of hatters will work on it for you. BTW I think it is worth the effort. both for its intrnsic quality, and for the sentimental value. You could wear it! One place would be Greeley Hat Works in Colordado. You should resign yourself to mailing it out for service if you want work done on it.

frussell

One Too Many
sulla - ditto on the no steam needed. Here's what I do, similar to above. I use distilled water especially if it's a light-colored hat, so no mineral residue. I spray the entire hat, top and bottom (of the brim at least, sometimes the inside of the crown if needed), then pat the excess off with clean towels or paper towels. I find that if I leave it overwet, it's more of a pain to work with. When it's damp, but not wet anymore, I shape away and let it dry on my head. I also have no mirrors near my stove, or shaping area, so I do a little in the bathroom mirror, and a little by eyeball while holding it. It's not hard at all, and won't shrink your sweatband like steam can if you fudge it up. Good luck. Frank

T Rick

Practically Family
Hi guys, informative thread. I've searched, and not found THE answer I'm looking for, hopefully this will "git 'er done".

I have an Akubra Campdraft (BG) coming from Oz. It's a size 57, and I'm between a 57 and 56 often. I want to be prepared for it's arrival with material to place behind the sweatband if needed for fitting. I've seen mention of
1. Scott Shop Towels (not my favorite option).
2. Felt (seems to be the way Professional Hatters go when nec., yes?)
3. Foam (referenced in the Campdraft thread, but no further info).

What would you use, and even more importantly, can you suggest a source that I might pick some up before my Campdraft arrives?

Thanks!

hapholliday

New in Town
Hi, I'm a new member here and, of course, need help in answering a question. I know the hat that I'm wearing in my avatar is not the greatest but I LOVE it and I don't know what kind of hat it is. It does not have the taller crown or thick band found on so many fedoras. I want to get another just like it, but haven't had any luck with my searching since I don't know what it is. I suppose the crown could have been punched in a bit, but I'd like to hear what you experts can tell me.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
The hat doesn't appear to be anything unusual. Please post better photos so that we can better answer your questions. Welcome to the Lounge, hapholliday ...

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Correct. You need to upload them to photobucket or such. Then copy and paste the IMG code from the host into your Lounge post.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I want to be prepared for it's arrival with material to place behind the sweatband if needed for fitting. I've seen mention of

What would you use, and even more importantly, can you suggest a source that I might pick some up before my Campdraft arrives?

I like option two. If you don't want to get some felt at a cloth store and cut your own, you can get ready made strips at the site below. This fact was just mentioned by Egghead in another thread.

http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_info.php?products_id=69

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
OK we see 'em now. That's what we generally call around here a Stratoliner style, an Open Road style, or even more generally, a thin ribbon style.

Does your hat have any markings inside (on the liner or sweatband) to indicate the model or make?

hapholliday

New in Town
Yes, it does. It says Royal Deluxe Open Road. I didn't know if that was a style, or just one company's name for it. Thanks for your help! I'd like to find another wider brimmed hat similar to this.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi guys, informative thread. I've searched, and not found THE answer I'm looking for, hopefully this will "git 'er done".

I have an Akubra Campdraft (BG) coming from Oz. It's a size 57, and I'm between a 57 and 56 often. I want to be prepared for it's arrival with material to place behind the sweatband if needed for fitting. I've seen mention of

Thanks!

Alright, T Rick, here we go:

There's no right way to pad a sweatband. It is, in its vary nature, a makeshift solution. Members on the lounge have mentioned many methods in the past. Over the time I've been here, I've heard of felt strips, foam strips, tissue paper, newspaper, stuffing from stuffed animals (still confused about that one lol)...

The point is that the only thing you need to worry about is how comfortable your solution is. At first I used foam strips offered by EA (the ones offered by DM are nearly identical). I then used folded tissue paper when natural wear and comformation made the gaps smaller.

Personally, I think tissue paper or newspaper would be good choices, or the aforementioned felt/foam strips from a retailer. I'm sure you can find something similar at any hobby store, Walmart, etc...

Here's an interesting video offered by Akubra on their website. The relevant portion for you begins at 1:00 minutes, when the Akubra representative explains a simple method for packing the sweatband:
[video=youtube;e8ZWy3HfT7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8ZWy3HfT7w[/video]

The only right way to pack a sweatband is the one that you find most convenient and comfortable. That does, however, leave YOU to go and find it.

T Rick

Practically Family
hapholliday, that''s a great looking hat. Thin ribbon's seem quite popular around here (have a look at mention of the Akubra Campdraft as one example).

Can a Noob welcome another Noob to the site? Let's find out. Welcome to the Fedora Lounge! :welcome:

BTW, if you click the picture frame icon when making a post, and then add in your link (after erasing the http:// that always shows up in the window by default), your pics will appear directly in your post.

...rent%3Dme3.jpg

You can do the same by just adding the tags
on each end of the link location.

Yes, it does. It says Royal Deluxe Open Road. I didn't know if that was a style, or just one company's name for it. Thanks for your help! I'd like to find another wider brimmed hat similar to this.

I've had vintage Stetson Open Roads in brim widths from 2 to 3 inches, most common was 2 3/4 inches.
Depending on your head size, there should be plenty out there. Good hunting.

The closest modern day factory equivalent is an Akubra Campdraft, sold in Australia.
The modern Stetson Open Roads aren't like that Royal Deluxe vintage one you have.
There is a thread about all the different other manufacturers models that copied the Open Road style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou