Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I really don't want to poke holes in my hat, but if I cut the stem down im afraid the back won't grab. I have put a different pin on for now, with a shorter stem. Are the pinch/clutch backs not the best types of pin back to use? What else is there available?

Cedric,
To get a pin to set flat against the ribbon and crown, the pin would have to go thru the felt but then you would have the clasp/button part of the pin sticking out into the sweat and possibly your head. Might be just a bit irritating for sure. Go to a store that sells western hats and see how the clasp part of one of the JBS branding iron pins that you can get on some Stetson westerns is configured and ask how they are attached. I'm not a hat pin user on my felts but do have several pearl stickpins on the silk puggs on my Montecristi Panamas but they go into the hat band only.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I can't recall if we ever found the answer to this one:

Lee "color labels"
Blue was $10
White was $15

Where did the Black label quality fall?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I can't recall if we ever found the answer to this one:

Lee "color labels"
Blue was $10
White was $15

Where did the Black label quality fall?

Damn these Snippet teasers..
$7.50 seems to come up more than once
5487151482_d7a9554639_z.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Cool. Thanks for finding that, rlk.

Jeff, if you can get it and post it, I'd love to see what's there.

I seem to recall seeing a photo (posted by gtdean I think) of modifications done to a Fed IV to make it into a thin ribbon hat. I am thinking it was done by Major Moore but I can't find the thread or a picture. Has anyone else here put a thin ribbon on a Fed or perhaps even a leather hat band. Any photos you can share. Would putting a thin black leather hatband (3/4 inch at most and very plain) on a moonstone Fed IV be going a little too far?

Why you ask would I ever conceive of such a travesty? I'm just not getting much use out of the moonstone and I think the larger ribbon and bow make me feel it is just a bit too formal. Love the hat, love the tight pinch, want to wear it more.

Back home on the real PC...here you go..
fed4_1.jpg

fed4_2.jpg

fed4_3.jpg

Sending to Clean A Hat for an Open Road type ribbon treatment...

DRB

One Too Many
I have just started experimenting with hat pins/tie tack pins on my Penman, since I don't wear ties often anymore. What im finding is that either im wearing them wrong, the pin length is too long, or im just worrying about nothing.

So...here is my current pin-is the pin length too long or am I worried about nothing?

The pin sticks out too much.

I have been thinking of putting a cross on one of mine. It is a WWII Army Chaplains insignia cross, 1" tall. I am not sure if I dare do it, but I was thinking of breaking the pins off and using super glue to affix the cross to the ribbon. As a disabled combat vet, it kinda means something to me.
WorldWarTwoUnitedStatesArmyChaplainbranchcollarinsigniaforofficerranksDiestruckinsterlingsilver1inchtallby58inchesacrossinsizeMakermarked-1.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Nice, gtdean! I'm thinking about having the brim on my Moonstone Fed trimmed back a bit and a narrower ribbon, say a 3/4", in the same or a little darker gray, put on. I think it will make it a little dressier. If I want casual, I have the carbon gray Fed and my Open Road and Stratoliner clones with thin ribbons.

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
What does the burma color of the Christy's Foldaway resemble?

In some light I see mostly green, them in the next light the brown tones jump out at you. So Greenish brown which I think equates to khaki. Very versatile.

Now the hatband is much more brown. Perhaps puce describes it.

Have you browsed online photos on Noggintops or Villagehatshop? They do look very different so it is chameleon like in nature.

ph33nyx

New in Town
I've seen several pictures and each one seemed different, that's why I asked. I thought that someone that has one would be better able to describe it.
Thanks

Duper

Practically Family
I've seen several pictures and each one seemed different, that's why I asked. I thought that someone that has one would be better able to describe it.
Thanks

ph33nyx, I was looking at my burma coloured Foldaway as I was describing the colour. As I passed from one rooms lighting to the next it changed. Shades of a colour are very subjective. Midnight blue, jet black they all have their nuances but at 10 feet in the shade I'm not sure I could pick which was which.

I can measure the brim size or crown height, but colour is difficult to describe. Now if we are talking about a Ferrari red Foldaway it would have been easier, but unfortunately I don't have one of those to compare it too. Burma is a versatile greenish brown. Sorry, best I can do.

Perhaps other Foldaway owners would like to take a crack at it.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
:arated:

It can blend with lots of colors which you want in a traveller.

Agreed -- it is a very versatile color. That burma foldaway is almost identical in terms of felt/ribbon colors to my vintage Lee Adventure.

In the 80's, Stetson hats came in a color called "Bark" -- which was a similar mixture of brown and green -- leaning toward green. These days, in terms of Winchester felt, the closest color to Bark is "Pecan."

Cheers,
JtL

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Agreed -- it is a very versatile color. That burma foldaway is almost identical in terms of felt/ribbon colors to my vintage Lee Adventure.

In the 80's, Stetson hats came in a color called "Bark" -- which was a similar mixture of brown and green -- leaning toward green. These days, in terms of Winchester felt, the closest color to Bark is "Pecan."

JtL

Agreed. I owned a Foldaway, very nice hat that went with almost every outfit. The Brooklyn Bridge took it away from me. That and a Modern Borsalino. That ba***rd bridge! :( lol

Noble Savage Vintage

New in Town
Can anyone help me with information on this hat brand?

Hi all. I am new to this thread and am trying to learn about some hats I have purchased. Most are Dobb's and Stetson, but I am stumped by this London brand Platinum Beaver hat. Does anyone have any information on the company?

Thanks!

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DRB

One Too Many
I recently received a beaver pelt that has air dried but not tanned. Can anyone tell me how to shave the pelt to harvest the fur for use on building a hat for my son? Do I take off the top and just use the wooly area underneath the dark brown exterior? Do I just shear everything off down to the skin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael