Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I just registered. I have been a fan of old-time hats for a while and was delighted to have found this site.
My question concerns the homburg-style hat. I've read that it is considered more formal than a fedora.
I found and ordered a beautiful homburg from Christy's hats in bessemer color( 2 week lead time, still waiting).
I'm thinking of using it as an every-day hat during the autumn and winter (I have a panama for summer)
Would it be appropriate to wear a homburg this way (ie. not with a suit, I normally wear a collared shirt, no tie
and a longer grey overcoat), or will I be committing a faux-pas?

maybe a faux-pas in 1946, but personally I like the look of a nice hat in a casual setting.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for you historically informed members. I picked up an old fedora supposedly accompanied by its original box. The box is dated 1939 and is an Adam product with great old graphics of various sports. The hat, however, doesn't say Adam anywhere on it. It says "The Longworth - Created by Long's" on the liner, and the sweat has "The Celebrated Long's Hats 'Wear like the Name'". Searching for clues behind the sweat turned up an original price sticker of $4.40 and the address; 663 Broadway, NYC.

My question is whether Adam ever made private-labeled hats for Long's, which would support the box/hat match, or whether Longworth hats were there own entity. My Google searches haven't sussed anything out. Any information would be most appreciated. :)

frussell

One Too Many
Popps235 - the answer is no, that's way too much "padding up," and will look very silly. You should definitely sell any 7 7/8 hats right away. Preferrably to me. I might even have a decent Open Road in your size that I bought for my wife. Plus, get your post count up so greedy, cranially-endowed folks like myself can just PM you instead of posting here! On a serious note, I feel your pain, as my grandfather wore beautiful westerns and left many behind, but all about 5 sizes too small for me. Frank

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I have a question for you historically informed members. I picked up an old fedora supposedly accompanied by its original box. The box is dated 1939 and is an Adam product with great old graphics of various sports. The hat, however, doesn't say Adam anywhere on it. It says "The Longworth - Created by Long's" on the liner, and the sweat has "The Celebrated Long's Hats 'Wear like the Name'". Searching for clues behind the sweat turned up an original price sticker of $4.40 and the address; 663 Broadway, NYC.

My question is whether Adam ever made private-labeled hats for Long's, which would support the box/hat match, or whether Longworth hats were there own entity. My Google searches haven't sussed anything out. Any information would be most appreciated. :)

This ad from the Youngstown Vindicator from December 22, 1942, should answer your question: (found through the Google News Archive search, BTW. You just weren't looking in the right place.:))
AdamLongs1942.jpg

Brad

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I need to clean a nasty smudge on the front of a brim ribbon.

I looked around and even tried the search, but came up with no luck.

I tried an eraser, some soap and water.... I'm thinking that some lighter fluid might work?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a solution, unfortunately, but I'll piggyback on your question. What kind of smudge is it? I have one stained ribbon that water, soap, and steam won't help either.

appa69

New in Town
Resistol 880 pin?

Hi, all. Long time reader, first time poster. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the style of pin that would have originally appeared on a Resistol 880? Would it have been similar to the one on a 737? Or more akin to the one on a 990? I haven't been able to find much info.

Thanks!

J.B.

Practically Family
...I was wondering if anyone could tell me the style of pin that would have originally appeared on a Resistol 880?...

Welcome! I blanked out finding a pic, too.

I see eBay hat seller "rilico" sold a Resistol 880 complete with the pin on August 20, 2010 but the pictures no longer remain. He had mentioned "...I've seen several Resistol 880's, but this is the first one I've seen with the enameled bronze 880 pin on the hatband bow. An extra jet-age touch, unique to this hat model!..." in the listing.

Since he is usually very meticulous in his descriptions -- I'll bet he has a picture of that elusive pin somewhere in his archives?! Maybe someone who knows him could ask?

But for sure -- someone in this august body owns one, I'll bet!

:peace:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I need to clean a nasty smudge on the front of a brim ribbon.

I looked around and even tried the search, but came up with no luck.

I tried an eraser, some soap and water.... I'm thinking that some lighter fluid might work?

Ribbon fabric due to the way it is made does not clean well. It might be best to send to an expert to clean.

mattface

Practically Family
A couple quick questions about cleaning my Panama: My panama from Bob's has become my favorite summer hat, but I sweat a lot the fabric sweatband has stained the hat. Maybe there's no way to get that off, but if anyone has any tips to make it less pronounced I would appreciate it. Also, the sweatband has taken on a odor. I'm currently drying it flipped up in the sun, but is there any safe way to clean it and/or neutralize the odor?

Sweaty sweat by mattface, on Flickr

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Anyone know when Stevens put ribbons on the back of their fedoras? I have a Pacesetter that I'm thinking is maybe around the 50's or 60's??

Is Stevens a well known name?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael