Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ianthepilot

New in Town
'Evening all,

I'm a new member here at the Lounge, so I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything improper by making a specific kind of post.
You see, I live out in the middle of nowhere and I've got no transportation of my own so I can't just go out and buy a nice hat, and I'm leery of internet transactions involving money, so I've taken it upon myself to make my own fedora. I want to start a small thread somewhere if possible with a few pictures of where my pet project is at presently and ask you the experts if what I've been working on is a bust or if it has the potential I hope it does.
Is there any problem with that?

A new hat is (or may be) another matter. I thought the question was about purchasing a hat and hatbox on eBay. In this case, if you want the box to be protected, it will need to be double boxed.
Didn't see anything about purchasing a hat box in the initial question post. The exact initial question did not mention ebay, just simply "when shipping a hat in a hat box...". The OP did mention his experiences of ebay purchases but seemed to be asking in general about shipping a hat....

scooter

Practically Family
How does one eliminate the puckers (loose spots) at the top of the ribbon, when replacing an old ribbon with a new one?

Ianthepilot

New in Town
I'm trying to make a thread with pictures of my project, but for some reason the url of my image sharing site isn't being accepted. Is Flickr not compatible here? I can't even upload the photos I have from my computer directly, something about them being 'undefined'.
Is there some way to get around these issues that I don't know about?

Ianthepilot

New in Town
It looks like I can still put hyperlinks into the posts. It isn't nearly as streamlined as I would like, but it works(?), and hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to get things working properly, or get some assistance. Thank you, Wiser Hatter.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, let me rephrase the question then. I just sold my Stetson Temple in the Classifieds. I have also a modern Stetson hatbox that is going to go with it.

DSC05500Small.jpg

Double box it?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yes. Either that, or offer to ship the hat without the hat box, which would allow you to use a smaller packing box and save the buyer money on postage. Most hat boxes have no chance of surviving the mail. The ones that probably could survive the trip deserve a little coddling.

I'm trying to make a thread with pictures of my project, but for some reason the url of my image sharing site isn't being accepted. Is Flickr not compatible here? I can't even upload the photos I have from my computer directly, something about them being 'undefined'.
Is there some way to get around these issues that I don't know about?

Click on the insert image tool and select from URL. Paste your image URL in the field and be sure to unclick the Retrieve remote file and reference locally box. Your image should appear in your post.

hope that helps!

job

One Too Many
Has anyone have any experience with shrinestyle.com and their argentinian fedoras. They also have some nice stetson newsboy caps.

Has anyone have any experience with shrinestyle.com and their argentinian fedoras. They also have some nice stetson newsboy caps.

Job,

That site sells Lagomarsino hats from Argentina. I bought 2 Lagomarsinos from Argentina about 6 years ago. They are listed as nutria quality, which I took to mean made of nutria fur. They looked pretty nice when I bought them, and I wore them in all kinds of weather. Unfortunately, over time, they both began to taper extensively. After a while, they looked almost odd, so I got rid of them. Maybe they weren't meant for so much moisture exposure, but I would think Nutria would handle water as well as beaver. Maybe the quality has changed since then.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
If it is cotton and rayon grosgrain ribbon, as it should be, I get the ribbon (especially the top) wet by spraying with distilled water and drying it quickly with a hair dryer.......snugges the band right down

Spoiler

scooter

Practically Family
Thanks Spoiler! By the way, I sent you a PM and an email, did you notice them? Might have gone to your junk mail as I'm not in your contacts list.

scooter (Rob)

Ianthepilot

New in Town
Thanks alanfgag, I was finally able to figure out what was going wrong. I wasn't unclicking the box mentioned, and I was including the wrong URL. Now I should be able to put the pictures up in my posts properly.

Now I just need to figure out why in-house links from thread to thread always redirect me to random threads, and what the requirements are to get a profile picture put up (some sort of privilege?[huh]) and with luck I'll be a regular here at the Lounge.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou