Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Am I correct that the classifieds is a sales board and not a WTB board as well? I don't think I've seen a WTB post in the classifieds yet, though there may have been some that I didn't notice. Is there a place to post WTB posts? Or not done in the Lounge?

Wanted to Buy ads are allowed and common in the Lounge Classifieds.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
What kind of hat is this? It's Hannibal Lecter's from the film Hannibal. But I can't tell if it's a Fedora, or a Panama
Hannibal.jpg

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Saw a derby on Ebay yesterday that said size 8 in the heading, but further reading revealed the truth: 7 1/8. Almost PM'ed you without reading the details . . .

I find that unless I actually see a size 8 (or 64) tag in a photo, I need to ask them how they measured the hat. (I usually think to myself, "And...how did you get '8' with that?!!") The last mistake was a woman who read "1/2" and somehow thought it was a size 8. Ugh!

Fedora fan,
I think the Hanibal hat is a panama by the look of it.

The picture of Whitman is probably mid 19th century, so his had would be a slouch type hat, similar to what a Civil War soldier might wear. This is a photo of him obviously late in life with a neat hat on and interesting "bash".
Walt-Whitman-001.jpg

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
Sometimes you have to wonder:

'Lessee, . . . one slash two . . . that must mean eight!':rolleyes:

The best part was that she said, "when we measured it with a soft tape all the way around, it measured at 8." Really? You got a "hat size measuring tape?" I also have to caution people not to measure the diameter of the interior of the hat!

randooch

I'll Lock Up
A question for you Mac users: How do you get a photo to post full size? Mine all appear like this:
DSCF1541.jpg

I've tried resizing them on photobucket before posting, but it does no good. Thanks for any suggestions.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone ordered a newsboy from the Hat People? Or is there a thread on these hats? I'm thinking of getting one of the extra full cut and wanted some feedback on it.

Magister

Familiar Face
I've decided to try wearing a hat, and am looking about for my first. Are there any general guidelines for choosing a hat style to compliment one's personal style and physique? I am drawn to porkpies, but I'm not sure if I can pull one off well.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
I've decided to try wearing a hat, and am looking about for my first. Are there any general guidelines for choosing a hat style to compliment one's personal style and physique? I am drawn to porkpies, but I'm not sure if I can pull one off well.

There's a saying that you'll come across, if you haven't already: "Saying you don't look good in a hat is like saying you don't look good in shoes!"

I'm sure others will offer their advice regarding the shape of your face and how some are better with wide brims or short brims, etc.... I don't have all that info, since I've only gotten into this in the past few months. But, I'd bet that if I saw a picture of you wearing a porkpie hat, I'd probably think you looked good. I say if you're drawn to porkpies, start there.

Oh....and Tom, above, has an excellent point! If you can try on different styles with someone to help you, that's a big plus!

Last edited:

BR Gordon

One Too Many
A question for you Mac users: How do you get a photo to post full size? Mine all appear like this:
DSCF1541.jpg

I've tried resizing them on photobucket before posting, but it does no good. Thanks for any suggestions.

I use ImageShack and I resize the photos at the time that I upload them. I’ve had no luck resizing once they are in the hoisting site. If I don’t like the finished size of the photo I upload the photo again adjusting the size. I use the 640X480 size, which is noted as “for message boards”. I hope this helps.

BR

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I use ImageShack and I resize the photos at the time that I upload them. I’ve had no luck resizing once they are in the hoisting site. If I don’t like the finished size of the photo I upload the photo again adjusting the size. I use the 640X480 size, which is noted as “for message boards”. I hope this helps.

BR

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
Porkies RULE so go get one if you need more encouragement take a gander at the porkpie thread , in the long run if you are like most of us you will wind up with at least a few different hats any how. i cant wait to see you in one.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars

Hey, I just remembered seeing this web page on Miller Hats that compares people's face shapes to hat styles. Use it for reference or just have fun reading.... http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80