Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mjslarue

New in Town
I just joined the lounge, I Found an old hat in my Aunts attic that belonged to my uncle. So I joined to be able to send some pictures and get some info. I think this is my 4th post and I need 6 more to add a pic?? so I will reply some more and hope to get some info on my uncles hat. It is in a old box, but hat looks new???

Go ahead and post your photos. That can be done on your first post, if you want. They must first be uploaded to a third party, like Photobucket.

It's PM'ing and photos direct from your computer that require more posts first. If I'm wrong, someone will correct me (please)...

jessapar22

New in Town
Thanks for your response hatsRme!! I have been trying to upload the pics of my fedora, but it won't let me!! It just keeps says I don't have approval. But, my account on here has been activated. I got the conferm email last night!! Could maybe I email them to you or something?? Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon!! ---Jessapar22

fedoracentric

Banned
Here is one I have not seen answered... So, we have all seen the red interior, hard-sided Stetson cases that have the gold stenciling that says "Stetson 100" in them. Sure. Obviously a Stetson 100 case. Easy.

Buuuuuttt....

I have also seen a very, very few hard-sided Stetson hat cases with a white interior and just with the word "Stetson" stenciled in it (in the same style lettering as the red-interiored Stetson 100 boxes). These white interior ones also don't ever seem to have the little Stetson name plate in front between the latches, either.

So, anybody know what these white interior ones are?

Are they just rather rare or uncommon Stetson 100 cases, or were they for some other hat?

Anybody have a clue?

Here is one I have not seen answered... So, we have all seen the red interior, hard-sided Stetson cases that have the gold stenciling that says "Stetson 100" in them. Sure. Obviously a Stetson 100 case. Easy. Buuuuuttt.... I have also seen a very, very few hard-sided Stetson hat cases with a white interior and just with the word "Stetson" stenciled in it (in the same style lettering as the red-interiored Stetson 100 boxes). These white interior ones also don't ever seem to have the little Stetson name plate in front between the latches, either. So, anybody know what these white interior ones are? Are they just rather rare or uncommon Stetson 100 cases, or were they for some other hat? Anybody have a clue?

i don't know the answer but I'll throw this in for discussion sake. In the manufacture of goods, the maker sometimes finds thaqt they have parts left over from model manufacturing runs. Sometimes they willcobble together versions that use parts from previous runs. The question is if the logo stencil for Stetson 100 is different than the regular Stetson stencil logo. They may have cut off the "100" portion to utilize the Stetson portion only to make a run of cases. It happens with many items. there were fountain pens made during the depression and WWII that were literally "parts" pens. During the depression they used stock on hand to make pens because it represented money on the shelf. Diuring WWII they had parts pens because again they had parts on the shelf but some materials were no longer available because they were allocated to other industries. Same with the phone company re-issuing the Western Electric 202 during WWII. If a company is being frugal or has a need to get parts off the shelves and sold they will utilize components and make out of the ordinary versions of some items.

fedoracentric

Banned
I believe the boxes without the "100" mark were a Stetson hat accessory sold separately.
I guess that is possible. Of course, I thought I read somewhere here that even the Stetson 100 cases were sold separately and that not every Stetson 100 hat automatically came in the hardsided case. In fact, it would not be a very smart business decision to give away the hard sided cases for just a $100 hat, I wouldn't think.

I also remember seeing on a thread here that even Knox and Lee sold the fancier boxes separately. One ad I remember seeing said something about the fancy box being sold separately, anyway.

It would make sense for them to be sold separately.

Anyway, I just found the white interior Stetson cases odd.

Still hoping for more solid info.

Thanks so far, folks.

buler

I'll Lock Up
I guess that is possible. Of course, I thought I read somewhere here that even the Stetson 100 cases were sold separately and that not every Stetson 100 hat automatically came in the hardsided case. In fact, it would not be a very smart business decision to give away the hard sided cases for just a $100 hat, I wouldn't think.

I also remember seeing on a thread here that even Knox and Lee sold the fancier boxes separately. One ad I remember seeing said something about the fancy box being sold separately, anyway.

It would make sense for them to be sold separately.

Anyway, I just found the white interior Stetson cases odd.

Still hoping for more solid info.

Thanks so far, folks.

See this thread, Stetson Beaver 100, for some comparison shots between a red and white interior case. This example white case came with a Beaver 100 hat. It has the "100", but not the Stetson plaque between the handles. I don't remember anyone having any evidence that these cases were sold separately or that some 100's came with no case. But I haven't read every post on the lounge.

B

fedoracentric

Banned
See this thread, Stetson Beaver 100, for some comparison shots between a red and white interior case.

B

Ah, that is the thread I remember seeing. I forgot that it was from the "Beaver 100." That one on that thread is exactly like the one I saw only with the exception that the "100" did not appear stenciled on the inside lid under the name Setson. Otherwise it seems exactly the same, same dimensions, lacking the little name plate on the outside, everything.

As to jlee562's point, I guess I conflated the ads on a thread that said Knox (I think it was Knox) sold its fancy hat cases separately. Maybe I mixed that up.

Anyway, it sure seems like an expensive proposition to give away for free those hardsided cases with a hat!

Thanks all for the help here.

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Anyone ever trimmed the brim on an akubra cattleman? This might be something I would like to attempt if it ain't too challenging and it looks decent. If anyone has pics I would sure be glad to see em if it's not too much trouble. Also how would one go about this endeavour and what tools would one need. I'm sure the process has been covered so a link would be nice. Thanks and God bless

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Comparing a 7X CB/Fifty to a 100, there is a jump but not justifying double the price. The case could easily be included for the $100 when that was a considerable sum. It wasn't free but included for the price.

Good point.

IIRC, adjusted for inflation, the 100 cost in the neighborhood of $750 in today's dollar.

Anyone ever trimmed the brim on an akubra cattleman? This might be something I would like to attempt if it ain't too challenging and it looks decent. If anyone has pics I would sure be glad to see em if it's not too much trouble. Also how would one go about this endeavour and what tools would one need. I'm sure the process has been covered so a link would be nice. Thanks and God bless

There are a number of threads with brim trimming guides, also check the cowboy conversions thread. it can be done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats