Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epemethius

New in Town
Wear a bowler high or low?

Images from 1910 and earlier show bowlers usually worn high on the head, a good distance above the ears.
Current images usually show the bowler worn just above or touching the ears. Current historical movies and TV show the hat like that, just above the ears.

A 7 1/8 bowler would sit high on my head, a 7 1/4 would be a bit loose. I do not think these hard hats can be stretched.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Wear a bowler high or low?

Images from 1910 and earlier show bowlers usually worn high on the head, a good distance above the ears.
Current images usually show the bowler worn just above or touching the ears. Current historical movies and TV show the hat like that, just above the ears.

A 7 1/8 bowler would sit high on my head, a 7 1/4 would be a bit loose. I do not think these hard hats can be stretched.

If I wanted one and 7 1/4 would be too loose , and 7 1/8 sits too high , I'd get "Ye Ole" Weather Stripping Foam and adjust it , if the fit wasn't right . Its cheap , and works .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
No, Derbies should not be stretched. Prevailing fashion that early in the century was to wear a hat higher on one's head, regardless of the hat style. It's probably better to go with modern sensibilities and wear it lower.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

You have a Nice Bowler Brad in your Avatar . Sage advice . Thanks for All the Great Info ! Are Bowlers and Derbies the same ? Just names of the same type Hat from different regions , or are there differences ?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! It's my 1920s Dobbs. No real differences in styling, though if it has a bell crown it is usually called an English bell crown. They were just named differently on each side of the Atlantic and the English Channel. The British have had the name Bowler since circa 1850=ish (I say -ish, because there are conflicting dates as to the Bowler's birth year), and the Derby name in the United States since 1860. Not to mention the Melone and other names on the Continent.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! It's my 1920s Dobbs. No real differences in styling, though if it has a bell crown it is usually called an English bell crown. They were just named differently on each side of the Atlantic and the English Channel. The British have had the name Bowler since circa 1850=ish (I say -ish, because there are conflicting dates as to the Bowler's birth year), and the Derby name in the United States since 1860. Not to mention the Melone and other names on the Continent.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Thanks Brad , I wondered . Nice Blog , too , BTW .

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I'm going to try and roll two questions into one post.

One, is anyone familiar with Staker Custom Hats? They offer a vaquero hat like I've been looking for, and have it for a pretty decent price I think. I've just never heard of them, and Google didn't turn up much. They're in Utah though, so that's a good sign.

Two, is a bound edge on an Atwood Nevada hat worth an extra $29? I really like the look, but with shipping the bound edge puts it at $96.50 for a straw hat...not just any straw hat, but the same hat I can get for $51+ shipping without the colored bound edge.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I'm going to try and roll two questions into one post.

One, is anyone familiar with Staker Custom Hats? They offer a vaquero hat like I've been looking for, and have it for a pretty decent price I think. I've just never heard of them, and Google didn't turn up much. They're in Utah though, so that's a good sign.

Two, is a bound edge on an Atwood Nevada hat worth an extra $29? I really like the look, but with shipping the bound edge puts it at $96.50 for a straw hat...not just any straw hat, but the same hat I can get for $51+ shipping without the colored bound edge.

#1 Yeah , Staker Hats , I have it Bookmarked , plus I've seen their BOP selling on eBay . The Hats look Great , and I have them following on Instagram . Nice guy I think .

#2 If you want bound , its reasonable . Some are Way More , some are a bit less . But in a Straw it is more a matter of look and contrast , where in felts it stabilizes the brim , I believe , from waving over time . I like Atwood Straws and have been looking at them myself , I like the Uncle Walter , and the Nebraska , I think , Sale Barn Hats , I believe . Style , not price Savings .

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I've been going back and forth on this depending on the day, so I figured I would just ask the peanut gallery: brim up or brim down on the BGCD?

354f0a2393fc1a37bd2c38caaedd27d2.jpg
988b2f283dd3b10a8d23bc5632ce6796.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I've been going back and forth on this depending on the day, so I figured I would just ask the peanut gallery: brim up or brim down on the BGCD?

354f0a2393fc1a37bd2c38caaedd27d2.jpg
988b2f283dd3b10a8d23bc5632ce6796.jpg

This peanut thinks it depends on your mood and situation , Both look Cool ! Rock on Eli !

If you saw how I did my Brim you might think its goofy , but I left it up and did the steam and slight tug in the front . Its still up , but down , curled (less in the nose). Capishe' ?

Last edited:

Epemethius

New in Town
No, Derbies should not be stretched. Prevailing fashion that early in the century was to wear a hat higher on one's head, regardless of the hat style. It's probably better to go with modern sensibilities and wear it lower.

Brad
~The Hatted Professor

Thank you for the historical note. The hats sitting higher do look odd now. I will go with the 7 1/4 and pad the headband if I want to go retro at model train shows. Kinda fun to dress the part as a volunteer.

fard muhammad

New in Town
Greetings. I'm in the market for a new hat. For the last several years, I've been wearing a crushable wool hat from a company called "K-Hats", which seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. It's an outback-style hat with a 5" crown and a 3-1/2 to 4" brim (4 when measured from underneath, 3-1/2 when measured on top). If you have any recommendations on an online retailer I can check out, it would be greatly appreciated. The hat has become a bit of a signature for me, so I'd like to have as similar a style as possible. Thanks.

fm

Welcome, fard. You'll get an education on hats here, from a lot of folks, without judgement but not a lot of support for crushable wools. I'd suggest you start by checking out Akubras. They have a nice website and several trusted retailers used by many here. Everything Australian is a good one.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Greetings. I'm in the market for a new hat. For the last several years, I've been wearing a crushable wool hat from a company called "K-Hats", which seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. It's an outback-style hat with a 5" crown and a 3-1/2 to 4" brim (4 when measured from underneath, 3-1/2 when measured on top). If you have any recommendations on an online retailer I can check out, it would be greatly appreciated. The hat has become a bit of a signature for me, so I'd like to have as similar a style as possible. Thanks.

fm

Based on your description, I would check out the Akubra Lawson and Akubra Banjo Paterson. However, neither one has a brim quite that large, but they are quintessential outback hats with generous brims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou