Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aspartame and You

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Any one else avoiding anything with aspartame?

I know everyone had such trouble with the partially hydrated oil thread, I wonder what the view point is here with Aspartame?

I for one avoid both.

Steve

Practically Family
I do my best to steer clear of it. I rarely drink dark sodas anyway, and anything diet tastes like like dregs anyway.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I try to avoid anything that's artificial and therefore bogus :mad: .

I once read an article about how pathologists noted that when world war one era 18 year old KIA's were autopsied, there was absolutely no indications of arterial sclerosis. But the same age group from the Vietnam War showed the beginnings of cardio vascular disease, due to the shift in diet.
Natural farm raised foods of 1917, versus the artificial foods of later years.

Feraud

Bartender
We try to avoid artificial sweetners. The markets are so loaded with this and high fructose stuff that I have a hard time finding something sweetened with good ol' fashioned sugar! :eusa_doh:

Nashoba

One Too Many
for the record: Having read the primary literature, I have trouble believeing the hype about aspartame.[/QUOTE]

I asked about this when I went in for all my diagnostic crap and my doctor said that even with the medications they were about to put me on it didn't really matter. He said as long as I'm not allergic to it, it should pose any health issues. We don't generally drink soda anyway and I don't cook too many pre-packaged foods though so avoiding it isn't really much of an issue for us.
Nash

geo

One time I was seated at a table in a restaurant, and having nothing better to do, I started reading the aspartame package. It sais that it should not be taken without your doctor's advice.

Rosie

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
I try to avoid anything that's artificial and therefore bogus :mad: .

I once read an article about how pathologists noted that when world war one era 18 year old KIA's were autopsied, there was absolutely no indications of arterial sclerosis. But the same age group from the Vietnam War showed the beginnings of cardio vascular disease, due to the shift in diet.
Natural farm raised foods of 1917, versus the artificial foods of later years.

This is very intresting. I try my best to steer clear of artificial anything. I don't drink soda or prepackaged prepared foods.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I don't have any problem with artifical sweeteners (especially Splenda), as I realize that every thing we ingest is chemicals. Doesn't matter a lot whether it's hamburger or medication, everything breaks down into components.

The important thing is not to load up too much on ANY food or food group; therefore, I am trying to reduce my aspartame intake. I've had an occasional skipped heartbeat, and it's either too much caffeine or (according to some of the hyperbolic horror stories I've read online) aspartame.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Health risk: nonsense. And as opposed to polysaccharides, the risk of diarrhoea is neglectable, isn't it?

Taste: much better than saccharine, let alone cyclamate. Not as good as sugar, sure, but if you don't take sugar, you probably have a reason.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
For the most part, what I consume is all natural. But I do put a packet of splenda in my coffee every morning.
I'm glad this subject came up since I have recently been wondering whether I should go ahead and buy plain cane sugar.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Feraud said:
The markets are so loaded with this and high fructose stuff that I have a hard time finding something sweetened with good ol' fashioned sugar! :eusa_doh:

TOtally! What ever happened to good old cane sugar! Give my a pound of that stuff over corn strup anyday, please:rolleyes:

LD

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
TOtally! What ever happened to good old cane sugar! Give my a pound of that stuff over corn strup anyday, please:rolleyes:

LD

Have you read those reports about how it could very well be the wide use of corn syrup instead of sugar that's causing the obesity epidemic by mucking up metabolism? Very interesting. It galls me every single day when I think about the corners that are cut in the food industry. Even when I am buying pet food it makes me mad that they put so much rubbish into everything. And not a second thought about the long term. It's all in the name of saving money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace