Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Astaire vs Kelly?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My mother had a total blind spot for Fred, whenever his name was mentioned, she would always say one word "Cadaverous". But I'm happy to say she totally failed to put me off him. IF I had to choose one (an odious thought!) I'd choose Fred. I just think there was more to the personna he projected when he danced.
Now, may I really stir up the stew pot, and suggest that the Nicholas brothers could out dance either Fred or Gene? Now both Fred and Gene did other things. Fred did a lot of his own choreography, and Gene directed several films, so comparisons are really not fair. However, I still stick by my aformentioned opinion.

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
For me it's Fred Astaire in every which ways!!! He was so elegant, so funny... A genius!!! I think I saw the majority of his films!!!

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
My mother had a total blind spot for Fred, whenever his name was mentioned, she would always say one word "Cadaverous".

I'd have to agree with your mom! lol I never liked Astaire, he'd be the one element in my favorite movies that threw them off. Sure, I admire his dancing style, he was truly gifted, but the man himself is a bit weasely, sneaky, advantageous. Kelly though--wow, what a man. So genuine and kind. And funny. That's a big thing for me. Despite his trademark moves that could get a bit sappy and overdone, he has a special place with me... ;)

Meggan_Lane

Familiar Face
Fred had the talent and Gene had the charm/sex appeal...not to mention that they were both charming AND talented but that is the way I see it.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
Fred Astaire has always been my favourite dancer,especially since his clothes look so good on him.when i was growing up,all the old men loved fred astaire,and all the old women loved gene kelly.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
My Grandad prefers Kelly, and my Gran prefers Astaire... me? I think I'd say Astaire, because I have a complete soft spot for Fred and Ginger movies (she was so lovely) and I haven't seen as much of Kelly.

xx

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
It is really like comparing apples to oranges. They both liked each other and respected each other's styles. Gene did not want to dance in a tux, he wanted clothes in which he could move more, and also preferred being in khakis and sweatshirts.

I do really like both of them, however, my preference is Gene. He was just so handsome. While I didn't know him personally, I really liked the personality of his characters - manly, chivalrous, and kind-of a normal guy.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I enjoy both, but Fred's got the edge. I think it's a case of Fred being, as others have said, more graceful, effortless, smooth, elegant. Gene's more average Joe, more athletic, more animated in his moves and motions. Sort of aristocratic vs. common folk.

woweewow

New in Town
i think donald o'connor was the best

because gene kelly always looks like he's thinking about the steps he's gonna do next, i mean he's an amazing dancer and wonderful as hell and all that but he's nowhere /near/ as fun as donald, donald really /looks/ like he just started dancing all over the place because he's happy and he wants to dance. plus gene kelly's just a bigger person which makes it harder, i mean he hasn't got any sort of light graceful body like donald or fred astaire, so of course he had to work harder to be light and everything and he did /very/ well but still.

and fred astaire of course is FRED ASTAIRE and he's all graceful and charming and elegant and all that, but you could never see him jumping around looking like he just wants to jump around and be crazy and not like he's doing it for the camera and like he rehearsed it alot. you couldn't see him being a rubberman or anything. (i guess that's sort of like that thing from the honeymooners though, the episode with norton making a list of ralph's faults, "can't speak french")

but don't get me wrong i'm completely in awe of all of them, they're my heroes, just i like donald the best is all. also it helps he was the cutest and sweetest and not any kind of stickler, i mean he wouldn't go beating up on a dance partner for not being absolutely perfect like the other two would and did.

Joe_Frances

New in Town
Astaire for style, flair with clothes, a common touch, allusions to ballet; humor; wearing a toupe without anyone really noticing; Ginger Rogers; Eric Blore; Erick Rhodes; Edward Everett Horton; good taste; did I say he looked great in his clothes?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Doctor Strange said:
I totally agree, I love both of 'em.

The one thing I will say is to observe that when I was much younger (teens/twenties), I preferred Kelly's more athletic and extroverted style. It wasn't until I had matured a bit more that I came to fully appreciate Astaire's magnificently understated grace.

Doc nailed it for me. The same thing happened as I got older - I started to admire Astaire more. The singing, the style, the clothes, and of course the dancing - Astaire had it all.

Still - its like comparing Jackie Chan to Jet Li (a Chan movie is on as I type this) - both are amazing, both have stengths & weaknesses, and it's hard to pick one over the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats