Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At the Dog Track... The Whippets

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
For that Whippet I would voluntarily let someone scalp my head and down-size me to a 7-1/8! What a beautiful color-combo ... and I love the extra ribbed effect in the centre of both ribbons. Congratulations :eusa_clap

Purplesage

One Too Many
Thanks all for the comments. I added a 1901 newspaper article about Mr. & Mrs. Wilson which I think you might find interesting. Anyone see block #702 1/2 on a Stetson before?

fedoracentric

Banned
What a cool color scheme! Even that ribbon has a special flourish. Very nice. It seems that the very early 40s whippets had much more variety than the later ones which other than changing colors were very similar in all respects.

For those who might not have seen the other Whippet offered by the seller, I've added some photos below. This mode-edge air-light shares features with my Imperial Stetson, including the fixed button wind cord, which I believe is no later than 1940 and perhaps a year or two earlier.

whippetairlight1.jpg

whippetairlight2.jpg

whippetairlight3.jpg

fedoracentric

Banned
Ha, we finally see a real live Whippet with the mode edge. If I recall we've seen newspaper advertisements selling the Whippet mode edge, but is this the first one we've ever seen?

And who got this rare bird? Or rare dog as the case may be?

I have seen two other strange Whippets, too. One had the ribbon bound edge sewn on almost like a homburg with more of it on the bottom than the top. I have also seen one with an overwelt but it isn't marked mode edge, it's a Vita Felt. Both of these are early hats and are marked "Whippet" in the script-like style on the Sweatband.

fedoracentric

Banned
I am sort of excited to get this hat. It is an early Whippet in vita felt process.

Unlike most Whippets, it doesn't have the ribbon bound edge, it is a mode edge like the Air Lite above, but not marked Mode Edge (unfortunately). It also has a very unusual ribbon for a Whippet. It has a dark gray ribbon but it also has a burgundy line running over the top and bottom of the ribbon. Most other Whippets I've seen are solid colors. There is a wind trolly string, too. And finally, it has a 1930s era brim size at 2-1/4--again different from most Whippets which are at least 2-1/2 inches or more. Also, it is the very first hat I have ever handled that still had the basting stitching over the top of the ribbon.

Stetson_Whippet_VitaFelt_DarkGray_01.jpg
Stetson_Whippet_VitaFelt_DarkGray_07.jpg
Stetson_Whippet_VitaFelt_DarkGray_05.jpg

It has this kind of info tag (note this is an example, not the actual sticker. The actual sticker in this hat is very greasy and hard to see, but it is this type).
03-stetson_stocktag_1940s.jpg

I paid about $40 more than I should have for it, maybe, but it was under $200, so maybe I did OK?

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Here is a nice little fella I picked up the other day. Not too bad of shape, some moth bites here and there, but the inside is super clean which is nice.

of2zOc.jpg

HBk0tS.jpg

OATbbS.jpg

75tlXm.jpg

Help'n out a bro, we don't want no stink'n links ;) and by the way, killer Whippet

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24