Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attached to my hat.

APETH

New in Town
Greetings gentlemen and ladies too, of course. Despite much lurking, I am new here. Next to many of you my experience is wanting, but not nonexistent. I look forward to learning much more here.

Considering that one’s rolling stone Papa now has fewer places to call home, what do you do with yours in places with no place to hang it? I thought I read in here somewhere of a device that has one end to attach to the hat and the other that could be attached to some object at hand. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you,
Michael

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
By my reasoning, if the establishment does not have at least a spare chair/table space for putting your hat it is not very respectable. If the establishment is not respectable then it is acceptable to keep your hat on.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
By my reasoning, if the establishment does not have at least a spare chair/table space for putting your hat it is not very respectable. If the establishment is not respectable then it is acceptable to keep your hat on.

My thinking exactly. I frequent a lot establishments that aren't very respectable and the hat stays on.

APETH

New in Town
avedwards said:

Your point is well taken and I have certainly made use of many a chair, not to mention keeping my hat on in some places, but there are instances when maybe your party takes up all the space at a table or fills a booth. Whatever the circustances, given the will to protect your hat a way will be found. Still, I could see instances where I would use such a device if was not too bulky to carry around.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Inusuit said:
My thinking exactly. I frequent a lot establishments that aren't very respectable and the hat stays on.

:cheers1: Good thing they let respectable folks in :D.

Do you hitch your horse out front or pay to have it tended at the stable? ;)

Wil Tam

Practically Family
hmmm...

I remember when I was a small child I had some suspender clips that kept me from loosing my mittens/gloves ... one end attaches to sleeve of coat & the other end to the mouth of mitten/glove.

I s'pose you can use something like that and just attach it on the back of your collar without it looking too dorkish [huh]

they do make something like that for ball-caps

Wil Tam said:
I remember when I was a small child I had some suspender clips that kept me from loosing my mittens/gloves ... one end attaches to sleeve of coat & the other end to the mouth of mitten/glove.

I s'pose you can use something like that and just attach it on the back of your collar without it looking too dorkish [huh]

I thnk I'd just keep it on my head... you could always use your wind trolly / lapel cord if your hat had one.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
CRH said:
:cheers1: Good thing they let respectable folks in :D.

Do you hitch your horse out front or pay to have it tended at the stable? ;)

Depends. Is there a hitch rack handy? How far from the stable to the saloon? Horse thieves active lately? Sometimes in Wyoming, we just ride the horse into the bar. And shoot out the lights.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I can sympathize with someone who wants to remove his hat at dinner. For me, it's not entirely about protocol. It's also about comfort. I am as much in the habit of removing my hat for a sit-down meal as I am in putting one on to go outside. I think it's just a conditioning thing since I have never worn a hat when I eat dinner at home so it feels odd to wear one out. Also, a certain amount of time is spent looking down when eating, and the brim blocks out the ability to maintain eye contact with others across the table.

So, I always remove my hat at a restaurant. And I always seem to find a place for it without bringing any devices. Next to me on the seat of a booth. Up on a divider between booths. Hanging on a chair back. Even, when all else fails, the floor under my chair - after I check to see there's no grease or anything overly hazardous.

Bear in mind that my hats are wearers. I don't try to sully them but I'd rather the hat get some dust on it than for me to feel awkward when dining.

Thwack

Familiar Face
I haven't had a problem yet. I don't mind setting it on the floor as long as it's out of foot traffic. I agree with Gene though, I really don't like wearing it while I eat. The only exception is if I get some grub at the bar, I have no problems wearing it at a bar.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Inusuit said:
....Sometimes in Wyoming, we just ride the horse into the bar. And shoot out the lights.

Actually horses do occasionally show up in taverns around here too ;) . There's still a good number of small towns in Iowa with hitch rings on raised sidewalks. These rings were mainly for buggies. Hitch racks for buggy less horses were usually found more to the end of the street.

leo

One of the Regulars
I now carry a spring-type wooden clothespin when I fly with a nice non-crushable hat, and clip the brim to the seat back pocket. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to attach a cord or string to one. A fancy custom-made sterling silver clip could substitute for the clothespin, I suppose.

With it you could:
--tie a clove hitch (fast, solid, easy to remove--the same as used on hitching posts for your horse);
--sit on the cord so the hat hangs to the side of the chair;
--have a small loop on the other end so you could place it quickly around a variety of sized objects by putting the clothespin through the loop before clipping to the hat;
--have a clothespin or clip or ducttape ;) on the other end.

Hmm, instead of any old cord how about your hat ribbon material. I can think of all kinds of possibilities. And the entire rig hides in your jacket pocket.

If you're really stingy, simply use your work ID badge lanyard and a binder clip from the office.

Of course, don't forget you placed the cord/string under under the burning candle on the table before you give it a yank! :eek:

Bill

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Wil Tam said:

Yeah, right- AS IF people who wear ball caps ever take them off inside. I saw a clip on TV from some big church and people ( louts, barbarians) were wearing ball caps in there. I doubt if God cares, but I sure can't get my mind around the fact that these people not only weren't dressed up- whatsoever- to go worship the Supreme Being Of Their Choice- they were barely dressed well enough to sit at the bar at Applebee's......with their ball caps on, of course.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Daoud said:
Yeah, right- AS IF people who wear ball caps ever take them off inside. I saw a clip on TV from some big church and people ( louts, barbarians) were wearing ball caps in there. I doubt if God cares, but I sure can't get my mind around the fact that these people not only weren't dressed up- whatsoever- to go worship the Supreme Being Of Their Choice- they were barely dressed well enough to sit at the bar at Applebee's......with their ball caps on, of course.

Daoud, do you know the difference between God and us. Like no matter how smartly dressed and such we may be? I mean like, do you really know what God looks like?

Well I'll tell ya :D !

God is a smartly dressed man with a nice hat who never runs out of ammo lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy