Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attack of the spread collars

scarmebb

Suspended
Jovan said:
The spread collar shirt I have is already a bit flamboyant, not pale pink at all. It was a nice experiment (online bespoke from Baron Boutique), but I believe I prefer the medium spread collar I have that's RTW.

Pics for comparison.

My narrowest collar.
trouser2.jpg

Medium spread.
vestpants1.jpg

Widest spread.
nc5.jpg

I would not call any of those collars wide spread. The bottom one is a standard Windsor type, and though the pink is difficult to take, the shape is pretty nice.

I also really like the shower curtain in the middle picture and how it matches both the bathroom tile and the bar of soap. VERY NICE!!!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm not a fan of spread collars, but they don't look good on me in any case. I do see some of the sportscasters on ESPN with spread collars, but they usually have tie knots that are in proportion - which to me makes the not look the size of a racquet ball. It's not a look that I have ever liked!

I will admit that for the past 20 years I've liked moderate collars, and I have a distinct preference for button-downs. I know that the button-down is a less formal look, but I seldom dress formally and I have one white and one pink shirt with non-button collar for those occasions.

Actually, I haven't worn the non-button shirts in years. I used them primarily when appearing on-camera for TV events, as button-downs have a tendency to pull and look too tight on camera. A standard, non-button collar is better for on-camera work because it won't have visible pull lines.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It comes down to this: some collars 'look' better on some physical types than on others. On some men, spread collars look great.

Today, the mass-produced shirt market offers much less variety in collar shapes than it used to. In the turn of the 20th century, the number of different collar styles available was staggering -- at least 50! -- and often the differences were very subtle. In other words, any man could find a collar that suited him, and he certainly wouldn't get bored!

Such variety was made possible by the detachable collar. Instead of buying a whole shirt (or six or seven), you could more cheaply purchase six or seven different types of collars for it. This demand for a variety of collar styles continued into the 1930s, when attached collar shirts came into vogue. Even then, a man could choose from among a dozen attached collar styles. Today, you'd have to turn to custom shirtmakers for such options.

jml90

One of the Regulars
Most of what I see/own are point collars. The spread collars I see are not even what I consider a true spread but, a semi spread. I can't stan'd those old collars everyone loves that are so close together. I look better in a larger spread because I have a wide face. Too narrow a collar makes my head look swollen though, with my straight collars I tend to wear a bar. I find A LOT of point collars.
http://www.josbank.com/IWProductSea...ategory=Style&RFValue=Point+Collar&SortBy=BSL

http://www.landsend.com/cd/index/fp/0,,36937,00.html?sid=0779153562385112090#18306

http://search.brooksbrothers.com/?i...point&search.x=0&search.y=0&t1=Men&u1=q&u2=t1

http://search.brooksbrothers.com/?items=0&q=tennis+collar&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Only collar I would say that's easier to find is button down. The spread I like (English style both cutaway and regular) are much harder to find in the states.

manton

A-List Customer
The widest spread collars I have ever seen are these wacky things made by Udeshi. They look really strange to me, to be honest.

manton

A-List Customer
Yeah, to be clear, I like a lot of what Udeshi does, but that collar is a bit much. It doesn't even have historical accuracy going for it. Not for me, certainly.

manton

A-List Customer
Vladimir Berkov said:
I actually really like that look. From the collar, to the tie, to the shawl collar on the coat.
I think it's a vest. It seems to have a bemberg back and no sleeves.

jml90

One of the Regulars
manton said:
It doesn't even have historical accuracy going for it. Not for me, certainly.
I didn't know clothing needed historical accuracy. Maybe I just misunderstand what you're saying.

manton

A-List Customer
jml90 said:
I didn't know clothing needed historical accuracy. Maybe I just misunderstand what you're saying.
Merely that something that is otherwise outlandish looking might nonetheless have been widespread in the past, and that might account for people's interest. In my opinion that spread does not look good in the present, and I am pretty sure nothing like it was ever worn in the past.

Jovan

Suspended
Well, always remember that someone at some point invented every part of the suits and shirts you wear now. Someone had to go out there and say, "This doesn't have historical precedence, but to hell with it," in the past. :)

With that said, I don't like that extreme spread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner