Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attack of the spread collars

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
Yeah, I've seen the very widespread collars a couple times on television. I've never liek the look of them. The spread collars of today arn't bad, for the most part. I like them primarily because I have recently fallen in love with the doouble windsor.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Feng_Li said:
That's not a collar, it's a condition! :eek:
There's someone whose spread collar actually IS attacking him.

condemned_short_of_breath.jpg

***CHOKE!***GASP!***SPLUTTER!***

JamesT1

Familiar Face
I sort of like that collar Tomasso posted - If not just for irony's sake. I wouldn't mind having one or two shirts like that.

The shirts would have to have a rather interesting pattern on it though.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wing collars

Not to change the subject, but I'm curious about wing collars. I saw on a website that I linked to from here, that a bowtie should never be worn without a wing collar, which I think is silly. But I have sometimes wanted to try the "Neville Chamberlain" look, with the dark bowtie and wing collar. Problem is, I can't find shirts with wing collars that don't have that Tuxedo shirt ruffled front. Any suggestios?

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Not to change the subject, but I'm curious about wing collars. I saw on a website that I linked to from here, that a bowtie should never be worn without a wing collar, which I think is silly. But I have sometimes wanted to try the "Neville Chamberlain" look, with the dark bowtie and wing collar. Problem is, I can't find shirts with wing collars that don't have that Tuxedo shirt ruffled front. Any suggestios?

Wing collars haven't been part of non-formal wear for 70 or 80 years, at least. Anyone who saw you would probably assume you had nothing to wear besides a formal shirt. I'd advise just wearing a turndown collar with your bowties, unless your bowtie is black or white and you're wearing a dinner jacket or tailcoat.

Still, if you insist on doing it, check here: http://www.vintageshirt.co.uk/

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I believe I remember Manton making a distinction once between frock coats, which are dead, and fedoras, which are merely archaic and on life support. In my opinion, wing collars with informal dress is in the former category: dead and gone.

But Indy, you and the family do look good.

Jovan

Suspended
Beautiful wife and kid you have!

I think if you're going to do a wing collar, you should have the appropriate period suit as well. But this is coming from a guy wearing an unlined jacket, shirt, jeans, and sneakers right now... feel free to ignore.

I kind of like the look of this collar (also a wing collar?) as well, despite it being severely outdated.

tails2.jpg

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Jovan said:
I kind of like the look of this collar (also a wing collar?) as well, despite it being severely outdated.

tails2.jpg

That's not a wing but a standup or "Imperial" style collar. Luke Eyres sells them, as does Amazon Dry Goods.

The man who was the pastor of my church for over 40 years (1900s-1940s) wore those collars until he died. There are great pictures of him as an old man wearing what look like outfits from the 1900s in the midst of a group of young people in '30s and '40s fashions.

You kinda forget, sometimes, that styles didn't change all at one time and that old styles linger for years or decades while things change around them.

Rittmeister

Familiar Face
I recently picked up several YSL shirts made in Italy that had straight point collars (nice length) with either french cuffs or two button barrel cuffs. I found them at Century 21 here in NY. I would try ebay.

Regarding wearing a wing collar with a regular suit, I have seen this often in films and pcitures from the late 20s and early 30s, worn with a regular or bow tie. It seems to have died out during the 30s, but is often seen in films on hotel managers, fashion house managers and similar types throughout the 30s. I think the look is great, but probably too period for today.

DerMann

Practically Family
There are many pictures of Albert Einstein wearing wing tipped collars with a three piece tweed suit and silk neck tie.

Personally, I like the the look it creates. I wore a high wing collar with blue tie that matched my gown and mortarboard. While it isn't as formal as wearing a bow-tie, it is still very sharp.

As for the staff wearing wing tipped collars and neckties, I think that has to do a lot with the way staff used to dress during the era. You'll also notice that at white tie events the staff would also be wearing tails but with a black waistcoat and black bow tie, so as to distinguish themselves from the guests. Stephen Fry wears a wing tipped collar with a tightly knotted, black necktie in Jeeves and Wooster as well. It's very possible to wear a wing tipped collar with a necktie, just try and stay away from black and white.

Next years fashion "IT"

Orgetorix said:
I believe I remember Manton making a distinction once between frock coats, which are dead, and fedoras, which are merely archaic and on life support. In my opinion, wing collars with informal dress is in the former category: dead and gone.
We go thru a lot of what's dead and dying here in the Lounge, but we also can be part of what is new and what's been revived. Fashion turns and the pendulem swings, but we are in control of our own style and somebody here may come up with the next thing.

Feraud

Bartender
Rittmeister said:
I recently picked up several YSL shirts made in Italy that had straight point collars (nice length) with either french cuffs or two button barrel cuffs. I found them at Century 21 here in NY. I would try ebay.
Thanks for the tip. I've had a horrible time finding French cuff/pointy collars to suit my taste. Most collars are too spread for my taste. I am considering going the custom route but will try Century 21.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails